unique utility trailer build

rain76king

Adventurer
So there's been a evolution of my trailer needs.

My first trailer was a rusty old m416 I bought, cleaned up, threw a tongue box on it with a battery system and a lid with a roof top tent and called it done.
13052_207207495294_501170294_453994.jpg

13052_207207490294_501170294_453994.jpg

045.jpg

13052_207207480294_501170294_453994.jpg

032-1.jpg

This worked great for me while I was single and didn't need the space.
I also didn't travel too far out of the New England area.

My second was a huge score of an imported South African Cutt's Manufacturing Bundu Safari Trailer. Some may have remembered the thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/34445-New-Safari-trailer(to-me).
I must of moved the location of the pictures in the thread.
To sum it up though it was a rusty mess when I got it but after a lot of elbow grease, rust sealer, primer and paint I got a wonderful purpose built trailer that has served me quite well after 2 years of club event's, camping trips and quick weekend getaways.
Some pictures of the project below-
027-1.jpg

13052_207209420294_501170294_453995.jpg

025-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

GetAttachmenthuhuhh.jpg

ssdddsssxx.jpg

ssdddsssxx.jpg

trailerdone.jpg

11-1.jpg

safaritrailerdone.jpg

rain76king

Adventurer
I love the idea of the utility bodies turned into trailers.
The problem with them in my eyes is that they are typically very heavy in nature.
The other issue is that you lose a lot of the weather proof storage that you get with the "clam shell" style or as I refer to them as the coffin style!

The issues I have with the clam shell style trailer is having the RTT on the hinged lid.
My wife is not an early riser like myself, so if I want to get up and set up camp or start breakfast it means she needs to get out of the tent.
Also she is about 5'2 and if she needs to access something in the far hinged area of the trailer she needs to basically climb in.

I have been searching for about 2 years for a unique utility body to do a trailer build on.
It needed to meet the following requirements.

It had to not weigh a lot.
It would need to have a lid or have an area for me to build a lid for to have storage out of the elements.

I know I can find some of those things in some of the finely built overland trailers on the market but I'm not willing to drop that sort of coin on a trailer.

What I found completely reached and far exceeded all the requirements that I had hoped to be able to find.

Here are some pictures of what I will be building.
Your ideas and guidance in this build will be greatly appreciated.

06-12-10_1905.jpg

012-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

36x36.jpg

014.jpg

015-1.jpg

0151.jpg

020-1.jpg

012-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

Trailer is all aluminum and we are guessing that it weighs in at about 4-500 pounds.
There are reinforced beams on the roof so it's plenty strong to be able to mount a roof top tent on.
We are most likely going the way of a large or family style car top tent.
will also equip the trailer with a FoxWing awning. This will attach to the drivers side.
The large size tent will take up the entire roof of the trailer and will open to the passenger side of the vehicle.
This is the side of the truck that has the slide out drawer that at this point we're planning on making it a kitchen set up.
The nice part of running this large tent is we are able to utilize the large changing room style option that will pretty much enclose that kitchen area and the large side opening into the trailer.
Trailers frame will be the typical ladder style trailer frame.
Will go with leaf springs for the cheap and simple factor.
The standard 3,500 pound trailer axle with electric brake and a bolt pattern matching my FZJ80.
Would like to run 315 KM2's to match the FZJ80.
I would like a good size tongue box but there seems to be nothing on the market to meet my needs so I may need to seek a local fabricator.

That's where I'm at now, really excited about this build!

We have a 14-16 day trip planned at the end of August that will take us from Boston, Through VT and into Quebec. From there we will be hitting the Trans Lab Highway and catching a ferry to Newfoundland, down the coast of Newfoundland and hopping another ferry to Nova Scotia to check out the area and then driving home through Maine back to Boston.

Hoping to have the trailer done for then but it's not imperative.

Last edited:

loren85022

Explorer
Boy, thats got all types of potential. What are the dimensions? I too am slowly building my trailer from a utility body. One thing I see on yours reminded me that I was able to modify the old fuel inlet to host my water tank's inlet. I have 16 gallons sitting low and in front of the axle.

Tonto Fishery-0211.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
That platform is gonna be an awesome build!!

Tons of potential, once you get the frame figured out. If you think about how much room, is under a standard truck frame, I bet you'll even have space for the water tank.

I remember that second trailer, it was the score of the century!

Good luck with the new one, the weathers been great so you might get an early jump on it!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Small in size, slide outs, overhead cover, and light weight.
What else could you ask for. What $$ did you score it for?
a simple frame and matching wheels.
This will be a cool build!

rain76king

Adventurer
Thanks Pat. Looking forward to moving forward with this.

Mark, yes I was amazed to find this in CT on craigslist.
It had everything I had been looking for and I paid full asking price because I knew I would never see one again.
Asking price was under 1k and I would imagine it is worth a lot since it's all aluminum. Yes Aluminum! Just the fact that it will never rust was a huge selling point.
This utility body was built by Pierce http://www.piercemfg.com/en/Home.aspx and in 1983!

rain76king

Adventurer
Not too much to update-

Ordered two 315/75/16 KM2s
got two used leaf springs out of a FJ62...Thanks Remy1974!
Ordered a easy axle swap kit from Ruff Stuff to be able to spring under or spring over the axle to better match the LX450's ride height.
ordered pin kits for the leafs from CoolCruisers.
Ordered shackle hangers and shackles from Ruff Stuff as well.
Will order a Max coupler within the week as well.

Once I get the tires here I can get them mounted and get them under the utility body, from there I can measure for trailer axle width.
Once I have a measurement I will have to factor in the width of the Lug centric to hub centric adapters in order to run matching LX450 rims.

Once I find a large triangular tongue box I can get moving on figuring out the frame.

There is progress going on but just not anything worthy of photos...unless you want to see a before and after of my bank account...lol

Woods

Explorer
Great find. The slide out kitchen will be killer.

Are all the door hinges made of aluminum? I'm still figuring out the best way to hinge aluminum. So fare, I've had to use stainless steel hinges and an anti-electrolysis paste called Duralac.

Sounds like you do some good work, looking forward to see thing grow into a sweet ride. Subscribed.

rain76king

Adventurer
Great find. The slide out kitchen will be killer.

Are all the door hinges made of aluminum? I'm still figuring out the best way to hinge aluminum. So fare, I've had to use stainless steel hinges and an anti-electrolysis paste called Duralac.

Sounds like you do some good work, looking forward to see thing grow into a sweet ride. Subscribed.

The doors are aluminum.
They are mounted on which looks to be an aluminum piano hinge. Hinge is welded to door, door is bolted to body.
I hope this helps.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
What a great find, I found one similar but drug my feet to long. Really looking forward to your build. Great work in the past indicates this will be something very special. Can hardly wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater