Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Fortunately for you and those that prefer the four door option, it is available in that configuration stock from the factory. For those minority of us that simply prefer a two door long wheel base version, our only choice previously has been an 04-06 LJ or a permanent JK-8 conversion performed by a body shop (which I previously owned.) Hopefully before too long I will be able to offer an alternative DIY 2 dr kit that can be reversed when the owner is selling/trading it in. It is not about requiring the removal of the rear doors, it is about the personal preference of having a 2 dr JKU. Just FYI, I am working with a boat builder to bring the below hardtop to market later this year...but that is another thread. Not trying to hijack this Ursa Minor thread. I was merely showing a personal preference and current project plans. Original intent was not to gain your approval. :ylsmoke:

It's a wicked idea.

There is a guy in Oman that made a hardtop like that for his J8 by grafting a 2 door and 4 door hard top together.
It looks awesome

Here's a thread: http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=3402

Here's what it looks like:
IMG_7644_zps450998fc.jpg

-Dan

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
It was never my expectation or intent for John to change anything on the Ursa Minor. I was merely showing my own project design and as a fabricator and custom vehicle builder, what I am working to create for my own use. Thank you for your opinion on the "real world," but here is a link to the national ad campaign BrightHouse ran featuring my shop in my "real world."

bigfish

Observer
Sure if you are wiping your posterior with money... anything is possible.

But given the history on the subject of a JK camper, only a handful of companies have tried their vision in the market. Ursa Minor J30 being the most successful, followed by the Adventure Trailers Habitat, EarthRoamer JK and a few other one hit wonders. Only the J30 and Habitat are still produced in any real quantity.

Ultimately, it comes down to how many units you can market and at what cost. It's one thing to make a one-off custom job, it's a whole other thing to market it to the masses.

I suggest you start a build thread that those interested in the subject can follow along. I will subscribe just to see if the idea takes off. I monitor this thread for info on the Ursa Minor camper and I would personally appreciate it it we kept it on that topic.

I don't have a fancy fab shop at my disposal. Therefore, when I was in the "dreaming" and "photoshopping" phase, like you are now, I decided that rather than nitpicking over the details, I laid out some reasonable money for the "off the shelf" Ursa J30. Now I have a quality, practical product from Ursa Minor that I am very happy with and would recommend to anyone considering a RTT for a JK. I've since modded it to meet my personal needs.

Of course, you don't need anyone's approval to do your own thing, but you should take the reactions of other for what they are. Some of us have already been down the path you are on and can see the difficulties that lay ahead of you.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Not sure what all the hate is for (well, it at least reads that way). I don't think Mudicon is looking to manufacture and sell a full camper, but only a "bolt in" conversion package for those (and I would be one) who would love to see a long wheelbase 2-door, if only for aesthetic reasons, without forking out ~$10k for a Mopar JK8 conversion, an Adventure Camper truck conversion, or a Kustom Koachworks JKL stretch conversion. A bolt on filler for the rear doors (that could be reversed in the driveway, if backseat access is needed) is a cool idea! Is it for necessary? No. Is it practical? No...but really, is everything we do to outer rigs "necessary" or "practical"? If I wanted practical, I'd drive a Corolla as a DD and have a truck with a luxurious camper and a trailer for a quad/dirt bike to explore trails. I prefer to drive a Jeep. And I'd rather read threads by people who think outside the box and make something (like Mudicon is proposing, and how jsherb and others are doing) than see another post showing the latest bolt-on bling or installation of 35s wrapped around 22" Chrome wheels (not that anyone on ExPo is doing that, but that is common on other forums...which is why I frequent ExPo more than any other).

I'll be following Mudicon's thread if he posts one up. :coffee:

goin camping

Explorer
I have been following for a while, and am about ready to pull the trigger. I have been hoping to locate a used Ursa Minor first to made my initial prototype mods, but since I have not located one, I guess I need to order a new one. I don't need/want the rear doors and seating area so I am thinking about the following mod to provide more interior space. I have reached out to Eric at ActionTruck and am trying to purchase the rear door delete panels he has developed. With those, the rest of the mods will be to the Ursa Minor itself.

View attachment 280477

Very interesting. While I like the four door for ease of entry/exit and practicality. I do like the look of the two door.

So I can't see me wanting the two door. The only thing that matters is that if you like it enough to build it. You should.

I really hope you do a build thread as you turn this into reality.

bigfish

Observer
It appears he edited his post that originally suggested he was producing his own top commercially and his project is some sort of "prototype". I'm not hating on his ideas, but its not OK to highjack a popular thread to gauge interest in a photoshoped "prototype" design. This struck a cord with me since he appears to have some commercial production motive. The 2 door unlimited idea deserves its own thread.

jungblud

Observer
I am curious if the part # is correct. I checked on the Roadmaster website and this part number is listed for "2004-2007" Rubicon. The TJ platform ran from 1997-2006 JK platform did not start until 2007 and a search request for my 2012 states none available. I don't believe the rear sway bar for the TJ and the JK is the same. Any one have any info on this? A call to Roadmaster unbelievably did not yield an answer... never mind that their instructions reference a Sprinter van... http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/1129-132.pdf

My local Camping World was happy to order the Roadmaster for about $400! I thought a steel rod with a couple of bends in it shouldn't be priced like it was made of titanium so I refused the part and did a little research.

Turns out the Hellwig 7/8" sway bar I found works amazingly well. While obviously not quite as stout as the Roadmaster it certainly is effective at keeping the Jeep flat on turns compared with stock. Very pleased with the $142 part.

Hellwig 7706 Rear Sway Bar
SKU: HLW-7706

Last edited:

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Need more interior/exterior photos of the J30. I'm still about a month out before mine is ready and I'm getting impatient waiting to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nice! thanks.

Do you have any pics of how you mounted and ran the wires for those those solar panels
(they are solar panels, right?)

Thanks!

-Dan

I think in the second picture (head on) you are seeing the aluminum rack he uses to haul his SUP board , visible in the third picture, falling into a bottomless hole.

bigfish

Observer
20c3c8134a60d8da526414fcb8bdaca6.jpg

Posted this a while ago. It's just some aluminum angle stock. The bolts were glassed into the turtle shell. The wires go from the black box and are routed along the side of the shell to the black strip on the tent fabric. There is a sleeve there that hides the factory electrical for the lights. From there I have a hole drilled through the lower section and the cables are run down to the charge controller under the seat via the b-pillar.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Hummm.... Doesn't look like there is any airflow possible under the panels - how well do they work in hot conditions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater