Trooper xfer case help Urgent!

Incusus

Adventurer
I hate it when people say "Urgent!" or "need help ASAP!" in the title of a thread on the internet, I guess I've never been in their shoes until now :p

So the troopers not moving until I get a definitive answer (searching google now...) and I need it rolling tonight.

I drained the fluid from the transfer case. According to the manual, it takes SAE 5W30 SF oil. When I went to remove the fill plug, I noticed that stamped on the case is... use only dextron II or III. uh oh.

wait a minute.. that stuff I drained looks suspiciously like tranny fluid o.o ...

SO.. what goes in this thing?? I dont want to ruin the xfer case, any help is very appreciated!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
RTFM :sport_box

Seriously, it is in the manual in the back. Unfortunately my manual, along with my truck, is in Denver. If you still don't have an answer by tonight, PM me and I will look it up for you. Also post on 4x4wire in the Isuzu section, but expect to get flamed.

In general, you want the same lubricant in the transmission and transfer case in case they mix. If you know what goes in the transmission, you are probably safe putting it in the T-case as well.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Incusus said:
I .

I drained the fluid from the transfer case. According to the manual, it takes SAE 5W30 SF oil. When I went to remove the fill plug, I noticed that stamped on the case is... use only dextron II or III. uh oh.

I'd go with what's stamped on the case. A lot of t-cases use dex3. I've never seen a t-case that took 5w-30, but I could wrong

Incusus

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
RTFM :sport_box

Seriously, it is in the manual in the back.

According to the manual, it takes SAE 5W30 SF oil.
When I went to remove the fill plug, I noticed that stamped on the case is... use only dextron II or III.

hence.. my problem ;)

Incusus

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
The part-time case uses gear oil, the full-time case uses ATF.

wha... wait a sec, I was only aware of one case (don't be too hard on me, I'm from the land of transverse-mounted high compression inline 4-cyls, not 4x ;))

*scrambles for his manual again*

I'm looking at the one the owners manual calls "Transfer Case". Its a borg-warner manufactured unit with 2 1/4" square recessed drain plugs, last in line on the driveline before the u-joint.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I was wrong, after some searching, apparently some do use 30 weight, I'd still go with what's stamped on the case

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
The part-time case uses gear oil, the full-time case uses ATF.

I think what he means is the TOD case uses ATF, non-TOD uses gear oil.

I have the service manual on my laptop, I can look it up later.

Incusus

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
I think what he means is the TOD case uses ATF, non-TOD uses gear oil.

I have the service manual on my laptop, I can look it up later.

*smacks himself in the forehead*

I would greatly appreciate it if you could look it up when you get a chance. I'm gonna go with the ATF (as I have TOD) for now seeing as there was ATF in there to begin with.

Sorry for the panic folks, thanks VERY much for the assistance!!!!!!:wings:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Do a search here and on the PlanetIsuzoo forum for a downloadable service manual. I know the links are around here somewhere, but I don't have them.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I know that mine uses gear oil, not ATF, but mine is the part time case. Dexron II & III are tranny fluid, and since that is what came out I would go with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal