TrekboxX drawer system for JK idea thread

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Greetings Jeep folks! My name is David. I'm the owner of Trekboxx, a new small business that makes cargo systems. I'm starting the process of brainstorming/designing a production cargo system for the JK (don't worry G. Cherokee guys, I'm already designing a system for a friend ;)). If you are unfamiliar with Trekboxx, please check out our website at www.trekboxx.com. You can also get more info in these threads:

My build thread, and how it all started:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1407drivers-build-thread.678649/
Building, getting ideas:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/seeking-your-thoughts-on-new-drawer-system.760747/
A pretty thorough review is here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130597-Trekking-with-Trekboxx

I'd love to get your input about the design for a system or systems for the JK. I want to hear about what you folks want, don't want, and any issues you have regarding drawer systems for the JK. I have little knowledge of the newer Jeeps. I understand that the rear has pretty much been the same for quite a few years (?), except maybe a poorly placed subwoofer on some models. I've read that the subwoofer is able to be relocated. Do most of you expo guys run a subwoofer? Would you like a place in the system to relocate it to?

I'm open to all comments and ideas about the systems, but please don't make this a drawer system vs. no drawer system thread. I build drawer systems, the latter is not on the table. I really appreciate all of your input and hope to serve the Jeep community well.

Regards,
David

IMG_6937 - Version 3.jpgIMG_6946.jpg

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde
Looks like a great product from what I could gleen from the links you shared. I like all the options and attention to detail you made for the Landy.

As an owner of the JK 2-door model, I find it hard to find a nice storage set up that is not solely built with the JKU's 4-door storage capacity in mind. Granted, some of the differences are not great, and I just remove my rear seats to have extra cargo space anyway, it would be nice to have something designed with the 2-door folk in mind (or maybe have an option for the 2-doors with rear seats removed that is somewhat modifiable for the 4-doors as well?).

Either way, I look forward to seeing your progress on this. Cheers!

No subwoofer in my jeep at all and I will always retain my rear seat, I would be interested in discussing this with you. Will you be at the expo in NC?

Last edited:

TrekboxX

Looks like a great product from what I could gleen from the links you shared. I like all the options and attention to detail you made for the Landy.

As an owner of the JK 2-door model, I find it hard to find a nice storage set up that is not solely built with the JKU's 4-door storage capacity in mind. Granted, some of the differences are not great, and I just remove my rear seats to have extra cargo space anyway, it would be nice to have something designed with the 2-door folk in mind (or maybe have an option for the 2-doors with rear seats removed that is somewhat modifiable for the 4-doors as well?).

Either way, I look forward to seeing your progress on this. Cheers!

Good to know. So, I'm just assuming something like this: The 2 door cargo area is quite small until you remove the rear seat, and then it's bigger (?) than the 4 door cargo area?

How about something like this.......

That basic idea is what I was thinking. To maintain the drawer capacity and get a fridge I think two narrower drawers may be required...

No subwoofer in my jeep at all and I will always retain my rear seat, I would be interested in discussing this with you. Will you be at the expo in NC?

No, unfortunately I won't. It may be some time before I can make the shows, expos, etc. Full time job, new biz, kids, etc. Hopefully in 2015 the schedule will open up a bit.

So, do you have a 4-door? Do you know what years had the sub, or was it an option?

Another question- how many of you would want to have a stove drawer on your system, a la AT drawers? I personally like to have the flaming propane separate from the vehicle, but I know many like the idea. What do you guys think?

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

David

Good to know. So, I'm just assuming something like this: The 2 door cargo area is quite small until you remove the rear seat, and then it's bigger (?) than the 4 door cargo area?

That basic idea is what I was thinking. To maintain the drawer capacity and get a fridge I think two narrower drawers may be required...

No, unfortunately I won't. It may be some time before I can make the shows, expos, etc. Full time job, new biz, kids, etc. Hopefully in 2015 the schedule will open up a bit.

So, do you have a 4-door? Do you know what years had the sub, or was it an option?

Another question- how many of you would want to have a stove drawer on your system, a la AT drawers? I personally like to have the flaming propane separate from the vehicle, but I know many like the idea. What do you guys think?

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

David
I think the sub option was back there from 07-14 the 15's have them in the cubby hole under the rear storage area, my jeep was a base model so didnt have it. I do not like propane cooking out of rear as well I keep it separate.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Hi David,

Glad to see this thread and that the thought process for the JK series of jeeps has begun!!

It's probably good to try and standardize some vocabulary early in this game:
JK = 2 door (2007 thru 2015+)
JKU = 4 door (2007 thru 2015+)

I've got a 2013 JKU, so I'll stick to discussing that. The most appealing systems I've seen for JKUs come in a couple of stages. First stage would fill just the cargo area of the JKU (with rears seats up) and resemble what you have already done. Second stage would add additional room for those who are willing to totally remove the back seats (either the 2/3 bench and/or the 1/3 seat). Pulling the rear seats invariably leads to needing a platform to establish a level area in the back, with trap doors for storing gear in the foot wells (or using them for water storage, etc).

My preference for a fridge slider is that it be kept as low as possible to the floor, so it is easy for everyone to get into. I also am not a fan of cooking out of the back of my jeep, so a stove under the fridge is not a feature I would value. A thin drawer at most, or better yet nothing. Transfer that storage space above the fridge. I would be fine with not being able to open my fridge until it is slid out, thus making space above the fridge available to bulky, lighter stuff like sleeping bags, etc. I also prefer the fridge on the drivers side, so that if it slides out, it would not prevent me from opening or using my existing, drop down tailgate table (we already emailed about leaving a little room for these popular accessories when the tailgate closes).

That's the broad strokes. I really like your existing designs and think they could be very nicely scaled to the JKUs. FWIW, I do have that pesky subwoofer, which I would remove or relocate if properly incentivized.

Cheers,

Mike

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde

You are correct. There is almost no storage in the 2-door version with the seats up. It would look something like this:

Since I tend to explore alone and have no kids, I removed my rear seats. This is what it looks like w/o seats or any decent storage system (excuse how dirty it is):
10593197_767077049713_5770689425445398594_n.jpg

*Note, I use the step stool to reach my kayak on my roof rack.

The subwoofer can be moved easily enough. It is held down at its feet by some bolts:
10675511_767077079653_5712980067268324571_n.jpg
10685482_767077114583_6990160286789880442_n.jpg

For me personally, funding my projects is almost always the biggest issue. Therefore, my storage tends to look like this for a multi-day kayaking trip:
10481610_744400763173_8974826486601440378_n.jpg

I hope that helps!

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I love drawer systems, and yours look fantastic.

My two primary concerns would be weight, and price. The JKU only has a payload of around 1000LBS all told, so any added weight really has to pass an overall mod value VS weight check. As far as price goes, most drawer systems tend to be prohibitively expensive.

Secondary thoughts are as follows, in reference to your existing options:

I love the cargo cage divider, as well as the system built around the fridge section to allow for additional storage on top, as well as added protection for the fridge. Fridge slide out is a must, and must be driver's side for reasons already stated. I will echo the sentiments expressed by Mike, as I too do not like to cook out of the back of my vehicle. However, many people do, so perhaps an option for the under fridge slide drawer to be a drawer or a stove, or a drawer that could do either. I too have the subwoofer, but would remove or relocate if needed.

Fit is important to me. If the system rattles around, or has poor tolerances, it most certainly won't be seeing the back of my Jeep. I doubt this is a problem with your systems, but it is a point worth mentioning. The Jeep rattles enough as is.

Edit: There is a cubby in the Jeep trunk's floor. Most drawer systems ignore the cubby, making it inaccessible after installation. Though not a large amount of space, it would be great to see a design that keeps the cubby accessible. Every little bit of space helps.

wrangler_interni_10.jpg

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I love drawer systems, and yours look fantastic.

My two primary concerns would be weight, and price. The JKU only has a payload of around 1000LBS all told, so any added weight really has to pass an overall mod value VS weight check. As far as price goes, most drawer systems tend to be prohibitively expensive....
I agree with this.

I've got a 2014 JKU, back seat removed. Our needs are for 2 adults & a dog, long road-trips, camping, and daily driver duties.
My advice would be to keep it modular.

I built my own little entry level kit.

dog shelf
013_zps579843ad.jpg

and a shelf in the back
004_zps60b34282.jpg

I use a bunch of different hard and soft boxes and bags to house our crap. I'd much much much much much rather have some snazzy drawers but, you know, money and all that...

TrekboxX

You guys are awesome! Great info, and I surely need it. I can see one of the big challenges will be weight. My systems are not light, for many reasons. I will do what I can, but I won't compromise the product. These systems are tough, which gives lots of benefits, including absolutely no squeaks, rattles, or other annoyances. Besides, you know you want some HD springs ;)

Mike- good to talk again! Hopefully we can have something for you sooner rather than later...

In the coming weeks I'd love to meet up with someone local (El Dorado Hills CA) to have a chance to crawl around in their rig. Thanks guys!

First off I'm a little ashamed to not have heard of your company before...just got down looking at you website and those drawer system look AMAZING!!!! I like the base systems and the different accessories....really digging those cargo barriers. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the JK's!

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Edit: There is a cubby in the Jeep trunk's floor. Most drawer systems ignore the cubby, making it inaccessible after installation. Though not a large amount of space, it would be great to see a design that keeps the cubby accessible. Every little bit of space helps.

wrangler_interni_10.jpg

This is exactly what I was thinking about when I started reading this thread. Not sure how it could be incorporated but it seems to be a waste to just cover it up and not utilize it.

Matches

Excellent

I was just on your website over last weekend and read the "Trekking with Trekboxx" review. I thought how great it would be to have this system for my 2dr JK Rubicon and was drafting a letter to you.
Cash on hand ready to buy if its anything like the one for the 100. I really like the side storage idea incorporated into the 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues