Transmission/radiator Cross Contamination

penski61

Observer
just the new one , the one behind the grille you see in the pic is gone

i took out the stock cooler and installed the one behind the grille but it wasnt keeping the temps down even with a fan
so i got the large cooler

bigdog

Adventurer
Will - You don't need to be too worried. Since you have a nismo, you have an external cooler anyways, all you have to do is bypass it. Its free!

I don't think the NISMO package has anything to do with it. My understanding is that all of the Automatics have the external cooler. So you could bypass the radiator portion of the trans cooler system, but there is some question as to whether the external one is big enough on its own.

just the new one , the one behind the grille you see in the pic is gone

i took out the stock cooler and installed the one behind the grille but it wasnt keeping the temps down even with a fan so i got the large cooler

interesting. how big was the first one you tried? I was thinking about replacing the stock cooler with a B&M 24k in the stock location. I wonder if there is a way to tell how big the oem one is (in gvw/btu)

tombodad

Adventurer
You may be right, I thought that any nismo auto, or any auto with the two package, had it. Maybe they all do? I wouldn't be surprised though, if all 2wds and SEs and LEs didn't... (although most probably have tow packages. who buys trucks without one anyways?)

regardless, mine has one, and so far have not had a problem with trans temps, afaik. I only tow a small cargo trailer very regularly though, and even the heavy loads (about 4500 ish) are not very far, or uphill, so its hard to say if its enough. Also, I do not have a trans temp guage, so rely only on the ecu to throw a code if it gets too hot...

doublenaut7

Nissan now has to address issue

There has been lots of talk on CF about radiators failing and contaminating the trans fluid with radiator coolant. When this happens the cars begin to shift poorly, there is a "strawberry milkshake" in the radiator and Nissan is not paying for the new transmisions becasue they claim the radiator (which is not a warrentied item) failed causing the transmission to fail.

So my question is, how many folks on this board have experianced a similar probelm with their Nissan. We know this affects 05/06 Frontiers and Xterras but wonder what other years and platforms are also experianing this problem.

I am also curious to know what folks are doing to prevent this from happening on their truck.

I have an 07 pathfinder that has this issue. The trans has completely shut down; truck will not even start because of electrical issues in trans. I will NEVER buy a Nissan product again. Best case means i have to come up with $3000 and they will cover the rest, but this is only because of the class action suit over this. What a pos! Nissan simply doesn't want to stand behind their product. What a sad company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3