UAV-TD (Urban Assualt Vehicle - tear drop) build

silvrzuki77

explorer
Hey guys, thought I would share what I'm building to tow behind my T. I have this on the hummer forum, but wanted to wait till Inwas farther along before posting here. Everyone at work calls my T the Urban Assualt Vehicle lol soo00.
Here is my truck in current form
160.jpg

Soo my plans are to build a generic style teardrop but for offroad. My main purpose is to keep me and my two little guys inside a windproof, rain, and cold weather enclosure. Basically they kick the blankets off at night and I dont sleep at all trying to make sure they are warm. Obviously its going to be a new to me towing a trailer this big offroad and will limit me but I can always unhook to scout the road ahead. Over all plan is a 4.5' x 9' trailer, kitchen in the rear with my offroad fridge, 21 gallon water tank, propane, and setup for shower on the outside.
Here is the base 2x3" tubing that is .095 wall thick
frame.jpg

Found 5 matching H3 rims for $100 and had a pair of 315 tires laying around. Going to use suzuki samurai springs for a better ride offroad along with shocks eventually
frame2.jpg

Here is the water tank mocked up in place and the leaf springs the trailer is upside down obviously. Right now I should have 23" from the bottom of the frame to the ground.
framewithtank1.jpg

Now that frame is built I have a exact measurement for the 3500 pound axle I will be ordering. More later.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Weight is placedthe axle 40% forward of the rear bumper. Being a teardrop so its going to have a kitchen galley in the rear with a fridge and I am placing the deep cycle battery in the back so alot of the weight is going to be in the back. As for track width im at 72" on the trailer versus the hummers 68-69" wms. I am going to build tube fenders out of 1.5" round tube and sliders so i can drag it along if i have too. Im basically identical width and length as the commercial one being sold and its working pretty well for the most part.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I finished the roller portion somewhat on saturday. Axle perches are set at the correct distance, New suzuki samurai spring bushings pressed in, I learned I still hate hole saws with a passion and got it basically rolling. I notched the frame with the plasma cutter for the rear upper shackle mounts. I am using a set off ubolts for shackles till I order or build some. I need to fix some gouges on one side from the hole saw but I wont show that! :)
trailersuspension.jpg

All the upper portions and sides are welded. I am waiting for several other things, stabilizers, holes notches through crossmembers for water lines and other stuff then I will flip the chassis over and weld the under side for clean welds all around.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Finished up the bolt on water tank support. Need to add a aluminum skid plate to it. Here is the support sitting upside down.
F4C58C8A-DA0B-422C-8758-8A36656C6D4F-16533-00001D43D8C1FCA4.jpg

I also cut holes in the crossmembers and added tubing and welded them in as a utility chase for my water lines not to hang down.
3B261247-5B34-4F4D-9C3E-80F0A8A5067D-16533-00001D43DF5F349E.jpg

Next step is the tongue, build a set off shackles and tie down points for the floor. Once i get the prototype frame brackets for my h3t sliders ill make tube fenders for the trailer so i can bend all the steel at one time.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well finished the tongue. I was originally goong to weld the front to the main crossmember than got worried about fatigue over time and decided to notch the front crossmember and welded it to the second member. Lots of ratchet straps for the correct distance!
4DCBE70D-37F8-495E-B816-38F1DD10ECC3-17616-00001E50C975FE5D.jpg

Next got the support bars on and leveled up
D9A642EB-D165-4737-ACC6-2697CE1DE4D8-18949-000020ACDC3D4D40.jpg

Here is everthing welded up ready to go
06D47CA3-885C-4F6D-9790-D32E8CD9E9B2-18949-000020ACDEF5B6AB.jpg

Waiting on a response back from locknroll on their hitches to work with my 2x3 frame.
Next is shocks and bolt down points for the floor.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Will the upper frame be steel. Your base frame will be quite heavy and if steel upper you are going to be close to 1750 to 1800 empty and most likely over 2000 loaded. I do not see brakes on the axle, are you planning running with no brakes.

Frame looks very strong, you have a great start.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trail worthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

silvrzuki77

explorer
No the upper portion will not be steel it will be wood framed. The lower frame section is actually not as heavy as you would think. Probally around maybe 200- 250 pounds with the axle i can deadlift it with the axle by myself and Im only 5'9" 180 pounds lol. This is .090 wall not .120 like alot of the commercial ones. Im going to try without the brakes first it an easy fix if i change my mind. Ill try to get a dry weight when its rolling. I just checked your site I like your guys design!

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
My recommendation is put brakes on it. You never need them or think you will need them, until it is too late. They help a ton at times when you would least expect them to. You will have some cash tied up in it by the time you are done. Once you get it all done, think about the time and effort/love that you put in it. The brakes become trivial after all is said and done.

I thought it was 120 wall. 3x3 120 is not light for a trailer. If you saw what some of the rv type frames are made out of you would understand that you have really made a good frame. Nice work to.
Anxious to see your design. I use 2x2 120 on my frames with some 4x4 and 2x4 120 wall. But mine are a little larger than yours in width and length. My frame with the upper frame, and axle/brakes and tires comes in at 1000 pounds.

Keep us up to date.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trail worthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Subscribed.. Awesome build I'll be watching this for sure for future reference. Been thinking for a while about using those springs and the thinner wall tube really like how this build is coming together. Any shock absorbers going to be installed in the future?

silvrzuki77

explorer
Bob i think your going to be right in the long run and ill probally ended up putting them on before a trip. I did follow the build up of your first trailer now looking it over lots of cools stuff on it!
Silver dude, im goin to be using napa's replacement shock for the old m416 trailers. Just need to go get them soon.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

My recommendation is put brakes on it. You never need them or think you will need them, until it is too late. They help a ton at times when you would least expect them to.

I agree with Bob here on the brakes. Frame looks very well done, and it's good that you tied the tongue back to the second crossmember. Waiting patiently for the rest of the build....

silvrzuki77

explorer
Okay sorry guys finishing sliders for the hummer and went to death valley, holidays blah blah lol. Anyways im moving on it again. Here is the start of the tube fenders. Tacked on and level with everything. More progress in the next couple of days i hope. Oh brakes are on the to do list lol.
BE316D93-2371-41D2-BE61-FB635DE1DFDD-7739-00000C2A2DD006A2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3