Transmission Cooler Choices

vectorsc

Adventurer
I took my truck up the demon hill again (30 mph at 3000RPM UP a 7-10percent grade for 15 mins) and got the AT overheat light again. Thinking it was the sensor I pulled out my IR thermometer.

The fluid sender pipe was at 276degrees. I believe the light comes on at 280 degrees.

Translation - I think i need a cooler to run this hill. Maybe my ARB has compromised the airflow to my factory one, or the body lift has hurt it some.

Any recommendations on a good aftermarket one, and should I get a fan driven one? Maybe chain the fan unit after my factory unit?

I added a trans cooler inline with the factory one. It came off a scrapped 1994 ford explorer factory one. I put it in front of the factory oil cooler and added a 9" electric pusher fan. Really helped keep temps down.

y3eda8ym.jpg

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
There are some comments I've seen where guys add a bypass switch to the AC fans to kick it on at the flip of a switch to get air moving in that general zone. Seems like a pretty simple fix assuming it works well.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I added a second factory cooler below the first one. Cost me about $14 bucks. Never had any temp issues. The temp light has never come on at all actually...I've towed 6500 lbs a couple times and climbed some serious hills fully loaded. My hood is also vented.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I used to get the AT light as well on major inclines until I did the AC fan mod. Never had a problem since.

It's very simple. Just ground one of the wires and it will kick on.

GrassCat

Adventurer
I used to get the AT light as well on major inclines until I did the AC fan mod. Never had a problem since.

It's very simple. Just ground one of the wires and it will kick on.

Or you can just unplug the compressor. The plug is by the battery. In the cab turn on the air and the fan will start.

I also used two stock transmission coolers and rerouted the hoses so they did not run though the radiator. This way the engine water does not transfer heat to the transmission or the transmission does not heat the engine water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333