Tread Unlightly - Chaos at Usal Beach (Lost Coast)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The wife and I left Sept 13th 2009 on a trip that took us to Joshua Tree,Big Sur,Big Basin,Monterey Aquarium,Pt Lobos,and on upward on Hwy 1 to Crescent City. Hwy 1 and the state parks are a gem. We were running out of time so we travelled east to Lassen Park and darn near had it to ourselves. Our tax money is being well spent in the National Parks. Lots of refurbishing and trail improvements. Being retired now,we can avoid the teens whom a portion of are camped in these pristine areas looking for another place to rage,not appreciate. Regarding the Synchro,I remember lusting over one in the dealer's showroom when they first came out. The list price was $21,000 and change loaded.

HrznChaser

We were at Usal beach in mid April and the campground there was so torn up we decided not to stay. I stead we headed up Usal rd. to Shelter Cove. This took us about 5 hours because the road way so muddy (this included about two hours to pull out one of our vehicles with a mechanical advantage system we improvised). Also there were several trees down across the road. Luckily we had axes. We only saw one other couple in a jeep. Great time of year to go but road is steep, muddy and narrow in spots. Amazing views. While camping at Shelter Cove we were talking to the Sheriff. We told him about Usal being abused. He said they knew about it but he was the only law enforcement in the whole lost coast area.

Raw7s

Adventurer
789579405_x5uqH-L.jpg

Obviously one of the guy had rolled over during the night.

good for him, sounds like he deserved it :D

autumnmike

Thats unfortunate that nor cal rednecks have to ruin usal at times. I've probably have camped there 6 or more times. I've found that going off season, or at least on week days you can have the place pretty much to yourself. I haven't seen/heard gunfire when I personally have been there. A buddy's experience is don't give the rednecks acid and then proceed to yell at them. They circled their campsite in their lifted pick-up and shot semi-auto's over their head. Worst I had to experience was honky-tonk bedonk e' donk at 2am. It was very humourous in the morning when we found them passed out on gravel and all strung out. My hippie neighbor decieced to blast the dead. That was very funny.
As far as driving on the beach, I thought it was one of the few beaches left you still can. I've seen it multiple times and one of my favorite moments riding in that fj. The park rangers I've found have been very cool, (the one time I saw one). My well behaved dog was off leash hiking down the road with me and I thought I was going to get yelled at. He just complimented me on my dog.
It is illegal to use firearms there. But there is a make shift firing range just north of the beach on usal road. Also you may want to check the blm gate, cough, cough. Also don't forget to check the enchantanted forest.

twolost

Observer
As far as driving on the beach, I thought it was one of the few beaches left you still can

No driving on beach was posted when my wife and I were last there in April of 2009:

i-43zLPwx-L.jpg

Nice Rig. Bummer to hear about the hooliganism. Even though there are/were rules posted, Usal Beach definitely appeared to us to be regulated by self-control as opposed to enforced control. I actually appreciate areas like this... but they can be hit and miss as they also tend to be idiot magnets when open space is at a premium. We enjoyed our stay there in 2009 and had the place pretty much to ourselves.

i-PHhxzXw-L.jpg

i-kmHZbQj-L.jpg

i-cbNS2bK-L.jpg

i-gNFbdrL-L.jpg

loup407

Adventurer
We were at Usal Beach this last September and went out of our way to be there mid-week. It was filthy, trash everywhere and TP flags everywhere. We were there three days and the rangers showed up the day we left. (Just in time to collect the camping fee). There were other people there, but they mostly kept to themselves. I'd drive Usal Rd again, but wouldn't stop at Usal Beach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk