Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

hdas

I had a useful thread exploring the idea of a lift + suspension upgrades for an Alu-Cabin build. Upon further examination of payload, It seems that the Tundra (Max Payload ~1800) would be near or below our payload needs. it would be fairly restrictive, specially when inviting someone for traveling or in an longer trip.

1695912150267.png

Im sure this is leaving many things out, which only makes the case for a bigger truck stronger. As a long time Toyota user, I'm very disappointed and feel really skeptical about the reliability of the other brands. However, it seems that before I make some drastic decisions (do a trailer setup), I want to fully explore my options in the bigger truck segment.

Here are the top contenders at the moment, in order of desirability (obviously correlated with price). I wasn't planning on spending this much on a truck, so that gives me some pause. Please comment if you have experience with any of these trucks or have some feedback regarding the decision making process.

Thanks a lot!

Contenders List:

1. RAM 3500 AEV Prospector Package.

prospector-44.jpg

2. RAM 2500 - Rebel

2023-Ram-2500-HD-Rebel-16.jpg

3. Ford F-250 Tremor

2023_ford_f-250-super-duty_crew-cab-pickup_lariat_fq_oem_1_815.jpg

4. GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 or AT4x

my24-gmc-sierra-hd-at4-gmca6553-v2-1665023844.jpg

5. Chevy Silverado HD ZR2 Bison

2023-Chevrolet-Silverado-HD-ZR2-front-three-quarters.jpg

Attachments

• 1695744519613.png
    1695744519613.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

hdas

Scott Brady had an article talking about this exact line up, Here are the highlights:

1. Reliability: There are no good objective measures, but Toyota seems to have the lead and no major differences among the other brands.
  2. Usually, the more capable the off-roading package, the worse the payload
  3. Diesel engine seems to be the preferred choice, with some caveats.
  4. Big trucks ride bad when unloaded, but that is not an issue for me.
  5. Ford Tremor seems to be his favorite "Optimal combination of capability and payload"
  6. GMC HD AT4 seems to have a very nice interior and ride quality but lacking some off-roading capabilities.
  7. RAM Tradesman is the value choice "The heavy-duty Rams are the ideal canvas for customization" but lacks locking rear differential and people don't like its transmission.
  8. RAM Power Wagon is pretty good but bad payload. The Rebel is not considered. Rebel would have to be gas engine, to conserve payload.
A preliminary conclusion is that if a Diesel Engine is preferred, then the Rebel has to be knocked out of the list. I will explore this issue further.

The criteria for Gas vs Diesel is:

- Cost
- Reliability
- Cost of maintenance
- Off Road performance
- Availability
- Fuel efficiency
- Range

H.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I agree with IdaSHO. Only I wouldn't even mess with a 3/4 ton, and just get a 1 ton. Doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in ride between the two, and the price difference is minimal. But the extra capability may come in handy when in the future your needs change again. Also - if you'll be off pavement a lot, go for a truck with a solid front axle versus independent front suspension. Better articulation and fewer moving parts to go wrong!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Any of the big-3 domestics in a 3/4 or 1-ton, regardless of engine will suit you fine. Id drive each one and purchase the one that you enjoy the most. They are all great trucks these days.
Scott Brady had an article talking about this exact line up, Here are the highlights:

1. Reliability: There are no good objective measures, but Toyota seems to have the lead and no major differences among the other brands.
  2. Usually, the more capable the off-roading package, the worse the payload
  3. Diesel engine seems to be the preferred choice, with some caveats.
  4. Big trucks ride bad when unloaded, but that is not an issue for me.
  5. Ford Tremor seems to be his favorite "Optimal combination of capability and payload"
  6. GMC HD AT4 seems to have a very nice interior and ride quality but lacking some off-roading capabilities.
  7. RAM Tradesman is the value choice "The heavy-duty Rams are the ideal canvas for customization" but lacks locking rear differential and people don't like its transmission.
  8. RAM Power Wagon is pretty good but bad payload. The Rebel is not considered. Rebel would have to be gas engine, to conserve payload.
A preliminary conclusion is that if a Diesel Engine is preferred, then the Rebel has to be knocked out of the list. I will explore this issue further.

The criteria for Gas vs Diesel is:

- Cost
- Reliability
- Cost of maintenance
- Off Road performance
- Availability
- Fuel efficiency
- Range

H.
What they said. Any of the trucks you posted would work. Each have their pros and cons.

Do you need the extra capability of a ZR2 Bison or AEV Prospector? If not, you could save some bucks by forgoing those packages as you mentioned you weren't intending on spending that much on a truck.

But on the flip side, if you're open to a trailer why not stick with the Tundra you want and just tow a trailer?

Would this truck be your Daily Driver? If so, why not have your preferred truck for DD purposes vs having to daily drive a larger truck just so you can haul a camper when you head out?

Added bonus of a trailer is you can leave it set up as a base camp and still go out exploring vs taking down camp and packing everything up every time you want to leave camp. Just food for thought.

Totally depends on your use case and what you feel would work best for you.

hdas

But on the flip side, if you're open to a trailer why not stick with the Tundra you want and just tow a trailer?
This would be a desperate last resort measure. I hope I don't have to go there.

Do you need the extra capability of a ZR2 Bison or AEV Prospector?
Perhaps not, at least not initially. But it'll be nice knowing I have the package I need and wont be limited in my journeys. I live in Colorado and have a plethora of crazy roads for exploration. It becomes a cost propositon.

Would this truck be your Daily Driver?
No. I already have a Toyota Prius, Land Cruiser 100 and a Range Rover. All these are old but well maintained and perfectly functioning cars.

COAKXterra

We love our power wagon (2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 130lb canine toddler, similar pack out list to your lean side). It does everything I need/ want it to do, at the obvious sacrifice of payload. But we tent camp and run an ARE shell. I’m weight conscious for sure with it, but still feel safely within handling limits. I do need to weigh it. Just for my own knowledge and planning

If I was replacing, I’d be looking heavily at the ram2500 rebel package.

But as said above… all the big three have solid options. Chevy/gmc apply if mainly “smooth” road and solid axle ford/ram if off-road focus

Flyelk1

Interesting. My Alu Cabin on my Tundra, loaded, bed built out, etc.. comes in 200-400 lbs below both axle ratings based on what I bring.

Haven’t had one issue in almost two years of having it on my truck.

Regardless, enjoy the new truck shopping. You’ll love the set up.

hdas

Interesting. My Alu Cabin on my Tundra, loaded, bed built out, etc.. comes in 200-400 lbs below both axle ratings based on what I bring.

Can you please elaborate?. Is your calculation exhaustive? Do you have goose gear?. How about the vehicle add ons? (tires, skidplates, rocksliders). Do you see something unreasonable in my spreadsheet?. Thanks a lot

tacollie

Glamper
I get your skepticism about leaving Toyota. I've owned 14 of them. We love our F-250. It's been a good vehicle. Only time I miss our Tundra is when I'm making u-turns. I would do drive all the trucks you're looking at.

They all have the pros and cons.

The RAM 2500 is the best riding in my opinion. It also has a shorter wheelbase and better turning radius.

There are 3 Chevy 3500s in my family and they ride like crap IMO. All are high mileage work trucks and have been super reliable.

We just spent 9 days in southern Colorado on back roads like in your pictures. Any of those trucks will take you there.

Flyelk1 is under their axle ratings but over GVWR.

Flyelk1

Well, for starters, I have the double cab (6.5 ft bed) not the crewmax. I don’t know if that changes things for you.

I built my own cabinets/storage with 8020 aluminum and 3/4” birchwood cabinet tops. In hindsight, I would have gone with the smaller size aluminum to save more weight. That stuff is plenty strong.

I have an extended RCI skid plate, custom Alcan spring pack, and 275 tires with Bilstein all around.

Prinsu roof rack, shower, awning, propane heater (FYI, don’t get the standard propane heater that everyone gets if your planning really cold camping, it can’t keep up in my opinion). I am going to sell mine and go with a diesel heater and a bunk heater as I cold camp for ice fishing.

Nothing fancy at all.

nickw

Adventurer
I get your skepticism about leaving Toyota. I've owned 14 of them. We love our F-250. It's been a good vehicle. Only time I miss our Tundra is when I'm making u-turns. I would do drive all the trucks you're looking at.

They all have the pros and cons.

The RAM 2500 is the best riding in my opinion. It also has a shorter wheelbase and better turning radius.

There are 3 Chevy 3500s in my family and they ride like crap IMO. All are high mileage work trucks and have been super reliable.

We just spent 9 days in southern Colorado on back roads like in your pictures. Any of those trucks will take you there.

Flyelk1 is under their axle ratings but over GVWR.
I've not driven a late model Chevy 3/4 or 1T but they are typically known for being very good driving / handling, I mean that is the big selling point with the IFS isn't it? Not saying you are wrong, but it's interesting to hear and challenges my pre-conceived notions.

My Tradesman 2500 I wouldn't classify as good riding, but it's all relative, feels a lot better with 1000+ lbs in the bed a full tank of gas and a weeks worth of gear.

Flyelk1

That is true, my GVWR is over but under on axle WR. Probably just like about 95% of people on here. Almost impossible to stay under GVWR with a camper, in my opinion.

To each their own. I wish you luck in your search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater