Unimog camper

Idahounimog

Which is my best option.I currently own 3 unimogs.all have snow blowers. Yrs are 86,89,93.the 89 has 4wheel steer and the l10 Cummins rear motor.I'd like advice on which would make the best camper conversion.

Sitec

Adventurer
Not a decision that can be made without a bit more info and pics... I'd be looking at top speeds as a priority as you need to be able to cruise. Second on the list would be fuel economy, third on the list would be vehicle condition.. Which one in your mind is best, has the best wheel base, the right wheel/tyre equipment, which Mog has the best cab? Add to that parts availability for each respective vehicle.. The Cummins powered unit is of interest, but how has the conversion been done? Are parts available etc... :)

Idahounimog

I'm having a hard time loading pics of these unimogs.I'll keep working it.all are in excellent condition.the 86 has the longer wheel base.all have fast axles.thank you I'll get more pics and specs

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The "cummins rear motor" is usually a separate motor that runs just the snow blower - the stock motor still drives the wheels. This is necessary for serious snow blowing as the speed is low but the aount of power required to blow the snow is huge...

I would say that the 4 wheel steer truck isn't necessary or desirable for an overland vehicle - I would go with a LWB model.

Idahounimog

Thanks k you guys it looks like I'll be going with the 86 lwb.I'll send pics as soon as I figure out how to do it on this portal

loonwheeler

Adventurer
I personally second the opinion that for a camper the LWB is nearly a must depending on your needs. I can also mention that a turbo is also very nice to have at higher elevations if you have the choice between your three Mogs. Also having the higher hp in combination with the fast axles is a very nice combination if you plan to travel longer distances and wish to maintain higher cruising speeds. :smiley_drive:

My U1300L is currently naturally aspirated - but I am planning to add a turbo in the next few months to increase the motor from 130 bhp to around 170-180 bhp. Here at higher elevations (Colorado) the lack of a turbo and the power / torque limitations it presents can make "safe" highway and interstate travel a little interesting at times. Once off the main roads at slower speeds I have no issues, but hauling ~15,000 lbs at elevation using main thoroughfares up and down mountain passes is a tall order for the stock naturally aspirated diesel (1986 stock NA OM352).

If you don't mind me asking - what engines and models are the three Mogs you own? As others have stated, this info really helps to form an accurate opinion.

Idahounimog

I'm not sure of the engine sizes.to honest this my first time toying with unimogs.I will post as soon as I have more info.thanks for all the input

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I second that.....what models do you have? What and where you plan to travel and with how many folks? A nice 406 with a tent-top would be cool.

Idahounimog

Yjn7KL.jpg

Idahounimog

Ok so there are the pics of the two unimogs and the third is identical to the yellow but orange in color.the last pic is the camper to be installed on the best choice.any advice would be appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater