Trooper Redux ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Bits and pieces for this modest build - one of the most important was done today. Alpine head unit and Polk speakers all around. It has been dreadful having to listen to radio since I got it, now I have tunes again. Will put in my Yaesu 2m in the lower pocket below the radio.

Also found an XL Yakima Cargo case for the roof. Fits the Oztent and most of the camping gear (sleeping bags and pads, chairs, rollup table).

New, demo 50L ARB fridge arriving any minute and my old 60L fridge is traded for a set of five newish Michelin LTX AT tires, 265/75/16s on Nissan Patrol wheels. I will have those Sunday.

Sliders and suspension should ship in about a week. Looking into a ladder for the small door as well.

I am hoping to take it out on Monday to a trail, will post pics then.

jeffryscott

Tires are on: 265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT's, load range C. Traded my Norcold 60L locally, via expo, for five 90+ % new tires on Nissan Patrol rims. Offset of rims is a bit different and have a tiny bit up rubbing on bumps in the rear, but I imagine that will be taken care of with the 1.5-inches of lift the OME springs will provide, and the better dampening of the OME shocks.

Took the Trooper out this morning for a brief bit just to see, first time I've had it off road and it is better than I remember, and that is without the OME suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 42

jeffryscott

Took the Trooper back out to Redington for a bit last night, never seen it so green. Was treated to a gentle shower and wonderful monsoon clouds, and a few furry critters.

Have the 2m Yaesu 1802 mostly installed, need to decide what to do with the antenna. Have had a long whip antenna on the previous trucks, but am thinking magnetic mount and shorter length, but not sure yet.

Attachments

• _8234889.jpg
    _8234889.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 49
  • _8234911.jpg
    _8234911.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 45
  • _8234905.jpg
    _8234905.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58

jeffryscott

The Old Man Emu and rock slider kit should be here Friday, but I won't be able to install it until Monday with my work schedule.

This morning I got my 2-meter radio installed and operational. The Yaesu 1802 model fits in a DIN slot and is small enough that it has plenty of air circulation to keep it from overheating.

I am debating roof rack options. I have the factory rack, which I believe will suffice for now. But I have the TR-100 adapters for the factory mounting points on the roof and have considered a heavier duty rack.

I am also debating rear storage. I have a set of drawers mostly made (from a previous vehicle) but they need slight alteration to fit the Trooper. I have a love/hate relationship with drawer systems, so I need to sit down and figure out if I can make the drawer system fit my current needs, or if I should start from scratch.

I am hoping to go camping Labor Day and hope to have all the bits pieced together by then. At that point, I can modify items as I get a better sense of what does and doesn't work. Stay tuned ...

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I didn't know there was a factory rack...

I will be pondering the roof rack question as well. I suspect the biggest obstacle will be that the Trooper may not fit in the garage with the rack on. Not an insurmountable problem, but a PITA when it comes time to work on the Trooper.

jeffryscott

I didn't know there was a factory rack...

I will be pondering the roof rack question as well. I suspect the biggest obstacle will be that the Trooper may not fit in the garage with the rack on. Not an insurmountable problem, but a PITA when it comes time to work on the Trooper.

Currently I have the factory rack which is fairly light duty ... But there is a beefier option as there are three (I believe) pairs of bolt holes under each side of the top trim, covered in tape. This gives us the option of bolting in something beyond the standard factory option.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yes, I am aware of the bolt holes, just never have seen a "factory" rack, in the US anyway...which doesn't mean they don't exist.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
@BigSwede - Yes there is a factory rack. It was made by Yakima. Each bar/ends weighs about 2 lb. I'm not sure I would trust it to hold much. Further, if I remember, it was a somewhat proprietary shape. I think it was sold only through Isuzu dealers.

@Jeffry I've heard of truck roofs developing cracks around the mounting bolts. I don't know if it would work, but I've always had this idea of using Yakima or Thule tracks (which ever fits better) bolted through all six holes. This would distribute the load along the entire roof rather than point loading around the holes. You could either use sliding feet or use the Landing Pads (or the Thule equivalent) and through-bolt those at each of the hole locations. That would result in a much stronger setup, but perhaps limit flexibility and mounting options. Again, I have not tried this, so I don't know whether it would work.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I actually have 4 of the "feet" that are designed to bolt to the roof holes, came with my 'new' Trooper, the seller called them some name I don't recall...anyway I have the means to bolt a rack on there without drilling etc., just haven't decided if I want a rack up there. Probably wouldn't fit in the garage with a rack, although it is going to be parked outside usually.

bansil

Adventurer
Just to muddy the waters,my 94 doesnt have those hidden by tape holes so I made mounts similar to the ones I made for the wifes Rodeo Sport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal