Trailer setup - Solar Gen or dedicated battery

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
There's lots of info out there which I've spent a lot of time reading...but i'd like to get some clarification to keep my sanity.

In the process of building a little gear hauler trailer. We currently have a cooler, but will someday upgrade to a fridge.

The things that we'd need to power are:
Fridge
Interior drawer lights (to see where things are at in the dark)
Cooking light (something over the pull out kitchen)
Water pump for tankless water heater showers
USB charging capabilities (mostly for phones, Kindles whatever other small devices)
Capability to solar charge the battery when the vehicle isn't running
We will NOT be running any sort of household appliances like coffee makers, waffle makers etc.

I know that a pre-made Solar Generator would be a quick and easy solution, but I'm wondering if for our needs listed above, something like a simple deep cycle battery or dual 6V batteries would be a cheaper alternative.

I'd like to run one of those 6 gang rocker switch panels somewhere on the trailer as well. Apart from needing a solar controller, I'm just still a little bit confused about what other main components are needed to run everything.

Battery + Solar controller + solar panel(s) + Fuse block + what else am I missing?

Hopefully someone can give some input/products that would be sufficient for the above needs that might be a cheaper alternative to a ready to go solar generator. Space isn't an issue as far as putting something together in the trailer.

As far as powering the fridge, the most we'd be in one spot without moving is 2-3 days, but that's where solar could come into play.

REF

I may be missing what you’re after, but I’d go with a dedicated battery and either a mounted solar panel or a portable suitcase solar panel, you can get these portable suitcase panels with or without a built in charge controller.
I have a Renogy hard side 100W suitcase panel without controller with a 25ft cable that I use to supplement the 200W on my van roof, I plug it into a side port on the van that is wired in with the other panels into my onboard Victron controller.
The portable often does a better job vs my flat mounted panels due to the fact that it’s angled and I can move it to follow the sun throughout the day, especially since we often park the rig in the shade of trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
I may be missing what you’re after, but I’d go with a dedicated battery and either a mounted solar panel or a portable suitcase solar panel, you can get these portable suitcase panels with or without a built in charge controller.
I have a Renogy hard side 100W suitcase panel without controller with a 25ft cable that I use to supplement the 200W on my van roof, I plug it into a side port on the van that is wired in with the other panels into my onboard Victron controller.
The portable often does a better job vs my flat mounted panels due to the fact that it’s angled and I can move it to follow the sun throughout the day, especially since we often park the rig in the shade of trees.

I'm trying to figure out if there are other components that I'm not thinking of/that I need for this setup. Also trying to get input if a single deep cycle or 2 6V batteries are going to offer better results at a better price. Not looking to go hog wild, bringing every kitchen gadget with us so I don't think we need an inverter... things like that that I'm trying to figure out if we need it or not.

REF

I’ve always gone with a good quality 12v sealed AGM over a regular lead acid battery, look at Lifeline or Odyssey, I’ve had good luck with the Duracell branded East Penn/Deka AGM’s found at batteries+
As far as an inverter, not a necessity but nice to have if you ever want the option to charge a laptop or plug in a small appliance. As far as other components, it doesn’t sound like you need a complicated system, and you’re probably best off not getting into a lithium based system for your needs, so I’d say stick with simple, easy to use and low maintenance. Can’t go wrong with a Victron controller and Renogy panels, proven reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
When faced with a similar thought, I chose to put the same battery in my trailer as I use for starting and running the Jeep. I have the fridge and solar on the Jeep, not the trailer, but always thought that having the trailer battery along would be good for a jump or emergency swap if needed in the field. I probably won’t ever need that, but it sounds useful on the internet!

Had the same problem and was going to do a second setup like the one Redarc manager30 with a battery, solar, and shore hookup but then just went with a Bluetti and put panels on the RTT on the roof. Does everything i need, can run both 12v and 110, easily charges itself in place and i can run an extension cord from the truck while driving to charge while driving and can do shore power hookup if at a site. Made it really easy choice once i broke down the cost of creating another system in the trailer to mirror the truck.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Had the same problem and was going to do a second setup like the one Redarc manager30 with a battery, solar, and shore hookup but then just went with a Bluetti and put panels on the RTT on the roof. Does everything i need, can run both 12v and 110, easily charges itself in place and i can run an extension cord from the truck while driving to charge while driving and can do shore power hookup if at a site. Made it really easy choice once i broke down the cost of creating another system in the trailer to mirror the truck.

You already have a power setup/second battery in your rig already? And then did a second system (Bluetti) on your trailer? If you already have one in your rig, mind sharing how you have it set up? What components there are? I plan on having about a 20" wide by 36" tall area to work with for the electrical components opposite of where the fridge/cooler slide is going to be, place the space on top of the cooler if needed.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Any idea on cost comparison to build a simple system for my power needs vs. a Bluetti EB70S ( BLUETTI EB70S Portable Power Station | 800W 716Wh (bluettipower.com) ) or say an EcoFlow River 2 Pro ( EcoFlow RIVER 2 Pro Portable Power Station - EcoFlow US ).

I definitely like the easy, compact, maneuverability of one of the above units as we could use a plug in fan inside the tent or move it around camp for whatever reason. Especially if cost isn't a huuuuge difference.

The Bluetti on sale right now for $520 and the EcoFlow out of stock for $650. Looking for a dollar to dollar comparison without solar panels as that's going to be needed for either unit.

Is making a good, quality AGM type battery setup substantially cheaper than say the $500-600 range of these premade setups when on sale?

REF

While they do have their place and are nice and compact, the problem with some of these all in one units is that they are built to a price point, and when one component fails, the whole thing becomes an expensive paper weight.
If it fits the bill, give it a go, see if it works for your needs, it can always be used as a backup to an installed system later on.

You already have a power setup/second battery in your rig already? And then did a second system (Bluetti) on your trailer? If you already have one in your rig, mind sharing how you have it set up? What components there are? I plan on having about a 20" wide by 36" tall area to work with for the electrical components opposite of where the fridge/cooler slide is going to be, place the space on top of the cooler if needed.

when I get back in town I’ll take some pictures and explain the setup. I basically turned the ram into a camper type setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach