Trooper Tire Selection

meffland

Hello everyone, I'm one of those long time reader/first time poster type of deals. I had a question concerning which tires to get for my 2002 Trooper. I know this has been discussed many times before, I appologize, but this is kind of situation specific.

In a week I will be leaving for Seattle (from Austin) with two good friends for a two week road trip. 90% of this will be highway driving, but since we are camping the entire way, I decided we might as well do a little but of wheelin' while we're at it. The biggest trail planned is the White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP, Utah.

Now, what does this have to do with tire selection? Well, I had planned on installing a nice OME shock/rear spring upgrade. However, I just got an email stating that my parts are backordered and will not be in for another 3-4 weeks. Yay. Therefore, much to my dismay, I will be running the "this-body-lean-wants-to-make-me-throw-up" stock suspension.

I am currently running the standard 245/75 R16 sized tires, Michelin X Radial LTs. Given all this, is it even worth it do get new tires? Do I really need them for what I plan to do? If I do need tires, what size? 265/75 or 285/75? I'm obviously only going to buy tires once, so I want to get some that work the best with the 1.5-2" lift that is coming, but at the same time are 285/75's going to rub on this trip without the lift? Oh, and I was planning on getting BF Goodrich AT KO's, but of course if anyone has a better idea I am open to anything.

Wow, I did not think this was going to end up that long. Anywho, thanks for the help, hope I didn't bore any of you.

Gurkha

Adventurer
Give a serious look to the Yokohama Geolandars, if you intend to do primarily highway driving with occasional mild off road then look into their H/T series for life and ride as well as low noise level, for off road check out their AT-S range and for ultimate off roading check out their fantastic ATX range.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I think the big question is gearing. The front I would imaging is just a torsion bar crank to lift. So you could do the front before you go. You will just not have the shocks. The rear maybe a different story. Is it possible to get the lift from someone else who has it in stock?

I drove a tropper for 2 weeks in the us virgin islands and it was a great vehicle except for the suspension. I think the poor rental vehicle had the snot beat out of it and the already light srings and shocks were done.

I think you will be surprised what stock 4x4 will do. as long as you have decent tread and a good spare then you should be ok to go as you are.

I'm, sure others will chime in who have owned one

follow this link to Scott Brady's trooper.
Expeditions West Trooper

chasespeed

Explorer
The trooper has 4.56 gears... and if its G80, is a LSD rear.

I ran 33x12s on my last troop... plenty of room. BUT, it wasnt near stock height.

I dont know if you are a member there, but check out planetisuzoo.com for specific stuff. Great site, with lots of info.(not trying to turn you away from here, this is a great site)

I think a 265 would fit okay, but, I am not 100% sure.

Enjoy your trip.

Chase

Juntura

Observer
Your '02 Trooper has 4.30 gearing.

I currently have the OME medium springs and shocks and a slight TB crank. I run 265/75 BFG M/T's and love the set up. The OME springs and shocks are a massive upgrade in drive ability. The factory suspension is way too soft. The 265's did not noticeably affect gearing or MPG. I have 60,000 miles on my lift and have not had any CV issues- I did not crank the front up very much. Alignment has been tricky to keep in spec.

I have not tried larger tires but am planning on running 255/85's this winter- will probably need more lift.

Sorry- looks like I didn't answer your question. I would ditch the Michellins. Every time I went offroad on mine I ended up with a flat- they sucked on even rocky FS and BLM roads. 265's should fit OK with a slight TB crank but no rear lift.

chasespeed

Explorer
Actually, the only other 12bolt axle ratio from the factory was 4.77, in the S2J optioned 1st gen trooper, call the "wide tire option"

4.30s came in 5spd rodeos and amigos.

There was a run of 5.38s for the 12bolt.. but, IIRC, they were only for the pre 98 modded 12bolt.

Second, as far as on/off road tires...

Cooper STTs seem to hold up great to dual use...

My personal favs were Wrangler MT/Rs, though, truth be told, they left a bit to be desired in the mud....

Chase

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
meffland said:
Hello everyone, I'm one of those long time reader/first time poster type of deals. I had a question concerning which tires to get for my 2002 Trooper. I know this has been discussed many times before, I appologize, but this is kind of situation specific.

In a week I will be leaving for Seattle (from Austin) with two good friends for a two week road trip. 90% of this will be highway driving, but since we are camping the entire way, I decided we might as well do a little but of wheelin' while we're at it. The biggest trail planned is the White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP, Utah.

Now, what does this have to do with tire selection? Well, I had planned on installing a nice OME shock/rear spring upgrade. However, I just got an email stating that my parts are backordered and will not be in for another 3-4 weeks. Yay. Therefore, much to my dismay, I will be running the "this-body-lean-wants-to-make-me-throw-up" stock suspension.

I am currently running the standard 245/75 R16 sized tires, Michelin X Radial LTs. Given all this, is it even worth it do get new tires? Do I really need them for what I plan to do? If I do need tires, what size? 265/75 or 285/75? I'm obviously only going to buy tires once, so I want to get some that work the best with the 1.5-2" lift that is coming, but at the same time are 285/75's going to rub on this trip without the lift? Oh, and I was planning on getting BF Goodrich AT KO's, but of course if anyone has a better idea I am open to anything.

Wow, I did not think this was going to end up that long. Anywho, thanks for the help, hope I didn't bore any of you.

Wow sorry to hear your back ordered on your lift parts....
I am pretty sure we have them in stock if you need them before you go, Just call the shop and ask 8045500480

You can clear a 265 75r16 stock with a little bit of torsion bar adjustment.
I have run several types of tire in this size on troopers and had varied results in different conditions. Most recently I observed a a trooper on 265's with lockers cover all of the rocks and such @ uwharrie nc without issue and take no bypasses. Those were Baja MTZ's but that same tire is loud on the street and for longer trips may be more than you want to deal with. They are however e load rated. I am in the process of getting some toyo open country at's for my 2000 and I am running an OME lift (sort of) that works out to about 1.5 in the rear over stock with about 1 inch over stock in the front on the torsion bars. The size works well with that setup.

Other than being long winded I would run what you have until your lift gets in.
Just take recovery gear and drive smart.

meffland

Thanks for the information and help guys. Yeah, I ordered the parts from Rocky-Road at the beginning of July hoping they would come in time...oh well.

I think I'll just pack the recovery kit and hi-lift (although they were coming anyway) and hope for the best. Thanks again

Incusus

Adventurer
meffland said:
Thanks for the information and help guys. Yeah, I ordered the parts from Rocky-Road at the beginning of July hoping they would come in time...oh well.

I think I'll just pack the recovery kit and hi-lift (although they were coming anyway) and hope for the best. Thanks again

My shocks/springs were delayed from rockey road last year as well. I suspect they don't keep them in stock, but order them as the need arises. Fear not, I had no other trouble with RR, and the upgrade was worth the wait.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I think the 285/75 is too big, the Trooper just doesn't have the gearing to turn them or the brakes to stop them. And as much as I wish chasespeed was right, the newer Troopers have 4.30 axle gearing and probably 2.48:1 transfer case gearing. The RS models have the gearing he mentions, but I don't think they were produced after 1997.

To answer your question, gas is expensive and tires are expensive. Consider buying a second set of wheels and run the off road tire of your choice in a 265/75 and keep the Michelins as a daily driving tire. Or if you really just want one do it all set, consider a Nitto Terra Grappler in a 265/75 D. A 265 will fit without a lift and will look right at home with a small (912 spring) OME lift.

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, I do stand corrected... funny thing, I can only find info on the 4.30, from Cars.com , and a few other media sources... nothing from Isuzu.... regardless.

And, I only see mention of those gears on on 98+, which means the "modified 12 bolt" and, I also see 2 different t-case ratios, 2.05 and 2.48, it may well be after from 98 on, alot of things changed.

I dont think the gear ratio is to short at all for 285s. I was running them until a couple weeks ago, on an auto rodeo with 4.10 gears....

Now, I am running 265s...

I was using 33x10.5 swampers for over 2 years...

But, to each their own...

Chase

Again, I stand corrected......

robertdarin

Adventurer
i agree that the 285 is a large tire but i am about to buy some anyway...but to the point, i would buy the geolander in a 265 if you are only going to do mild stuff and mostly on pavement driving. I had the same problem with my stuff from rocky road. Sorry to hear of your troubles and good luck.:beer:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
285 covers a lot of sizes. I can tell you that the Coopers are not great, but ok, the MT/Rs are too big. MT/Rs run about 33.1 and The Coopers are 32.7. Shouldn't make much difference, but adding a little more to an already strained system is noticeable.

robertdarin

Adventurer
oh...we never did mention the "magic" size of 255/85r16. If you can find some this would be the best way to go. I think bfg makes a mud terrain in that size. the tire being narrower helps to dig and to not float on snow and mud as a 285 would. Not to mention it is also about 33 in. tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3