TRQ 12-Piece Steering Kit...Any Good?

BayMonty

https://www.1aauto.com/chevrolet-gm...asfk01099/931354/1997#product-reviews-content

Just picked up a 97 K1500 Suburban. Pitman and Idler arms are definitely shot. Steering very lose. Could possibly need more front end parts (tie rods, ball joints, etc.) and potentially a new steering box. Looks to be all original. Never owned a GMT400. Building this out into an overland rig. For the time being, I’m focusing on getting the drivetrain solid, but really need to tighten up steering just for better drivability. The steering wheel has about 3-4 inches of play each side. Jacked up the front today and was able to rock the wheels pretty good. Once the drivetrain is solid, I’ll be looking for a 6” lift. I just need this to get me through 3-4 months of occasional driving before the lift. This is not my DD. Will probably drive it 1,000 miles in 3 months at most.

Has anyone tried this TRQ kit? Any good? If not, recommendations for another kit?

Advice is appreciated!
6ee8e12e147a403c7d69dcb260b7940a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdogyj

Honestly all of that for $100 seems wrong. I’ve never used 1aauto for anything other than their YouTube videos which are helpful. I’m used to Moog quality parts or oem that seem to last at least 100k or more (~$350). If you need stronger components there’s a number of options but I would be very suspect about any longevity from that kit you referenced. I think a 6” lift is a bit much for that rig if you want to maintain overland driveability. I’d do a 2-3” leveling kit with 33’s and build it out to be reliable and you’ll enjoy the hell out of that rig. But just my opinion. Congrats on the rig. Curious to follow how you build it out.

If you’re really after some serious trails, check out @CrazyDrei. He’s got a sweet setup and has pulled off some impressive accomplishments with his rig.
Good luck!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

BayMonty

Honestly all of that for $100 seems wrong. I’ve never used 1aauto for anything other than their YouTube videos which are helpful. I’m used to Moog quality parts or oem that seem to last at least 100k or more (~$350). If you need stronger components there’s a number of options but I would be very suspect about any longevity from that kit you referenced. I think a 6” lift is a bit much for that rig if you want to maintain overland driveability. I’d do a 2-3” leveling kit with 33’s and build it out to be reliable and you’ll enjoy the hell out of that rig. But just my opinion. Congrats on the rig. Curious to follow how you build it out.

If you’re really after some serious trails, check out @CrazyDrei. He’s got a sweet setup and has pulled off some impressive accomplishments with his rig.
Good luck!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What leveling kit do you recommend?

Also, is there any downside to doing a full 3-4” suspension lift for this truck?

I’ve seen some crazy angles on 6” lifts and I do want to maintain the reliability.

BayMonty

Save your pennies for a straight axle swap!

That’s what I would love. WFO Concepts is near me and they’ve got a kit for about $3000. I’d have to source an axle...probably a Dana 60. All in all, it would cost around $8000 with all the parts needed...done in the driveway. They charge about $17k if I did it in the shop.

That puts me back to 7.3 Excursion type of investment.

BayMonty

I've bought those kind of everything for cheap suspension sets in the past for newly acquired old trucks. Will again, too if I take ownership of another old worn out machine.

Haven't been let down but here's my thinking on that.. My expectations are low. I do the work myself and I'm at a point where that kind of work is easy for me - that means the financial burden of early failure if it happens is pretty low, may not be so easy to justify if you pay professionals for their time. So on an old rig where everything is worn out already this is the fastest and easiest way to get it all at a baseline of function. Then as those cheap parts presumably wear out, I can take my time learning the weaknesses and tracking down premium parts.

I can't even say those cheap parts have worn out, in most cases they turned out the temporary solution that became permanent.

That’s a really good process. I actually went to auto tech school right out of high school. After about a year and a half I knew I wasn’t going to be a grease monkey forever and went another direction. That was 17 years ago :) Now, I’ve got 6 kids and have very limited time. At this point it’s beneficial to pay the shop to do the work. Maybe when all the kids get older I can get back under the hood and do a father son project.

twodollars

I bought a trq front end set for a 2wd sierra 1500. Came with inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, etc. I just made sure the parts I chose were able to be greased. Filled them up after install, no issues after 10k. It's a street driven commuter, 2.5 inch lift. Good value for me, but as mentioned earlier I did the install, which is pretty easy if you have done it before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle