Under flatbed box questions.

Newbflat

Does anyone know if there is an off the shelf option for the triangle shaped under a flat bed box you mount behind the rear wheel For better departure angle clearance? Trying to avoid custom box costs. This would be for a 99 F350 long bed/flatbed .

Also, is there a rule or any wise thoughts on how close a under mounted box can be to the rear tire. I’m referring to the space between the cab and the rear wheel. Curious on how close I can get a box before it’s an issue.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Protech will make custom sized boxes that are not any more expensive that there standard box that is that size.

They will make anything as long as you can supply them with a drawing

I have not asked them to build a triangular box, yet

The only catch is you have to order through a local dealer

Newbflat

Protech will make custom sized boxes that are not any more expensive that there standard box that is that size.

They will make anything as long as you can supply them with a drawing

I have not asked them to build a triangular box, yet

The only catch is you have to order through a local dealer
Hmmm... that’s not my experience. I looked at a bid for custom topside boxes for under an Alaskan camper that I’m getting and it was $5800 for a slightly nicer version than I can buy off the shelf for less that half that. I will ask them though.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Hmmm... that’s not my experience. I looked at a bid for custom topside boxes for under an Alaskan camper that I’m getting and it was $5800 for a slightly nicer version than I can buy off the shelf for less that half that. I will ask them though.

I think you need to try a different dealer!

I have spent less than that for 7 boxes, two were custom, and a generator enclosure, plus 5 sets of mounting brackets and shipping

What was the upgrades that you had quoted?

Chuck1

Flat beds are big in Australia, not so much here, they have lots of choices, search ( tapered under tray box ) might be cheaper even with shipping, just an ideal since its a dead end here.

Toyaddict

Like @Chuck1 said Australia has all the good options for trays, undertray boxes, trundle drawers, etc. I ended up buying these off ebay. They were $189 shipped for the pair when I purchased, that may give you an idea on the quality. They aren't watertight or terribly secure as shipped. I was going to build my own before I settled on them.

Toyaddict

I think adding some ~ 1/8" thick foam on the door will solve the water issue, the box seal is decent but the door doesn't contact it evenly in all locations. I only keep recovery gear, tied downs, bungees in one and 3 tarps of various sizes in the other.

Since I'm storing relatively low value items and the doors will flex and bend if a thief was motivated enough I just leave mine unlocked, and the water intrusion is less of an issue as well. The hinge being exposed gets grit in it but so far hasn't been an issue. Here's a gratuitous poser shot. Mine were sold as GPI racing brand.

24DE4C56-90AD-473C-8AB8-DC59093BDC35.jpeg

That’s funny I was looking for the same thing yesterday. I think I’m going to go with Brait ones of eBay. Getting the flatbed installed on Monday

Newbflat

Sweet!
I think you need to try a different dealer!

I have spent less than that for 7 boxes, two were custom, and a generator enclosure, plus 5 sets of mounting brackets and shipping

What was the upgrades that you had quoted?

The owner of Alaskan campers had them draw them up and give him a quote. It was for one long box for an 8.5 foot flatbed with a shallow section for the wheel well swell on the camper, plus they had sort of short doors on the ends to clear the camper jack brackets that interfered with the full sized doors. The price was Protech’ s bid to him.

Newbflat

Thanks gentlemen. Just what I’ve been looking for. Flatbed goes on in February, camper is done in April I think. Boxes to follow.

Newbflat

Hi all, ok flatbed on. I have come to the realization that most all under bed boxes are designed for DRW trucks and 8’ wide beds. Having a SRW, 7’ wide bed limits me to boxes that are basically about 14” deep as the leaf spring hangers get in the way. So the standard 18”x18” boxes won’t fit. But can’t find 14” deep boxes that are 30” long anywhere off the shelf. I’m running out of money so I’m trying to find off the shelf boxes that will fit and not dip into custom boxes. I was so hoping to fit 18“x18”x30“ boxes in front of the tires but that looks like its not going to happen, i would lobe to find 18”Hx14”Dx30”L off the shelf boxes. . Any thoughts on this?

ExpoMike

Hi all, ok flatbed on. I have come to the realization that most all under bed boxes are designed for DRW trucks and 8’ wide beds. Having a SRW, 7’ wide bed limits me to boxes that are basically about 14” deep as the leaf spring hangers get in the way. So the standard 18”x18” boxes won’t fit. But can’t find 14” deep boxes that are 30” long anywhere off the shelf. I’m running out of money so I’m trying to find off the shelf boxes that will fit and not dip into custom boxes. I was so hoping to fit 18“x18”x30“ boxes in front of the tires but that looks like its not going to happen, i would lobe to find 18”Hx14”Dx30”L off the shelf boxes. . Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, in a similar situation as well. One option might be to get the 18" deep ones and have a local fab shop cut the back off and narrow the box and reweld the back on. Should be fairly straight forward for any fab shop and likely not cost a ton of money to do.

Newbflat

ExpoMike...I was thinking about that. Mostly because one box would fit a lot better if a corner was cup off as the filler tube is in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk