Trailer Customization Phase 1: Outlander Sherpa II

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Hello Folks:

Ed Bernal here and I'd like to share my plans for customizing a great little trailer that I bought this past fall from a fellow ExPo member from Rhode Island.
My 11 year old son and I really enjoy to camp/hike/fish/canoe in wilderness settings as opposed to campgrounds and we usually go to Vermont or the Adirondacks in NY state.
Like most of you here at ExPo, I like to get away from civilization as often as I can. As our adventures became longer and the amount of gear and suppiles grew
over the years, it became apparent that I needed a better way to haul this stuff. Stuffing all my crap into every cubic inch of space of my wife's Jeep Liberty got OLD.
A couple years ago, my old man gave me his beautifully maintained Ford F250 diesel and I used it on a couple of trips but the truck had 2 major disadvantages:
It was a 2 x 4 (Pop lives in florida) and it was a diesel. I MUCH prefer to camp in the cool/cold temps of fall/early winter and where I like to camp there are NO outlets to plug
in an engine block heater into. The 2 x 4 aspect is well, pretty self-explanatory. So as much as I liked the truck to tool around town, I decided to sell it and look for a small camping trailer.

I read a ton of threads on this particular board and learned alot about what would work for me. I soon realized that this type of camp trailer was no where near as popular
here on the east coast as it is "out west". I first thought of doing what alot of you guys did and look for a surplus military trailer but honestly, I did not really look forward
to a big-time restoration project. I looked around for one in very good condition for a while with no luck. I came across a different type of trailer for sale here on ExPo within a 4 - 5 hour drive of home so looked into this brand of trailer called Outlander Trailers located in Arkansas. The Sherpa II is thier largest model and what drew me to the design was its modularity. Alot of expo-type trailers
are a tub design in its most basic form. This trailer is a rectangular, tubular steel "space frame" if you will, that is roughly a 4' wide, 6' long and 2.5' high. The tougue assembly is about 4' long
and the trailer has 2 side boxes @ 10Hx10Wx38L and a large 48Wx48Lx30H main cargo box. A 24Wx48Lx30H open cargo area and 2 jerry can holders. Here are a couple of production shots the seller posted on his for sale ad:

1.jpg

4.jpg

After realizing how well this trailer fit my needs and how easy it would be for a person of my moderate skill to customize this rig I asked "the boss" for the additional greenbacks to be able
to close the deal with the seller. A week or so later, I was rolling home to NJ with my new big-boy-toy. I poured over this thing what seemed like every day for a week coming up with
ways to customize it to suit my particular needs - wait it WAS everyday for a week!! :wings: :luxhello: :drool: :friday: :jumping: :clapsmile: OK enough of that.....these are the major
modifications I would like to make:

1. Remove the 10 x 10 x 38 side boxes and replace them with larger 18 x 18 x 48 steel side boxes
2. Buy a third of the original side box and install them stacked in the front of the trailer right over the tougue.
3. Relocate the jerry can holder on the right side over to the left side, next to the other JC holder to provide clear access
to the open cargo area.
4. Add a swing-out spare tire carrier onto the back of the trailer.
5. Build a Camp Kitchen / Galley into one of the new, larger sideboxes.
6. Build a "power station" with perhaps a small honda generator and battery system (will need lots-o-help with that)
7. Install 5lb propane bottles (the short/fat ones) and holders on the right and left side rear fenders
8. Clean and repaint the tube steel frame and expanded metal mesh.
9. Repaint all storage boxes ( or preferably have the boxes "wrapped" in a custom vinyl wrap - maybe a camo pattern or topo map design)
10. Of course and lastly, install a rooftop tent.

She looks Like this at the moment:

sherpa 2A.jpg

Sooooooo, come christmas time, santa saw it fit to give me a couple of new side boxes for my new-to-me-mule and after all the holiday
hustle and bustle, I began to layout PHASE I of my evil plan: Remove existing side boxes and install the new, larger ones AND build
the kitchen / galley into one of these new boxes. Thanks for reading and I'll post up the galley build in the next one...

Last edited:

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Niiiiiiiiiice!

Congratulations on your new trailer. Welcome to the Outlander family...You are going to love your Sherpa II.

Profile-1.jpg

Profile3.jpg

2012-02-24_18-06-37_500.jpg

Here is my build thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...nder-Trailer-Sherpa-II-project-Dial-up-beware!

Regards,

BWJ

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Looking forward to seeing what you do to it Ed. Are you bringing it to the float trip?

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Hey BWJ: I actually read your whole build thread during my buying process - your Sherpa is rigged to the teeth! Very nice...

Mark: It will most definitely will be with me on the float trip - can't wait.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Hello Folks...

So here goes Phase I - The first thing I wanted to customize on the trailer is a galley, chuck box, kamp kitchen or whatever you want to call it. One of the most frustrating things for me
about campouts was rummaging thru the big plastic tote that would hold all my cooking gear. After a few days, it would be a giant mess of half a dozen plastic bags and half-ripped boxes.
My approach to this project was to replace to long, skinny side boxes with larger, more robust ones. After searching here and other sources, I chose steel "underbody truck boxes" that are
commonly seen on wreckers, dump trucks etc... Now, if I'm going to get critiqued, it'll be for going with the steel material. Yes, these suckers are heavy, but I wanted something more secure
than the original aluminum ones. They are OK for light storage, but I think I can open them with a can opener. I chose 18 x 18 x 48 Buyer Truck Boxes for this portion of my project.
Buyer box.jpg toolbox.jpg

My concept was to build a plywood chuck box that would then be slid into the steel side box. I wanted the box to contain and organize the following: a coleman liquid fuel 2-burner stove,
two coleman single burner stoves, pots/pans, disposable plates and bowls, forks/knives/spoons/utensils, extra fuel and whatever else I could reasonably fit into it. I chose to use pre-finished
1/2" Maple plywood for the box - it very pricey @ $92 a sheet but I LOVE this material. I have a sketch that I drew up but I keep forgetting to scan it at the office to post here. Hopefully I'll
remember and upload it later on. There were 2 major hurdles to clear with these steel boxes themselves: 1. Removing the stiffener on the lid and 2. deal with the latches that the locks snap
into - they would interfere with the chuck box. I would have to grind off the stiffener and design the chuck box to clear the 2 latches (you can see the 2 silver latches mounted on the top
inside part of the box in the pic below).

DSC00949.JPG

Last edited:

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
The next part was to build the chuck box. I designed the various compartments to the dimensions of the gear I wanted to store in it. The right side compartment
would hole a 1 gallon can of coleman fuel, (2) single burner stoves (stacked) and 2 smaller fuel bottles. The left, and largest compartment would hole the main stove
and the pots and pans. I decided to divide this compartment horizontally on adjustable standards in the event that I change the stove or cookware in the future.
The remaining space in between these 2 compartments would be for everything else. So after laying this out on paper (again sorry for NOT posting the sketch) I got to
work cutting up, gluing and nailing/screwing all the plywood pieces together and ripping a couple of grooves on the top of the box to allow the chuck box to slide into
the metal side box. I finished off the chuckbox by edge banding the exposed edges of the plywood with some iron-on maple veneer and filling/sanding the nail holes.

DSC00962.JPG

DSC00961.JPG

DSC00960.JPG

DSC00963.JPG

As the chuckbox came together, I started loading it with all the things I originally wanted to carry in it. It soon became apparent to me that I had more space
in this thing than I imagined. I knew I was going to build one large drawer for the plastic cutlery and utensils, but I decided to build a series of drawers to take
advantage of all the remaining space that I could. The last remaining major portion of this project (aside from actally mounting the new boxes onto the trailer)
was to add a durable work surface to the inside lid of the metal side box. This would create a table top when the box was opened and it would restore some of
the strength that was lost when I removed the metal stiffener. I'll continue with these 2 aspects in my next post. Thanks for reading and thanks to all of you that
posted up your builds. They served as my main inspiration when I got around to doing my thing. I am nowhere near as talented as some of you guys who built their
rigs from scratch. I wouldn't know which end of a torch to light but I do have some basic carpentry skills and tools so this became a very enjoyable project to
tackle over the winter months.

Last edited:

loren85022

Explorer
I'm at the sketchit phase of my trailer chuckbox. Nice work.

Any thoughts of making the interior of door a flat countertop? Albeit with two latches.

TheThom

Adventurer
Nice work!! I think I would've sprung for nice plywood and finished it myself ($92 per sheet!!). But it looks terrific. Nice lines, good carpentry. I have similar plans for my build, but I'll likely have a removable box stowed in a cabinet so I can remove it and cook away from the trailer (pop up camper w/ canvas sides - don't want to attract the bears).

Thom

medic83

Observer
I wanted to do one on top of the fenders. Where did you get them and how much are they? ANy idea of the weight of each box? Id prob go with something around 36" long

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
I'm at the sketchit phase of my trailer chuckbox. Nice work.

Any thoughts of making the interior of door a flat countertop? Albeit with two latches.

Done already - just ran outta time to post up that part. Used corian to make a counter top. Will post a bit later when I have more time to 'splain.

Last edited:

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
I wanted to do one on top of the fenders. Where did you get them and how much are they? ANy idea of the weight of each box? Id prob go with something around 36" long

Got them at a local Truck supply shop but many online shops carry them. Google "Buyer Underbody Truck Boxes" and you'll get a bunch of sites. Paid $350 (tax and all) each - I bought 2 of 'em. If I remember correctly they are 130 lbs a piece. After I got done with them they prolly weigh 500 lbs! They do make them in 36" so you should be GTG...

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Lookin' good!
If you don't find a RTT by July, I have a Mombasa covered entry with changing room for sale. I'll be heading to Hackensack for July 4, then spending a couple weeks in the NE. You're gonna LOVE your Sherpa. I've had mine for about 18 months, and I love it. I don't get to use it nearly enough, but I still spend time playing with it in the garage when I get the chance.

I have been looking to change up my chuckbox. Since I now have a trailer, I was investigating an external chuckbox witch I would locate over the wheel well. Came across this site http://www.americantruckboxes.com/utilitytoolboxes.html and figured with enough searching I could find something off the shelf which would work.

My plan is to get a well built aluminum box and the build a wood insert to divide into sections.

I made a chuck box for me jeep. Sized it so the box and engle fridge will sit side by side. Works great but was a pita to build. I purchased accuply from lowes since it was dimensional and had nice finish. I had a horrible time after I patterned the wood and started cutting it. By the time I was 1/2 to 3/4 through cutting all the pieces I noticed the first pieces I cut started to potato chip. I could not believe how bad the wood warped like crazy after it was cut.

One piece 24x24 when set flat warped almost 4 ". After some cursing and a ton of bar clamps I was able to get the damn thing together. Long story short I don't use accuply. I have worked with tons of plywood in my day and never experienced anything like that before.

If you build it stick with good materials.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Ed, that is looking sexy! I can't wait to see it done! Keep with the updates, it's some great reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven