Transmission Temp Gauge Add-On, Gen 2.5

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Anyone have any experience adding a trans temp gauge? I’m towing for the first time and already set off the A/T light once, I’d like an actual temp gauge so I can see better what’s going on. I’m thinking something simple like even a meat thermometer probe with an insulated tape wrap around one of the lines to or from the trans cooler, then just run the wire into the cabin. At least then I’ll have some idea as to whether my temp is going up or down......

drabina

I am just throwing an idea. Wouldn't an OBDII bluetooth reader give you some extra information? I don't know for gen 2.5 but in my newer car, the OBDII sensor allows me to have a complete set of gauges on my phone (way more than what's available on the dash). I have air/fuel ratio, voltages, pressures, etc. Maybe the trans temperature can also be accessed if Montero's ECU is providing it?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My SGII would show Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) using the Xgauge feature which did require a bit of programming. Worked on my '99 4runner, my '07 4runner and my '04 Suburban. Whether it would work on a Monty would depend on whether that information is available to the OBDII computer. The Scangauge web site should be able to tell you what vehicles and years are supported and what X gauge codes you need to put in.

D

Deleted member 9101

A OBDII to Bluetooth adapter and the app Torque Pro should give you tranny temps and a host of other gauges.

Oooor... You could just add a transmission gauge. They are not at all expensive and really easy to install.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Anyone have any experience adding a trans temp gauge? I’m towing for the first time and already set off the A/T light once, I’d like an actual temp gauge so I can see better what’s going on. I’m thinking something simple like even a meat thermometer probe with an insulated tape wrap around one of the lines to or from the trans cooler, then just run the wire into the cabin. At least then I’ll have some idea as to whether my temp is going up or down......

You can braze a bung into the pan to fit a sensor then install a gauge, the OBD-2 doesn't see trans temps. Your A/T light went off likely because you were in the wrong gear, with the later trucks not only did they get higher gears in the diffs but the shift is lazy and it gets confused. Re gearing the diff will fix the issue, not saying don't add a gauge but your truck wants to be flogged. For now just shift the gears manually to keep your RPMs above 3000 while towing. What tire size do you have?

Reactions: plh
D

Deleted member 9101

You can braze a bung into the pan to fit a sensor then install a gauge, the OBD-2 doesn't see trans temps. Your A/T light went off likely because you were in the wrong gear, with the later trucks not only did they get higher gears in the diffs but the shift is lazy and it gets confused. Re gearing the diff will fix the issue, not saying don't add a gauge but your truck wants to be flogged. For now just shift the gears manually to keep your RPMs above 3000 while towing. What tire size do you have?

You can also put the sending unit in the line headed to the cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach