Updating a 1988 Skamper 072S

xdbx

Adventurer
Skamp made its maiden voyage this weekend...

P1010678-L.jpg

P1010679-L.jpg

Turns out our favorite campground was still closed for the winter... This early spring has been AWESOME! :wings:

P1010689-L.jpg

I'll update more later this week when I can photo document the progress. There's certainly been a LOT of work since last post, mainly in the building of that corner mold. We ended up making several different molds and plugs, and the project mushroomed quite a bit. We've now got a good male plug which made 2 good parts, one out of fiberglass cloth, and one hybrid cloth and blown strand reinforcement. I'm going to test out both to see which I like better...

xdbx

Adventurer
More Skampin...

First time running the furnace overnight. A bit of a pain to start, but once the pilot was nice and hot, it was solid. Fan was a little loud though. I'm going to look into swapping that in for a quieter one, and see about instaling a reostat/fanspeed controller. Will have to see how low I can go before the sail switch cuts out.

Also ran the fridge on 12v for the first time in transit. It worked great, but killed my type27 battery in short order. I believe ~20 hours of run time. Definitely need to get my act together and get my charging system set up.

Anyway, enjoying mine now! Hoping all this helps those in need. Here's a neat photo my better half snapped this weekend in upper michigan. Quite the artist she is... :)

465666101516680801905943488120-L.jpg

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
More Skampin...

First time running the furnace overnight. A bit of a pain to start, but once the pilot was nice and hot, it was solid. Fan was a little loud though. I'm going to look into swapping that in for a quieter one, and see about instaling a reostat/fanspeed controller. Will have to see how low I can go before the sail switch cuts out.

Also ran the fridge on 12v for the first time in transit. It worked great, but killed my type27 battery in short order. I believe ~20 hours of run time. Definitely need to get my act together and get my charging system set up.

Anyway, enjoying mine now! Hoping all this helps those in need. Here's a neat photo my better half snapped this weekend in upper michigan. Quite the artist she is... :)

Looking sweet! Love the front bumper! I need to get lights back on mine! Im in the same boat as you. Really need to get the battery isolator setup going. Been on my to-do list to order everything for a while now!

xdbx

Adventurer
.... so this weekends offroad adventures ripped out one of my poor skamp's secure points. Turns out i should have used backing plates after all.

Will photo the damage and the fix this week, along with some other goodies. Hope ya'll are finding some useful ideas in here :)

conor

Love the build and thanks for the info! Just picked up a '92 Skamp and like you, I have it in a larger pick-up ('08 F-150 with a 6.5' bed). How do you secure your camper? Mine doesn't overlap the bed rails much, so I'm worried a frame mount system would touch the outside of the bed. And the distance between the camper Eye-bolts and the bed rails is fairly short, so I'm not sure how well bed rail mounts would work. plus the angle isn't the best I would think. Any advice would be great. Thanks!IMG_8497[1].JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater