Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Far as I know, no changes to the Ram bed for 23/24 vs 22. Should be good to go.
Guessing there won't be any changes until the Ram HD's switch over to the current 1500 cab.
Who knows when that'll be. Kinda surprised it has happened already. That cab's been out since 2009....

FAW3

Adventurer
Always nice to see a build starting with the foundational aspects being properly considered.

I find these discussions of someone's thought processes, design/feature priorities, essential kit and overlanding goals very interesting and enlightening.

I've had many "ah-ha" moments reading and absorbing this type of EP thread...and the end result is that they really helped me in my own rig decision process, potentially avoiding false steps and/or being overly influenced by what I term "bling glare".

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
How about the new xl off-road package Ford is offering? You get duratracs, the tremor front air dam, axle and t-case vent tubes, and skid plates from the factory for $1k. Comes with any bed and cab configuration whereas a Tremor requires you to go with crew cab short bed.

Interesting. I guess a good option if you’d rather stick to 33’s. Tremor is $4k so good bit more expensive (and cab config restrictions), But you do get 35’s and a slight lift (and warranty). For places I go, I’d be doing those mods anyway.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Interesting. I guess a good option if you’d rather stick to 33’s. Tremor is $4k so good bit more expensive (and cab config restrictions), But you do get 35’s and a slight lift (and warranty). For places I go, I’d be doing those mods anyway.
True. But, I'm sure 35's will for the XL stock too. Sell the brand new take off 33's and use the dough to put toward 35's in you are so inclined. Or just run the 33's until their done. That off road pkg is not a bad value.

hdas

F250 and F350 are the same bed/cab.
There must be some quirk bcs AluCab is being very explicit about it.

Far as I know, no changes to the Ram bed for 23/24 vs 22. Should be good to go.
Yep, just confirmed by Outfitter.

But another REAL wrinkle emerges: The Alu Cabin door wont support a 37" tire. So I will have to figure out a system that works with bike rack......In a cursory look found this, so I have options. But hate to have to install yet another heavy thing.

Ramble Rack

1695828458663.png

But I think there's more to this. In this video (starting at 11:35), Clay Croft talks about the constant weight pulling on the system, he has a slide in camper, so it might be different. I need to look into this in detail. He had custom made a rack with springs and weird angles to lessen the load.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This would be a desperate last resort measure. I hope I don't have to go there.

Perhaps not, at least not initially. But it'll be nice knowing I have the package I need and wont be limited in my journeys. I live in Colorado and have a plethora of crazy roads for exploration. It becomes a cost propositon.

No. I already have a Toyota Prius, Land Cruiser 100 and a Range Rover. All these are old but well maintained and perfectly functioning cars.
You have a Range Rover and your shy about the reliability of the big three trucks? Hey buddy 27yrs of Toyota’s here only one in the family that had them. I can tell you the GM and Fords in the family we’re considerably lower cost to own than my Toyota’s. The “reliability” thing is a whole lot of fan boy BS bled over from the 80’s😆. I own all Fords today and nothing is getting me back to Toyota especially the current vehicles being pitched with over MSRP prices.

GeorgeHayduke

One other nuance is the xl offroad package also comes with 17" wheels vs 18" in the tremor package. You get a little more rubber and softer ride with the 17" wheels (power wagon comes with 17" wheels too) but tires for 18" wheels have higher load capacities. If you care about payload stickers, you'll get a bigger number for an F350 with 18" wheels than 17". See the second to last page here: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten..._Ford_Super_Duty_Pickup_Towing_Info_Dec16.pdf

calicamper

Expedition Leader
A buddy does 30,000 ish miles a yr ditched his dodge diesel for a Tremor 250 7.3 two yrs ago. He’s added 3 ford 7.3’s to his business since loves it!!! Said the maintenance down time and cost of the diesel was a massive negative. The Tremor also doubles as his work truck and family vehicle the dodge was strictly his work truck. His experience so far is that the Tremor has been considerably cheaper to own and considerably easier to live with zero issues vs this diesel dodge which he said nearly required a personal assistant to schedule maintenance and manage while he drove one of his old fleet trucks for a few days at every service. The Ford he says is like any other car in and out back to work.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
There must be some quirk bcs AluCab is being very explicit about it.

Yep, just confirmed by Outfitter.

But another REAL wrinkle emerge: The Alu Cabin door wont support a 37" tire. So I will have to figure out a system that works with bike rack......In a cursory look found this, so I have options. But hate to have to install yet another heavy thing.

Ramble Rack

View attachment 798530

But I think there's more to this. In this video (starting at 11:35), Clay Croft talks about the constant weight pulling on the system, he has a slide in camper, so it might be different. I need to look into this in detail. He had custom made a rack with springs and weird angles to lessen the load.
XO also pulls a Patriot X3 camper.....Just another option... lol

phsycle

Adventurer
True. But, I'm sure 35's will for the XL stock too. Sell the brand new take off 33's and use the dough to put toward 35's in you are so inclined. Or just run the 33's until their done. That off road pkg is not a bad value.

The 33’s are really the big value adder in that package. So if you’re moving from 33’s anyway, just get the FX4 pkg for 1/2 the price then get 35’s.
Another option is to forego both of them, get the locked 4.30, then get real skids (ie RCI).

phsycle

Adventurer
Tremor requires XLT and 7.3 so it closer to $8k. Personally I would go XLT with 4.30s and call it good.

Yes, $8k over an XL w OR package. Although you do get more standard features with the XLT, so not directly Apple/apple comparison.

XLT 7.3 w locked 4.30 is a good compromise. I still think I’d spring the extra to go Tremor. I like the turn key option. Otherwise, I’d maybe start with an XL 7.3 w 4.30 then add suspension/tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach