Trailer Frame Size

fd6axc4

I'm interested in a trailer and have been looking around for some time. There's a place that I found that makes reasonably priced overland type trailers, but I know absolutely nothing about them. I think they are a relatively new start up. Dimension wise, it's 72"x66"x114" (WxHxL) and weighs about 807lbs.

One concern I have is the frame. It's a 2x2 square steel tubing structure. A second 2x2 is added to the neck from the hitch to the axle to reinforce it. The wall thickness is unknown.

Is the steel used in this frame strong enough for a true overland trailer? I'm thinking something equivalent to a Dinoot or M416. It looks like the Manley uses a 2x4x1/8" frame. This concerns me a bit just because I want to make sure I get something strong enough.

Thanks!

opp1

M416 use folded C shape . sadly Frames become more mine's bigger than yours ,.
Allowable Load At Center Of C channel Steel Angle
and "C" Channel Span Guideline at 8 foot 1270. C channel you can see the rust happening. three times as much Steel as a 416 frame .Go look under your tow vehicle look how much steel is there why in the hell would you have more Steel in a trailer just being drug it must be at mine's bigger than yours thing https://www.dlbensinger.com/shop/frame-mbt/

fd6axc4

and "C" Channel Span Guideline at 8 foot 1270. C channel you can see the rust happening. three times as much Steel as a 416 frame .Go look under your tow vehicle look how much steel is there why in the hell would you have more Steel in a trailer just being drug it must be at mine's bigger than yours thing https://www.dlbensinger.com/shop/frame-mbt/

If I understand you correctly, I shouldn't be worried about 2x2 square tubing for the frame, as the tow vehicles usually have less?

opp1

yes
I have become a fan of c channel 3'' .....3.5 lbs. it is the webbing that give it's strength . any cross support I box the out side rails at point of contact

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Coming from rock crawling side my Jeep/buggy has 2x2 control arms and not been babied no issues. Also my 4x6 trailer I built w 3/16 angle it’s a box w alum walls. Welded the leafs to one side of the angle. So I’d say go for it lol

Av8Chuck

I too am new to this so any information you provide is greatly appreciated. I'm not so much "building" a trailer as I am restoring/remodeling it. I have a folded C shape frame and its very rigid but it's also surprisingly heavy. I'm too old to get caught up in "my frame is bigger than yours" but I would like to shed some weight so I've been thinking of building the next frame out of aluminum. However, when I looked at the link you provided for the $522 1/4 ton jeep trailer, well I just paid more than that for my fenders, is that for just the metal and I'd have to weld it or is that for the completed frame? I can call them, I just thought you might already know.

PAINT-3.jpg

PAINT-1.jpg

FENDER 2.JPG

opp1

I posted just for the picture . I see many going 2 by 3'' . With1/8 '' wall for a 1000 pound trailer. An extremely heavy trailer keeps costing when you build it and then wear tear on your tow vehicle

ScottReb

Adventurer
WIthout checking engineering specs 2x2x.120 tube should be fine on a sub 2000+ # trailer. That being said you can break anything! We use 2x3x.120 for 3500#, but engineering wise we could have stepped down to .083 wall and been "adequate." Wanted to be more than adequate! LOL

billiebob

WIthout checking engineering specs 2x2x.120 tube should be fine on a sub 2000+ # trailer. That being said you can break anything! We use 2x3x.120 for 3500#, but engineering wise we could have stepped down to .083 wall and been "adequate." Wanted to be more than adequate! LOL
Yep, my trailers, all 5x10 have a 3500# axle and 15" wheels. Adequate defines the trailer leaving Home Depot with 10 bags of peat moss.

But before building yer own from scratch look at the commercial manufactured deck and landscape trailers. It is surprizing how they build a 700# trailer.... this one weighs 700#, grosses at 3500#, and has 10 years of commercial service on it.

2000# of rock on board.

DSC_0048.jpg

There is no "frame". The sides wrap under and 2" deep Z bars are the cross member 24" OC. Incredibly simple.

IMG_0700.jpeg

Before buying a welder, check out what you can buy. Not the bolt together crap from Canadian Tire or Lowes but the welded trailers from the guys who only sell trailers. Mine are all Mirage Trailers. The one pictured cost $1100.00. .... in Canada, much less in the USA. And at 10 years old it has paod for itself hauling chimney waste. It is the base for my Square Drop.

IMG_0907.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk