Truck Bed Utilization

jonathon

I’m looking for some ideas on what others have done for the bed of their trucks. I have a Ram 2500 with an 8’ bed and currently a soft tri-fold cover. We tent camp when in really rough country and have an Escape trailer on order for everything else.

The soft cover works pretty good. It keeps stuff mostly dry and from blowing out of the truck. It’s also easy to remove for hauling and it works well folded up with the dog. The downside is access to the front of the bed is terrible without unloading the truck. It’s also not secure, both from thieves and from keeping stuff from shifting around going down the road. We also want to start taking a canoe and that’s not easy with what we have now.

I’ve been pondering two ideas. The first is a Diamondback cover. The Diamondback solves the front access issue and the security issue. Would still need to devise something to keep the contents from rolling around too much. The downside seems to be it’s not easy to completely remove, though removing the back half or folding it forward and strapping it down would work most of the time.

The other idea I’ve thought about is a toolbox and racks, likely from ProTech as they are local. The toolbox would secure most of the stuff thieves would want like tools and the chain saw. The racks would easily take care of the canoe. There would be 6’ of open bed available as well. I don’t mind using water proof totes but how do you tie them down to keep them from shifting?

The only thing I know I don’t want is the Decked system. It looks awesome but I need the full depth of the bed.

If money was unlimited I’d probably look at the Highway Products pickup pack. Everything is a compromise....

andy_b

I’m looking for some ideas on what others have done for the bed of their trucks. I have a Ram 2500 with an 8’ bed and currently a soft tri-fold cover. We tent camp when in really rough country and have an Escape trailer on order for everything else.

The soft cover works pretty good. It keeps stuff mostly dry and from blowing out of the truck. It’s also easy to remove for hauling and it works well folded up with the dog. The downside is access to the front of the bed is terrible without unloading the truck. It’s also not secure, both from thieves and from keeping stuff from shifting around going down the road. We also want to start taking a canoe and that’s not easy with what we have now.

I’ve been pondering two ideas. The first is a Diamondback cover. The Diamondback solves the front access issue and the security issue. Would still need to devise something to keep the contents from rolling around too much. The downside seems to be it’s not easy to completely remove, though removing the back half or folding it forward and strapping it down would work most of the time.

The other idea I’ve thought about is a toolbox and racks, likely from ProTech as they are local. The toolbox would secure most of the stuff thieves would want like tools and the chain saw. The racks would easily take care of the canoe. There would be 6’ of open bed available as well. I don’t mind using water proof totes but how do you tie them down to keep them from shifting?

The only thing I know I don’t want is the Decked system. It looks awesome but I need the full depth of the bed.

If money was unlimited I’d probably look at the Highway Products pickup pack. Everything is a compromise....

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I would go with a slide out versus a drawer system. With drawers, while you have access to the contents, you still have to reach for stuff deep inside. With a slide that extends 100%, you can get to everything no matter where it is. You can also use any number of anchoring systems to secure the contents of the bed. Avoid slides that don't come out all the way - then you're just spending money but not getting the full benefit of the slide itself.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 72

86scotty

Cynic
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I would go with a slide out versus a drawer system. With drawers, while you have access to the contents, you still have to reach for stuff deep inside. With a slide that extends 100%, you can get to everything no matter where it is. You can also use any number of anchoring systems to secure the contents of the bed. Avoid slides that don't come out all the way - then you're just spending money but not getting the full benefit of the slide itself.

Don't mean to hijack but could you tell us about your slides? I have never seen any that deep.

andy_b

Don't mean to hijack but could you tell us about your slides? I have never seen any that deep.

Well, I have this one for sale if you're interested... :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, I got this one from Slide-Masters in WI. They do commercial and rescue applications. Their retail game is not as strong as others, it seems. They can custom make a slide to almost any dimension or extension. They were great to work with and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

When compared to the other brands, Slide-Masters was a way better value. The only advantage the others had were the ergos as it pertains to the handle. I'm short and when the truck is on uneven ground but leveled on blocks, it can make the bed really hard to access. Not having 100% extension that can hold the full rated cargo capacity seemed like a waste of money. This way, I got to have my cake and eat it, too.

mekcanix

Camper
My Truck is only 1500 with a short bed, but here is my $.02 worth. This weekend I picked up a used toolbox and installed it on my truck, which had a soft roll up tonneau cover when purchased at the end of may. I shortly thereafter picked a used cargo bed slide, which I love.
So this weekend installed the toolbox and shortened the cover. The purpose of all this is to give me a place to mount my Viair compressor and my second Battery.
(My wife hates Caps on trucks and was adamant I would not put one on the rebel as she does not like the lack of rear visibility with a cap, and I want her driving it too and enjoying it!)truck box.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My Truck is only 1500 with a short bed, but here is my $.02 worth. This weekend I picked up a used toolbox and installed it on my truck, which had a soft roll up tonneau cover when purchased at the end of may. I shortly thereafter picked a used cargo bed slide, which I love.
So this weekend installed the toolbox and shortened the cover. The purpose of all this is to give me a place to mount my Viair compressor and my second Battery.
(My wife hates Caps on trucks and was adamant I would not put one on the rebel as she does not like the lack of rear visibility with a cap, and I want her driving it too and enjoying it!)
Lol, my canopy was vetoed too...

I'm just using a hard tri fold. So far it works well. If I need to haul something larger, I just fold it up. To keep things from sliding around, maybe look at a removable cargo divider system?

IMG_4434.JPG
SDCE5268.JPG

Maybe something like this for a cargo divider?

download.jpg

Attachments

• 842_4-796.jpg
    842_4-796.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18

phsycle

Adventurer
Large storage
Security
Easy access
Easily removable

My suggestion:
Softtopper
Cargo slide
Wheel well tool box

wanabxtrm

Observer
DIY... hi topper (snugtop) with wooden drawer on half, open side on other for the dog/bike/etc. I can remove the metal barriers and place other board cut to fit to give me a full flat surface if needed. But at this point this is the setup as it’s evolved and fits my needs.
2AF854B0-9A81-47C3-B820-AFBC0CA63972.jpegE3BF5994-7825-4C65-B0B0-17A40817BDCD.jpeg2135552C-A34D-4EBC-AF61-43D46760A9FF.jpeg
With the full floor...078E7CAE-98ED-4DEE-927B-9B9433D41EB5.jpeg

Last edited:

jonathon

Thanks guys!

The slides look really interesting, that would almost make me go back to a hard canopy. I absolutely loathed climbing into the back of my 5.5 foot bed Tacoma with a canopy on it and my wife hated it too.

bas157

You mentioned the Diamondback doesn't seem easy to completely remove. It actually is very easy to remove. Its 4 bolts to loosen to remove the middle section. They middle section is held on with the 4 of the clamps they use to hold truck caps on. The two ends, you need to remove the end of the gas strut, 4 struts total, but they have a thing on the end so to remove each one takes about 5 seconds. The end panels just slide off. I know they've made a new hinge design which I assume makes it a little easier to take on and off. By myself, I can have it off within 15 minutes. If I had someone helping, it would be maybe 7 minutes, possibly less. With an air ratchet and hurrying, I think it could be done in under 5 minutes.

Maybe these for helping to keep your cargo from sliding around: https://securemycargo.com/anchor-point-extender-straps/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle