Trooper Redux ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I revisit an old friend, introducing my Trooper Redux, a 2002 Trooper LS.

This is my second Trooper, the first was my 1999 S model, which I traded straight across for a built 1996 Land Rover Discovery Series I. While I had owned 4wd drive vehicles since 1987, the Land Rover introduced me to a good group of people, including this community, which I hadn't found with other vehicles at the time.

Various trucks have come and gone, going for economy when I sold the Disco for a Suzuki Vitara, which I turned into a little off road beast - largely losing the economy aspect. It was also too small for a family of four so I searched for another Trooper. Trooper's were scarce and I ended up with a third gen 4Runner. Four years of owning the 4runner and I decided to go for one of the ultimate expedition vehicles, and one I had dreamed of owning for years. Welcome Frank, my Land Cruiser 80, a solid 1991
FJ80. While the 80 was and is my dream vehicle, it just is not making sense as a daily driver ... So, the decision was made after having spent almost $400 in gas on three road trips in three weeks to begin anew my search and the Trooper was on top of my list.

Why a Trooper?

Reasonable cost; nearly half of a similar vintage 4runner.
Utility; massive carrying capacity and comfort for four.
Off road prowess; with minimal modifications it has all the capabilities I really need.
Reliability; I had nary a problem with my 99, and expect the same from the 02.
Warm fuzzy feeling; of all the vehicles I have owned few have made me want to own one again. The idea of another Trooper just felt right.

Currently the truck is bone stock. Mods will be mild mannered as I want to keep fuel economy and on and off road manners optimized, so to speak, so I look at this as a compromise vehicle.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Your preaching to the choir with me... but there is no doubt that a mild lift with some OME coils, maybe 265/75 tires, and you can do a LOT off road.

Here is my old 99 Trooper in Canyonlands NP, Elephant Hill trail:
38627721KtiiQy_ph.jpg

Kane Creek in Moab:
Steve-ledgeP5230040.jpg

jeffryscott

I am debating tire size. Stock size is 245/70/16. Was going to put the new 285/75/16s from my Land Cruiser on, but think I may get too much of an mpg and performance hit without enough return on increased capability.

Three other options arise:

235/85/16
265/75/16
255/85/16

While 255's would be my first choice for a more off road oriented rig, tire choices are limited and I think I would take a similar hit in mpg and performance as with the 285.

So that leaves 235's and 265's. They are essentially the same height, 31.9-inches for one brand I randomly picked to compare specs, the 235's are slightly cheaper, but load range E, therefore 53-pounds versus 50-pounds for D rated 265's.

265's offer greater choices, so it seems to largely depend on availability when I shop.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Those are 265/75 in the above pics. As you can see they fit into the wheel wells very nicely, no worries about rubbing. They are about a 7% deviation from stock, 285/75s would be about 11%. 235/85s are interesting, there is something to be said for a narrower tire...but I would not want load range E personally.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Interesting post. I've been looking for a long time for a vehicle to replace my '99 Trooper. I need to spend some time in a FZJ80, but I am leaning toward just keeping the Trooper. As for tires, I think 265 is probably a good compromise. 285 is too big and 235s look silly, but they are fantastic in snow. I have never run 265s on my Trooper, but Scott was pretty happy with that size on his. All that said, if you already have the 285s, just try them and see what you think. Keep your torsion bar crank minimal as it really doesn't take much to clear them. You probably know this, but Independent4x has all your goodies in stock, but Wil can order OME stuff.

Pritch

I've got the 265/75/16 setup, and like it a lot. I think it's the perfect size for the truck.

jeffryscott

Ran 265's on my 99, and briefly 235's (installed a week or so before trading for the Land Rover) and will most likely do the 265's again, but want to weigh all my options ...

We loaded the Trooper up for a camping trip yesterday and it was a tight fit for all the gear, but fit pretty well. Plan to get a Yakima or Thule box up top for the Oztent (it's first trip for us as well) and that will free up a lot of space inside by getting sleeping bags and pads on top too.

I think I do need to get a smaller fridge, the 60 quart Norcold was too big for the 4runner, marginally too big for the 80, and too big again. I love the space it provides, but think I need to settle on an ARB or Engel 45.

Funny, one of the the things I am most excited about with this new rig is the spare tire on the back. I finally have a place to put a Trasharoo.

Will post pics when I download photos onto the computer.

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I have a 45 qt. Engle. Let me know if you want a picture. If I were buying I would go with a National Luna. There is a build thread on here somewhere, I think of a FJ80, where someone built a cargo system with the refrigerator on the bottom on a slide, drawers next to the refrigerator and then a flat shelf for cases on top. Seemed like a good idea for the Trooper too. I've gone back and forth about storage ideas, first wanting to keep the trunk door cubbies, then deciding they take up too much space, now deciding that I like them.

jeffryscott

I have a 45 qt. Engle. Let me know if you want a picture. If I were buying I would go with a National Luna. There is a build thread on here somewhere, I think of a FJ80, where someone built a cargo system with the refrigerator on the bottom on a slide, drawers next to the refrigerator and then a flat shelf for cases on top. Seemed like a good idea for the Trooper too. I've gone back and forth about storage ideas, first wanting to keep the trunk door cubbies, then deciding they take up too much space, now deciding that I like them.

Pictures would be great of how the 45 qt fits.

I have drawers I built for my 4Runner that fit in the Trooper, but am debating their
use. I have a love/hate relationship with drawer systems and need to design a system that works for the dual purpose I want this truck to serve. I partly need to decide on a fridge, and build the infrastructure of the drawers around it.

For tires, I am debating between Falken Rocky Mountains, Geolander ATs or going with Treadwrights again, all 265/75/16. The Treadwright Revo clone I ran on the 4Runner was one of the best tires I've ever used.

What kind of experience, if any, do people have with the Falkens or Geolanders?

Did order my Trasharoo yesterday as well:)

LostDelta

Where are you getting sliders?

I am ashamed to admit that I have a Rocky road set sitting in my garage.
Between there crappy instructions and my buying a motorcycle, I haven't installed them.

If you get those on Id love to see some photos of the attachments, I still cant figure out if I'm screwed up or the sliders are.

jeffryscott

Sliders and OME heavy duty suspension ordered. Will probably get tires Monday a.m. but may way until the suspension is put on to be sure I want to stick with 265 as my tire size. My Trasharoo is on it's way as is an iPod compatible stereo.

double moo

Adventurer
Where are you getting sliders?

I am ashamed to admit that I have a Rocky road set sitting in my garage.
Between there crappy instructions and my buying a motorcycle, I haven't installed them.

If you get those on Id love to see some photos of the attachments, I still cant figure out if I'm screwed up or the sliders are.

I have a set - they used my rig for the prototype of the Trooper slider (white '93 in thier website pics). I can take photos of the mountings if you need. Not sure that they didn't change them over time after making mine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal