Upgrade axel shafts?

TxhardrockJK

My axel seals are now leaking, looks like both front and rear on the driver’s side, about 800 miles after I regeared. The garage is going to take care of it, but it’s frustrating and makes me wonder if they used the master overhaul kit I bought. So now I’m thinking upgraded axel shafts since they have to tear into them again. I’m on 35s and have no plans to go bigger. My question is how necessary is it? I will never be a rock crawler, I do like the mountains and technical trails, much more of a overlander.
A 32 spline set (U- joint) is around $1300. Opinions? Who’s done it?D0996BAB-E82B-4EFB-80D4-0D3F7DF45774.jpeg9755F28B-B020-464A-8060-EB3AFC2C65E9.png

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Factory JK shafts are bigger than usual, the chromolly shafts are way overkill for your application. Will help sell the vehicle later on if you decide to sell it.

TxhardrockJK

I don’t doubt that it would be overkill and I would rather the axel shaft break than my pumpkin explode if I’m on a mountaintop

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I don’t doubt that it would be overkill and I would rather the axel shaft break than my pumpkin explode if I’m on a mountaintop

Highly unlikely. I flat towed my 2004 Wrangler LJ last spring with an Atlas transfer case. According to them if I ran the Jeep in neutral and t-case in gear every 300 miles nothing would happen. Well, that didn’t work, I fried the front output bearing and something gave. Thought it was the Dana 30 ring gear, but once I got home turned out I snapped an axle shaft. Bought a Currie HP Dana 44, and the Atlas was covered under warranty. A win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online