Ultimate Overlander for under $10,000

justrom

Adventurer
Looks pretty close to most of the recommendations that people get on here. I was good with it right up to their compressor recommendation, ugh! Someone needs to show them an MV-50...

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Pretty good. Their winch advise definitely comes from someone who does not rely on their winch much. Smittybuilt? really? No thanks. Buy a junky winch but spend all your money on bumpers so when you get stuck or stranded and your winch fails you can admire your heavy bumpers that may of helped get you stuck:)
Cameron.

mbrewer

mbrewer
I'm not the most experienced, but I'd agree. A superwinch with 9600 lb rating can be had off amazon for ~$600 with synthetic line. It's not the best in the business, but it's a decent winch.
Also... having your brakes go out isn't exactly "reliably and safely". That should've been #1 on the list, before even working on the engine.

I feel like I need bumpers on my current build (I back in to trees, and I want a winch), but I'm going tube 'cause it saves a bundle. I also don't want the rear-access blocked, so no swingout. This means my total for bumpers is under a thousand. They needed a place for the spare I suppose, so a swingout was something of a necessity for that particular rig? *shrug*.

Last edited:

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
^Tube bumpers with a little winch coverage are great, plus the recovery points but don't stick a sub-par winch behind them is what I'm saying.
Cameron

94toy22re

Observer
I don't under stand all the hype of the 22re, i've had a 22re and a 22r and while their OK motors they don't compare to the 3rz, 5vzfe and 1/2/3UZ v8's they all have more power and the same or better mpg and better reliability. My 22re broke the timing chain guides at 110K and blew a HG at 170k and it always had EFI issues that causes surging and low/high idle.

Dalko43

Explorer
I think this blog, Indefinitely Wild, was originally on the Gawker media blog network (same one that has Jalopnik and others), since I remember one of its writers (Wes Siler) had some pieces on there. I guess they've moved to Outside? IMHO, the blog was okay. They had some interesting pieces, but the authors are self-proclaimed experts more than anything else and never really struck me as true experts on the various topics they wrote about (which ranged from surviving a mass-shooting to hunting to expedition travel).

Also, Wes Siler was known to write some very biased and anti-Republican pieces every now and then (which is not uncommon for Gawker media blogs). Definitely a blog and writer group that had some promise, but I don't want to read about someone else's political views when I'm perusing an outdoor blog.

This article was half-decent, though nothing groundbreaking as expedition portal has done in-depth articles on the sujbect: http://expeditionportal.com/the-10-commandments-of-modifying-an-overland-vehicle/
http://expeditionportal.com/top-10-used-overland-vehicles/

I'd be very interested in hearing how a nearly 30-year old vehicle holds up to long-term offroad and travel use. The author's point on initial cost is valid, but what is it going to cost to keep that dinosaur on the road for the long term?

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I'm a fan (of the 22RE)! In the 18 years it's been carrying me around, it's never left me stranded. I thought I'd have to give up on it a few times, but it's always been a simple fix. I wonder if we're meant to be like Mallard ducks--paired for life.

I have a much cheaper winch than the one in the article (a Chicago Electric 8000). It always works without a hitch and it's been on there, probably almost 10 years now. I've never believed in the "you get what you pay for" mantra. Sometimes, you're just paying for a logo and advertisements.

These "dinosaurs" are often pretty easy to keep going. I've found that they take some tinkering at times, but the cost is usually low. HomeOnTheHighway is another great example...87 4runner (with more miles on it) to the tip of S. America and back. They had a little trouble at times, but reliability was probably about the same as a newer rig and costs remained pretty low.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...a-in-an-87-4Runner?highlight=homeonthehighway

Last edited:

GodwinAustin

Very cool article, with good perspective.

The only part I really found odd is the rec. for a rear locker first before a front. Never understood that. Seems like an either/or decision with the front getting priority if that is where most of your weight is...

Dalko43

Explorer

The only part I really found odd is the rec. for a rear locker first before a front. Never understood that. Seems like an either/or decision with the front getting priority if that is where most of your weight is...

The general consensus is that, at least for the purposes of overlanding, you should go for a rear locker first, and then a front locker. Many vehicles have a slight weight bias up front (mostly due to engine and other components), but when you start loading up your rig and then take into account that many situations requiring a locker will have your rig on a slight incline, a rear locker seems a lot more useful than a front one (if you have to pick and choose as having both would be ideal).

_ExpeditionMan

Adventurer

The general consensus is that, at least for the purposes of overlanding, you should go for a rear locker first, and then a front locker. Many vehicles have a slight weight bias up front (mostly due to engine and other components), but when you start loading up your rig and then take into account that many situations requiring a locker will have your rig on a slight incline, a rear locker seems a lot more useful than a front one (if you have to pick and choose as having both would be ideal).

Actually I believe they went with a rear locker to keep things simple and reliable. A locker in the front can be very very hard on IFS suspensions, especially in a truck that old. Without beefing it up for a locker they would be asking for broken parts. Just think about it, you'd be asking 25 plus year old parts to rotate at the same speed, with heavier than stock tires, while moving independently, and having to steer OR you could put one in the solid rear axle and mostly forget about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77