Trailer or Canopy? Or Neither!?

xdeerizx

Hey Forum!

Pretty new here and to the world of Overlanding in general. I am a photographer and currently based out of Atlanta, Georgia. My Fiance and I want to spend a considerable amount of time on the west coast this year and want to be able to get down many roads you otherwise could not without a specialized vehicle. I am looking to go with either a Tundra or 4Runner and want to either build out the 4runner or go with a Patriot PCOR system for the Tundra or perhaps just go with a Patriot trailer or Turtleback.

I would be considered a beginner when it comes to tackling the offroad world so my main concern is having to turn around when I don't feel comfortable with the obstacle ahead. How easy is it to manage a trailer when having to try to turn around in tighter spaces? Also does having the trailer make it more difficult to maneuver around or over terrain on the trail?

Thanks,
Casey

ttengineer

Adventurer
The PCOR is VERY nice, but is ridiculously expensive.

The trailer will offer better livability, and you can leave it off the truck easier than the canopy on a PCOR.

Personally, I want a flat bed with a canopy for my Ram. But if I were essentially living out of the truck for an extended amount of time, I’d get a trailer like the X1 or a conqueror UEV490.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xdeerizx

The PCOR is VERY nice, but is ridiculously expensive.

The trailer will offer better livability, and you can leave it off the truck easier than the canopy on a PCOR.

Personally, I want a flat bed with a canopy for my Ram. But if I were essentially living out of the truck for an extended amount of time, I’d get a trailer like the X1 or a conqueror UEV490.

Good advice, thanks!

From the quote I've received on the 3/4 Canopy and tray from Patriot, it comes out to be a little cheaper then the X1GT. Your advice makes me think of something else that probably kills the trailer for me now. Since I live in Atlanta and most of America's rugged beauty is on the other side of the US, the plan is to leave the vehicle in long term storage at private airport storage or something similar. Having a trailer complicates that situation even more.

Thanks for the input!

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m confused. I thought you were taking the vehicle/trailer out there with you? Isn’t that the point?

I live in Atlanta too, on the north side there are plenty of trailer lots to store a trailer for cheap. I doubt an X1 would cost more than $50/month.

You could also find one of those older outdoor storage places and park it there for cheap too.

xdeerizx

No, no way, I will probably have the work done closer to the Midwest and take it from there and start exploring. Georgia may have some fun trails and nice scenery but doesn't compare to what you can find on the west coast. I'm also not willing to drive from Atl to west coast everytime I want to wander about. Leaving it at airports and coming back and forth is the easiest option. :)

Teardropper

"How easy is it to manage a trailer when having to try to turn around in tighter spaces? Also does having the trailer make it more difficult to maneuver around or over terrain on the trail?"

If you are on a road that is marginal with a trailer you're in the wrong place. Set up your camp near where you want to explore and then go poke around without dragging your camp with you.

hQIjJOR.jpg

And get a camper you don't have to set up. Camping shouldn't be work.

T

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Living and exploring the western states for the last 30 years, I can speak a bit if I had a better idea of what types of terrain your referring to. much of our trails are nothing more than unimproved forest service roads and for the most part easily driven in a four wheel drive (loose rocks often require 4WD for nothing more than traction). I tow small trailers through all of it (M416 Style). A trailer is a great basecamp and can ne unhooked for more driving fun. Many areas offer multiday trails that a basecamp is perfect for. Much easier to unhook and go than repack every time you want to move. Really all falls down to what you want to spend. There are many places you can rent trailers from if you put your time in a do some research ahead of time. Many place you could rent 4WD vehicles. Unless money is no option, buying one and storing it 2,000 plus miles away means it will never get used much. My 2 cents....look for a rental, explore and have fun. It will tell you if you want to take the plunge and spend big money on a trailer/rig set up.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'm a little partial to a trailer..as stated, unhook, setup, and go play.

If you get somewhere you want to stay for a few days, packing up and unpacking a self contained rig...at least to me...would become a drag.

Good luck

LuckyDan

Adventurer
As illuded to, you need to consider “how” you see yourself operating. I own both a FWC truck camper, and now a pop up trailer, so I offer the following:

If you plan or invision yourselves tour camping or wandering, where you are packing and moving daily or almost daily, a canopy, slide in camper or the like has a lot of advantage. If you plan on truly driving off road, not pulling a trailer prevents a lot of hassle, or to answer your question, no trailer means zero trailer hassle to manage.

If you think you’ll camp in a spot for awhile, tend to spread out your camp, or need more covered space, trailers IMHO better fit the bill. As stated, a LOT of the trails in my neck of the woods are USFS haul roads or ex-haul roads built originally to accommodate log trucks, other than terrain difficulties created from disrepair, you could pull an Airstream down them.

In your original post you mentioned being rather new to all this. If you really have limited experience overlanding, boondocking, eco wandering or whatever everyone calls it, as mentioned you might consider doing some renting and traveling. That way you can test your proof of concept and experience how a given camp system fits your needs, your interests and works for you as a couple. It may save you some hassle and coin.

Best of luck with your decision...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater