UBET Upland Bird Expedition Trailer *Build Thread*

cheli

Since I stole a lot of ideas from all the members here I though I should a least post a build thread. LOL
I started with a Canadian M101A6? I think. It was built in 1981. I bought it off Craigslist for $500 Pretty good shape. No dents and little rust.
0328111909.jpg
I seperated the tub & frame, claened up all the rust, welded up some holes and primed and painted the tub Rustoleum Almond and the Frame Brown Leather. I used Rustoleum because I wanted to be able to get touch up paint anytime I needed it. 2 gallons of primer and 2 gallons of color. Nice thick coats.
HPIM4535.jpg
HPIM4538.jpg
I made a top out of 16 ga 1-1/2" steel tubing and covered it with 1/16" aluminum. I was going to weld it at all seams but that would have been a lot of work and I don't know how long it would last without any cracks. I decided to bend some caps and used clear silicone caulk and aluminum rivits. The top is 1 4' x 8' sheet and it overlaps the sides. I designed the top to overlap the tub sides by 1/2" and have a 1/2" drip edge all the way around.
HPIM4561.jpg

HPIM4563.jpg
HPIM4655.jpg
I boxed in one wheel well so I can store my tent poles on top and a battery and stereo and some other misc items under the other.
HPIM4564.jpg
The top is lifted by a set of Ford Expedition tailgate struts I found at a junkyard. The mounting plates also act a wipers to locate the roof.
HPIM4654.jpg
I made a side table out of 16 ga galvanized sheet metal.
HPIM4657.jpg
I used it for bird hunting trips. I got another dog a couple years ago and as he grew I was running out of room. Now it is just me and the dogs in the truck. Much nicer.
HPIM4614.jpg
HPIM4602.jpg
Thanks for all your help!!!

cheli

The counter sits into a set of clasps like this. I am making some reinforcement blocks for them. I'll post pictures when they are done.
fmh.jpg

jwlester

Observer
A man after my own heart. Now if we could just find native wild birds in the south....consistently. Happy hunt!!

Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3