Truck Roof Top Tent

cjvilla77

Is there a RTT out there that just has truck bed access? Without going through GFC, snapoutfitters or Alu cab? A tent with a removable floor so it would be a universal fit for any size truck?

I've been thinking the same thing.

I'm building out a trailer using an m116 frame and a 6' Sears Bradley trailer body on top to greatly reduce the weight. Of course the military axle is long gone too, replaced with a 3500 lb one and wheels to match the tow rig.

My dream trailer would have a large single bed that folds open like an RTT to reveal a hard floor area with trap doors to the covered bed area. I'm hoping to build a prototype this spring.

MGSlynch

This was my thought as well. I wish there was an overland rack system like a CBI, for example, that was sealed off from the outside with a sheet metal enclosure and then just mount a RTT to it that had a removable floor that can be accessed. I'm contemplating doing just that building a prototype. Whole costs would be 3kish.

Josh41

Adventurer
Following, just sold my FWC and would love to find a RTT with hatch in bottom to bolt on top of standard truck cap. Somebody, please take this idea and run with it.

jasmtis

This idea crossed my mind when I was attracted to picking up something like a GFC but wanted to be able to use whatever I bought on both my Tacoma and my Range Rover Classic(even if the pass through would only be useful on the Taco), but then it crossed its way right back out again for a few key reasons. The issue stems from the fact that the structure for a roof top tent is in the floor because they are designed to be supported by horizontal load bars, while something like a GoFastCamper can be designed from the ground up with the structure around the outside edge. Take the Eezi Awn Series III for instance as the structure on the bottom of the tent is exposed and easy to see, if you look at the bottom of the 1400 model there is a spot where you could cut out a pass through but it would be pretty impractically small to the point it wouldn't really be useful for anything besides slipping down into the bed to grab something and maybe making it slightly easier to put pants on in the morning. Larger models have additional supports and provide no spot to cut a pass through. For me at least the occasional trip down a ladder to get something and dressing horizontally aren't such big pain points that they need addressing, the real appeal of a GFC or similar is that they provide a proper space where you could cook or hang out during inclement weather. Chopping a hole in the bottom of a rooftop tent would give me at best a poor imitation of that and do a poor job of being modular because whenever the tent's off the Tacoma I'd have a gaping hole in my topper to fill which would never be particularly watertight unless I engineered a gutter system similar to a sunroof and that was where I drew the line of the project being pointlessly complicated.

cjvilla77

You might be overthinking it a little. I'm just looking for a flippac/GFC/Alu Cab style RTT that has access to my truck bed so I can increase the living space a little. My thoughts are there may be some people who don't want to pay for the full package but like the idea of utilizing their existing truck bed for more space. In my case, my truck is too small for any of those companies to commit to making one that would fit. I have a ford sport trac.
I think with all the interest in GFC, RTT and truck campers in general, a universal fit (all you need is a truck bed/ladder rack)RTT truck camper is an untapped market.

jasmtis

I think I got carried away with my example and did a bad job of closing out my point, if you look at the way existing pop-top campers are designed(very easy to see on a GFC with the side panels open) they rely on structure in the side of the camper to give the side rails the support they need so that the floor of the tent doesn't need to be a structural element and then can be removable. I don't think Alu Cab and GFC were just being dense and not seeing the possibility of the sort of thing you're talking about when making standalone hardshell RTT versions of their campers, the floor probably needs to be a structural element if they want it to be compatible with a variety of racks.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
So yeah, there seems to be a market for this very useful idea....

I too have thought about getting a some kind of a hard shell RTT, cutting an acess port in the bottom and mounting it on top of a reinforced truck shell. My interest would mainly be gaining the extra height of the popped up tent for being able to stand up in the shell.

Main reason I haven’t done this yet is my strange reluctance to buy a nice $3000 RTT and then butcher it!

Having the RTT easily removeable would be a plus (with a flat hatch covet for use without the RTT) mainly because I live in a neighborhood where I have to park inside my carport (damn HOA rules) and the entry for my carport is too low for me to fit in something lime a GFC or AluCab.

Hope you guys start your work on your prototypes soon and sharepost your builds.

MGSlynch

I'm thinking just getting an overland rack like CBI or Voodoo Max Rack then mounting sheet metal to the inside so I can still utilize the rack on the outside. Closing out the rack with sheet metal on the top and sides then cutting out into the RTT and then adding floor board access in the tent. Seems like an untapped market as this provides overland utility and GoFast access for more living space.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I'm thinking just getting an overland rack like CBI or Voodoo Max Rack then mounting sheet metal to the inside so I can still utilize the rack on the outside. Closing out the rack with sheet metal on the top and sides then cutting out into the RTT and then adding floor board access in the tent. Seems like an untapped market as this provides overland utility and GoFast access for more living space.
I am making a top for a customers first gen 4 runner. Like a fwc pop up and you do not have to move pads like a gfc to get into the bed. I will be offering the toppers in the coming months that can be bolted to anything. Will be at expo west and east if you want to look at it.
Kevin

MGSlynch

I am making a top for a customers first gen 4 runner. Like a fwc pop up and you do not have to move pads like a gfc to get into the bed. I will be offering the toppers in the coming months that can be bolted to anything. Will be at expo west and east if you want to look at it.
Kevin

Outstanding looking forward to it.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Outstanding looking forward to it.
Will keep you posted. Guy that was buying one and had planned to be at west bailed on me. All tops will be insulated and pop to a full 40" Shell or with add on modular components.
My toppers can go on my diy pod kits also
Great for the diy teardropers. If you want more details feel free to PM me
Kevin

Last edited:

RockyZR2

Kevin
Hey Kevin,

I'm interested in what you are doing for a multitude of applications. How do I get a hold of you to chat?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hey Kevin,

I'm interested in what you are doing for a multitude of applications. How do I get a hold of you to chat?
Great timing, finalized my glue for the panels and will be making a few proto lower pods and 2 toppers. Shoot me a pm and we can talk further. Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger