Trailer Hitch Extension Weight Limit Question

jronwood

Adventurer
I carry "WHATEVER the heck i want". The Ford frame can take a 30+" piece of 2"x3" thick walled box tube slid into each side. IMG_20201111_124326331.jpg I have custom built several of these hitches for my vans. You have to lose the spare tire carrier and its frame frame mounts. Stiffen the 2x3 with some cross tube. Weld and bolt the hell out of it. It bears the weight all the way nearly to the axle. I did put Superduty cast mounts and springs on this and single it out to 19.5" full steel cased tires. The white van/XR was a trip to Cali it is 2wd and mostly my everyday driver. Note the XR picture shows use dual mount points (3 recievers on each bumper), this enables me to break down the carrier and store it inside van. 20240602_102654.jpg20240521_113002.jpg

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Impressive work. thanks for sharing. that is quite a stack of leaf springs you have there.

jronwood

Adventurer
And the overload pack doesn't appear functional as there are no upper stops/pads :unsure:
Not yet. And I have had it loaded heavily and no contact with body . The primaries are surprisingly responsive and its as good as could hope for even with a custom spring pack from Alcan $1500+ shipping. Got these basically for free (including mounts) , paid local ambo buddies to do it on there lift. $600 labor, I bought the new u bolts and hardware. Good eye!

zip

Just received this suggestion from Justin at UJOR.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I've been down this road a few times myself and had to use an extension to haul my XR400 (250ish lbs) on my FJ with a Ultimate MX Hauler (60lbs) - I ended up getting an extension that stuck out more than needed so I drilled a second hole to snug everything up as close as I could. I was always worried about it so I ended up going back to a tray type hauler that didn't need an extension. It did survive several long bumpy off pavement trips while I was using it.

A couple of things to also consider.

• My current hauler is 90lbs so I'd make sure of the weight of the one you're using.
  • Bike might not fit with tire carrier and a box mounted on the van. (I was warned about this when I got my lift kit installed)
  • My rear mounted spare was in the way of loading my bike, but I just switched the direction of the wheel holder and now it fits great. I can even load the bike and lean it against the tire while I strap it down. If I had a box on the back this wouldn't be possible.

Bike is about 350lbs w/accessories / Hauler is 97lbs so 450ish lbs total (Black Widow SMC-600R)

Here are some shots of a few extensions showing the one I was using with a second hole drilled

The Curt has a solid steel shank, but I didn't end up using this one

My XR4 on the FJ just felt wrong and when I look back I understand why I was always worried.

zip

I've been down this road a few times myself and had to use an extension to haul my XR400 (250ish lbs) on my FJ with a Ultimate MX Hauler (60lbs) - I ended up getting an extension that stuck out more than needed so I drilled a second hole to snug everything up as close as I could. I was always worried about it so I ended up going back to a tray type hauler that didn't need an extension. It did survive several long bumpy off pavement trips while I was using it.

A couple of things to also consider.

• My current hauler is 90lbs so I'd make sure of the weight of the one you're using.
  • Bike might not fit with tire carrier and a box mounted on the van. (I was warned about this when I got my lift kit installed)
  • My rear mounted spare was in the way of loading my bike, but I just switched the direction of the wheel holder and now it fits great. I can even load the bike and lean it against the tire while I strap it down. If I had a box on the back this wouldn't be possible.

Bike is about 350lbs w/accessories / Hauler is 97lbs so 450ish lbs total (Black Widow SMC-600R)

Here are some shots of a few extensions showing the one I was using with a second hole drilled

The Curt has a solid steel shank, but I didn't end up using this one

My XR4 on the FJ just felt wrong and when I look back I understand why I was always worried.

Cabrito,

Fantastic Info.
Why didn't you continue to use the MX Ultimate Hauler on your new bike/vehicle?
Would a MX Ultimate Hauler work without an extension if there is nothing else on back?
I may be doing my own build, and if so, there will be no spare tire or box on back.
How do you like your Rally? I have followed Itchy Boots, and I am inspired to get the same bike.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Cabrito,

Fantastic Info.
Why didn't you continue to use the MX Ultimate Hauler on your new bike/vehicle?
Would a MX Ultimate Hauler work without an extension if there is nothing else on back?
I may be doing my own build, and if so, there will be no spare tire or box on back.
How do you like your Rally? I have followed Itchy Boots, and I am inspired to get the same bike.

Glad to share my experience especially if it's helpful.
I ended up selling the MX Hauler during the pandemic when I wasn't working - bad decision. I ended up getting a different branded one but haven't tried it yet on my van, and Yes it would have worked on my FJ if the spare tire wasn't there. Not sure about the van yet.
Having the spare on the back of the van is great to hold my Trasharoo and it keeps my handlebars from hitting the rear window (always a fear) if the bike ends up flopping too hard.
I love my Rally and have almost 8k miles on it. For me it fills the gap between a dirt bike, and a small ADV bike, and a street bike. I do wish it had a bit more power, but I love the look of the bike and overall functionality.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on your van.

zip

Glad to share my experience especially if it's helpful.
I ended up selling the MX Hauler during the pandemic when I wasn't working - bad decision. I ended up getting a different branded one but haven't tried it yet on my van, and Yes it would have worked on my FJ if the spare tire wasn't there. Not sure about the van yet.
Having the spare on the back of the van is great to hold my Trasharoo and it keeps my handlebars from hitting the rear window (always a fear) if the bike ends up flopping too hard.
I love my Rally and have almost 8k miles on it. For me it fills the gap between a dirt bike, and a small ADV bike, and a street bike. I do wish it had a bit more power, but I love the look of the bike and overall functionality.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on your van.
Never thought about handlebar hitting rear window.
I am moving to one bike ownership, and the Rally looks like it well work for me. Heard suspension is kinda soft. I am 175 pounds, so not sure if that will be an issue. Only going to be doing light trail riding.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Never thought about handlebar hitting rear window.
I am moving to one bike ownership, and the Rally looks like it well work for me. Heard suspension is kinda soft. I am 175 pounds, so not sure if that will be an issue. Only going to be doing light trail riding.

If you don't secure your bike properly it can hit the rear window when things flex over bumps. Also, if a strap comes loose it can ********** the window. I double strap my bike every time.

Stock suspension on the Rally is good enough unless you ask too much of it. I didn't change the shock for a year or so and found it acceptable while others say it's un-ridable. Stock shock handled Baja just fine, but I was really happy when I upgraded. I'm around 180lbs with riding gear.

Reactions: zip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad