Tundra and LC 200 Similarities?

jnhenry

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a while, reading through lots and lots of threads trying to gain some knowledge. Now it's time to start asking some questions.

So, here are my two questions:

- How much similarity is there between the 2nd generation Tundra and the current Land Cruiser 200 in engine and parts? From what I've found online it appears the engines are from the same UR series, with the 4.6L and 5.7L being used in both the Tundra and LC 200's in the U.S., Middle East and Australia.

- Does the Tundra share parts with any other Toyota vehicle that would make it easier to get parts outside of the U.S. when the need arises?

What I'm thinking about doing is a long overland trip covering North and South America, and maybe beyond. The vehicle would need to be able to get off the beaten path, but not do anything too serious. I'm not going to go rock crawling in it, though I could see myself getting off the roads and into the wilderness of the Western U.S. and the Patagonia region. Comfort and being able to live out of the vehicle for 1-2 years is key; and I'm liking the concept of the Flippac rather than a RTT which is leading me towards a truck as the potential vehicle.

Availability of parts aside, I'd probably lean more towards the Tundra over the Tacoma just do to size and load capability. But, being able to get parts and do maintenance is (obviously) important.

Appreciate any input, and thanks for your help.

Jeff

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've read about someone on ih8mud putting Tundra front brakes on a LC200. I'm assuming that was for larger/better braking but have not researched the details. He also is putting the Tundra rear axle into the LC200 due to it's wider track by 3+" So, it seems a lot of stuff is transferable but I have also heard the engines are not similar enough to simply bolt on a TRD supercharger, though probably more to do with computer issues than just the main physical parts which it sounds like is your main concern. Seems to me that these are so new you wouldn't run into trouble anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner