Truck shell - Driving with the back window open

phsycle

Adventurer
I’m looking to get a shell. Probably a Leer or something of that sort.

At times, I carry bikes (over the tailgate) and SUP/Kayaks that stick out the back.

I doubt the struts on a standard shell rear window is strong enough to be driven with it open, especially on some of the dirt roads I go on. Are there ones that are meant to be taken off? Or other solutions?

(none)

Adventurer
You'd be surprised... They are pretty strong and the glass doesn't weight that much.

for on road stuff, you shouldn't have a problem. Rough rough stuff, maybe just strap the window down, use a pool noodle or something for cushioning.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks. I was hoping for a more elegant solution but if that works, then that’s at least the simplest.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Drive with mine open from time to time. If the road is REALLY rough, and you're driving like you're filming a Toyota commercial, then you'll want to pull it down and secure it so it doesn't slam down and break the glass. Otherwise, it stays up just fine with good struts.

ThundahBeagle

I've opened mine for yard work on the weekend, closed the tailgate when done, and driven 60 highway miles to work the following Monday without realizing it

Pool noodle along the bottom edge and tie down onto whatever sticks out is as good a solution as any. I've done something like that too

David_h

I’m looking to get a shell. Probably a Leer or something of that sort.

At times, I carry bikes (over the tailgate) and SUP/Kayaks that stick out the back.

I doubt the struts on a standard shell rear window is strong enough to be driven with it open, especially on some of the dirt roads I go on. Are there ones that are meant to be taken off? Or other solutions?
Leaving it open on dirt roads will allow a lot of dirt to enter the shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle