Trailer roof rack lift...how to?

Lucky j

Explorer
Just to trow my ball in for info, I will be doing a pneumatic lift on mine. 4 x 100 lbs capacity pneumatic actuator mounted inside the post. Will be able to actuate up with OBA, small 12 vlt compressor of even a bike hand pump. Rtt is only about 110 obs, and assume rack an other 100 lbs max. So devided by 4 actuators, 50 lbs of pressure should do it.

Paying like 35$ a piece on sale.

Atchcraft

Just to trow my ball in for info, I will be doing a pneumatic lift on mine. 4 x 100 lbs capacity pneumatic actuator mounted inside the post. Will be able to actuate up with OBA, small 12 vlt compressor of even a bike hand pump. Rtt is only about 110 obs, and assume rack an other 100 lbs max. So devided by 4 actuators, 50 lbs of pressure should do it.

Paying like 35$ a piece on sale.
That's most likely what I'll do as well. Nothing wrong with what I have, but think pneumatic would be pretty cool.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
While mine are also technically inside, my actuators sit inside the tubing to protect them and also to make the setup more compact

JMaXq7n.jpg

kaqNElT.jpg

y84HvPp.jpg

Mccaf

Adventurist
Oh! So glad I found this thread! I actually revised my search to a lighter RTT due to this issue. It's just my wife and me to lift and that ain't going to work!

ATCHCRAFT, PLEASE CHIME BACK IN
So if I need to lift a 200lb RTT and the 1.5 inch tubing and racks (50 lbs?) what size struts would I need and would they fit inside the 1.5" tubing? I like the actuators concept also, but I better keep it simple for now.

Thanks!

Atchcraft

Oh! So glad I found this thread! I actually revised my search to a lighter RTT due to this issue. It's just my wife and me to lift and that ain't going to work!

ATCHCRAFT, PLEASE CHIME BACK IN
So if I need to lift a 200lb RTT and the 1.5 inch tubing and racks (50 lbs?) what size struts would I need and would they fit inside the 1.5" tubing? I like the actuators concept also, but I better keep it simple for now.

Thanks!

My tent is a CVT Rainer and weighs in at about 160#'s and that's a pretty big tent. My rack is about 23' of 1x1.5", .090 wall tube, which it's quite 50#. I'm using 60# gas springs and yes, they do fit in a 1.5" tube. I have a video of setting up the tent, but I'm not exactly the best at posting that stuff. I'm going to take a close up pic of the tube and post it, if that will help. From what you described, I'd still use the 60# springs.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/all-products/shopby/ln_stroke_c-19-22/

Mccaf

Adventurist
My tent is a CVT Rainer and weighs in at about 160#'s and that's a pretty big tent. My rack is about 23' of 1x1.5", .090 wall tube, which it's quite 50#. I'm using 60# gas springs and yes, they do fit in a 1.5" tube. I have a video of setting up the tent, but I'm not exactly the best at posting that stuff. I'm going to take a close up pic of the tube and post it, if that will help. From what you described, I'd still use the 60# springs.

]

Thank you, thank you!

Atchcraft

Thank you, thank you!

No problem! I wanted to add that the CVT claimed shipping weight of 206lbs. includes the annex, floor, boxing and other crap that will not be on your tent when it's on the roof or rack. I also want to add that my setup is based on using an old, floppy 1958 Dodge truck bed (still worth it IMO). If I was building the trailer from scratch, it'd most likely be a bit different. The only reason that I used 1.75" square tube is because it fit perfectly in the bed' stake hole thingy. I'd also highly suggest using DOM round tubing. Not for strength, but DOM has no seam to deal with when inserting another tube inside (giggity).

When I pop the pins, the 60lb. Gas strut springs will easily lift the tent, and more weight if you want, most of the way up by itself. The reason I would never go with a higher pressure is coming back down.

Matt

84-4runner

I am also interested in your rack and platform
It appears that the top is 1inch by 1.5 inch by ? wall thickness
the adjustable rack is 1.5 square by .120 thickness
and the lower part is 1.75 square by ??? wall thickness
did the 1.75 have the seam removed or did you remove it?
all the info will help since I am now in the build stage of my rack
just finished the trailer
thanks

Atchcraft

I am also interested in your rack and platform
It appears that the top is 1inch by 1.5 inch by .095 wall thickness
the adjustable rack is 1.5 square by .120 thickness
and the lower part is 1.75 square by .120wall thickness
did the 1.75 have the seam removed or did you remove it?
Truth be told, I forgot about the EW seam until I got home from the steel shop. So, I cut a groove in the inner tube. Yes, it sucked and I felt like a rookie. So go with seamless or DOM tubing.
all the info will help since I am now in the build stage of my rack
just finished the trailer
thanks
I'd also add that the rack tube that runs the length of the trailer might be better as just 1.5" square, or there abouts. I'll get some pics up of the lift tubes ASAP.
Matt

Mccaf

Adventurist
I like your design. More pix and maybe a simple schematic diagram would be appreciated. Any issues with the whole system rattling in the upper position when you are in the RTT? Does the water that seeps through where the 2 tubings meet drains at the bottom of the lower tube?

By the way, what do you call those pop in pins that you have on the adjustable portion of the risers? And where did you get them??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater