TRD Sport or TRD Off Road, SB or LB

NavyGator

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a double cab four wheel drive Tacoma but was wanting some opinions on choosing the Sport or Off Road model and then whether or not to get the long bed. Basically, I am trying to determine what is a better starting point for an overland/expedition truck build. Specifically if there are manufacturer features I want to absolutely stay away from.

I know next to nothing about the lifestyle/hobby but am in the market for a new vehicle in a couple weeks.

NG

forty2

Adventurer
You don't specify, but I'm going to assume you are taking about a brand new truck, especially since the Off-Road package wasn't available as a double cab long bed until just this year. Off-Road over Sport, that one is easy. They cost exactly the same, within the same bed/cab configuration that is. The Sport comes with a fake hood scoop, slightly firmer Hitachi shocks, 17" wheels and color matched flares. The Off-Road gets softer Bilsteins, a locking rear differential, 16" wheels, black flares, and more advanced ABS/traction control (Crawl Control/MTS with the auto and A-TRAC on the manual). That's literally the extent of the differences. For off pavement travel the Off-Road is the better stock choice. As to short or long bed, there's pros and cons to the different wheelbase lengths off road, the shorter will have better breakover, but I think for overland travel that's really getting into splitting hairs. The bigger issue is will you benefit from the longer bed, for sleeping, storage, camper, or hauling? If so get the long bed, unless you refuse to buy as truck with a slushbox or you'd like to still occasionally parallel park in the city, then you are looking at the short bed. Realistically, I suggest scouring overland Tacoma builds, paying close attention to how the two different bed lengths are set up (regardless of cab) and see what speaks to you.

NavyGator

You don't specify, but I'm going to assume you are taking about a brand new truck, especially since the Off-Road package wasn't available as a double cab long bed until just this year. Off-Road over Sport, that one is easy. They cost exactly the same, within the same bed/cab configuration that is. The Sport comes with a fake hood scoop, slightly firmer Hitachi shocks, 17" wheels and color matched flares. The Off-Road gets softer Bilsteins, a locking rear differential, 16" wheels, black flares, and more advanced ABS/traction control (Crawl Control/MTS with the auto and A-TRAC on the manual). That's literally the extent of the differences. For off pavement travel the Off-Road is the better stock choice. As to short or long bed, there's pros and cons to the different wheelbase lengths off road, the shorter will have better breakover, but I think for overland travel that's really getting into splitting hairs. The bigger issue is will you benefit from the longer bed, for sleeping, storage, camper, or hauling? If so get the long bed, unless you refuse to buy as truck with a slushbox or you'd like to still occasionally parallel park in the city, then you are looking at the short bed. Realistically, I suggest scouring overland Tacoma builds, paying close attention to how the two different bed lengths are set up (regardless of cab) and see what speaks to you.

Yes I would be looking at getting a new truck.

Part of my concern with the off road model is how does upgrading suspension and drive line components affect the Crawl Control and MTS. If I upgrade are those systems still usable?

NG

p nut

butter
It would help if you could describe a bit more on the usage of the vehicle. "Overland" can mean such different thing to people. Just look at the picture thread.
i.e., what type of trails will you be going on? How many people? Towing anything? Weekend ventures or month-long expeditions? Etc. etc.

forty2

Adventurer
Yes I would be looking at getting a new truck.

Part of my concern with the off road model is how does upgrading suspension and drive line components affect the Crawl Control and MTS. If I upgrade are those systems still usable?

NG

I can't imagine that CC/MTS would not function after mods. Maybe if you mess with the brakes (big brake kit, aftermarket rear discs, etc) but lift and tires will require just need recalibration of the VSC, but once that's done everything should continue to work as advertised.

NavyGator

It would help if you could describe a bit more on the usage of the vehicle. "Overland" can mean such different thing to people. Just look at the picture thread.
i.e., what type of trails will you be going on? How many people? Towing anything? Weekend ventures or month-long expeditions? Etc. etc.

Since I am new to all this I am looking at initially starting with some weekend camping and short trips with the wife and daughter.

mtnjp

Observer
I'm pretty happy with our DCSB off road package. The ATRAC is excellent and having the locker is well worth it. We have a brute force cage and are getting a CVT RTT for it. Once we are packed it's got enough room to support our trips which are shorter in duration (3 day/2 nights) We did an ICON stage 3 lift, went up one tire size, added some lighting and are good to go. We are in socal so I like the smaller wheel base for the mountains. You do box yourself into a corner though if you think you'll want a camper in the future. I personally would have bought a Tundra if I was going with any camper setup. I personally don't like to push GVWR to the max

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpg
    IMG_3481.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Vandy

Adventurer
I'd go with the trd or. But im bias because it's what I bought. Personally I'd go with the long bed. The size of the box is my biggest complaint with this truck, but I also came from an 8 foot ram long bed. Biggest selling point for the OR is the locker/mts/crawl. It is very well balanced and worth every penny. Even more so for someone new to off road. Any lift won't effect it. Check out tacoma world dot com. Lots of.info and things to look for. I would suggest a manual trans. There are some issues with the autos right now

p nut

butter
Since I am new to all this I am looking at initially starting with some weekend camping and short trips with the wife and daughter.

Sounds like you're not doing technical trails or any sort of hardcore off-roading. I would lean towards a long bed. Sport or OR, I don't think matters but might as well get the OR for the locker for the very rare times you'll use it.
_
Also, don't forget to at least test drive a Tundra, especially if you've got a dog or will be adding to the family. Space gets pretty tight in the Taco in a hurry with kids. Tundra is plenty capable off-road, better road trip machine, and interior space is ginormous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle