Trailer Hitch Extension Weight Limit Question

zip

I prefer social distancing.
On an E350 with the aftermarket bumper, box, and spare tire, a hitch extension was needed for me to tow a trailer or mount my bike rack.
My hitch extension is around 7 inches long.
I intend to purchase a small dual sport motorcycle, and wondering how much less weight can be carried on the hitch with this extension?
I appreciate any and all constructive advice.

ober27

Adventurer
From what I've found shopping for one on line , they reduce hitch capacity by 50%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240621_091802_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240621_091802_Chrome.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 16

Ozarker

I'd say that has to do with that product because the type of steel, thickness and length can be different.

Also, how much does the dual sport weigh? Is it a 1200cc or a 125 cc?

Regardless, you can strengthen any hollow extension by inserting another piece of box or bar stock inside the extension. [X] or [/] would help.

What's at risk here anyway......a bent extension? It won't break off in pieces, fall out, get stuck in moving parts, just rig a safety chain on the extended cargo and go for it, if it bends in 1000 miles, buy another one!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
According to Curt, anything under 12" long reduces capacity by roughly 25%

Cautionary Considerations for Weight Capacity​

One other important factor to consider when shopping for a hitch extender is weight capacity. The manufacturer should provide weight ratings for the extender, including a gross trailer weight capacity and a tongue weight capacity.
Remember, you must always abide by the lowest-rated component in your towing system.
Additionally, it is important to consider the leverage placed on your receiver hitch and vehicle by heavy cargo. As a general rule, the use of extenders (and hitch adapters) can reduce the tongue weight capacity / vertical load capacity of your vehicle’s receiver hitch. Extenders under 12” long reduce load capacity by 25%, and extenders over 12” reduce load capacity by 50%.

crazysccrmd

Observer
What's at risk here anyway......a bent extension? It won't break off in pieces, fall out, get stuck in moving parts, just rig a safety chain on the extended cargo and go for it, if it bends in 1000 miles, buy another one!

The risk isn’t to the extension, it’s to the hitch and mounting hardware. Those components are rated for weight acting on a short arm. Adding the leverage of an extension reduces that rating significantly.

zip

Appreciate the great responses.
The motorcycle will weigh 350, and the carrier around 50, so looking at close to 400.

Ozarker

The risk isn’t to the extension, it’s to the hitch and mounting hardware. Those components are rated for weight acting on a short arm. Adding the leverage of an extension reduces that rating significantly.
I agree with you, I've only used Class A hitches on my Pickup, now that we know the bike is only 350 pounds, I second my suggestion, you aren't going to snap that hitch from the frame.

zip

Thanks for this fantastic information. So, kinda looks like I shouldn't use the hitch extension then?

Ozarker

Thanks for this fantastic information. So, kinda looks like I shouldn't use the hitch extension then?
Go get opinions from real people, 350 pounds is like me and my dog standing on the ball, seriously, it's nothing.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Go get opinions from real people, 350 pounds is like me and my dog standing on the ball, seriously, it's nothing.

Are you and your dog hanging 18” off the back of the hitch and bouncing off bumps in the road at 50mph+? There’s a huge difference between static load on a ball and the weight in motion with an extended arm. As a static load that works out to about three times the force acting on the point where the hitch mounts due to the extension.

Ozarker

Are you and your dog hanging 18” off the back of the hitch and bouncing off bumps in the road at 50mph+? There’s a huge difference between static load on a ball and the weight in motion with an extended arm. As a static load that works out to about three times the force acting on the point where the hitch mounts due to the extension.
No, but I understand what you're saying, my opinion is; you are over thinking the engineering aspects.

I have a 2 carriers, different types, both hang back at least 18 inches, I don't know what the rating is for one, a bike rack but the other basket type is 500 pounds. Both have gone faster than 50mph. My hitch isn't bent or falling off.

BTW, are you a degreed PE? (Professional Engineer)

I'd think, from experience, you could carry 400 pounds 24 inches back on an extension and you'd not damage or hurt the hitch, over time, months, you might bend the extension, but if you doubled it up as I suggested, it shouldn't phase the extension at all.

400 pounds, not 1000 pounds, just 400.

zip

Thanks for the everyone's input.
After extensive and deep thought, I have decided to go in another direction with my next build.
I was going to put my mountain bikes on front, and motorcycle, spare tire, and storage box on rear.
I am now going to put mountain bikes, spare tire inside, and motorcycle on back with no hitch extender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad