Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

I was at Abenteuer & Allrad (Adventure Wheel) Overland Show 2015, in Bad Kissingen, Germany 04-07 June 2015 and saw lots of pop tops but only one on a Jeep and i think it was a one-off. They used the original hard top. and cut into it. They sealed (fused) the T-tops Certainly not a clean as the Ursa. Kudos to Ursa to bringing the technology to the US and to Jeeps

View attachment 289305

View attachment 289307

View attachment 289308

i have a bunch more pictures but do not wan to hijack this thread. Just wanted to complement Ursa!
:)

Hi,

Was also in Bad Kissingen.

The JK roof at Nakatanenga is a proto type only (and already displayed last year). The idea is charming to use the original hard top.

The Ursa one is great but expensive. This low budget solution would be good enough for me. I would never use the internal tent access. Would use the way via the spare tire only.

According to a Nakatanenga employee this project is one hold. Sad!

Cheers,
Guido

rubicon91

Explorer
e06af82524f6b298ae4bb9a4fa6c0a4e.jpg

Finally got my lift sorted.

Specs:
37x1250R17 BFG KO2s on AEV Salta wheels
ARB 2619/2620 springs with JKS ACOS on front and rear
OME 60066L/60067L shocks
JKS advanced geometry kit
Roadmaster 9/8" rear sway bar with Synergy drop brackets.

Very pleased overall on trails and on mountain highways. Its firm and planted despite the weight, but flexes well with the front sway bar disconnected. I feel it was better than a AEV setup I tested that was similarly loaded. However, this was designed to be like a dump truck in that it only rides well when fully loaded. Since my Jeep is always loaded this is not a problem for me. I'll take more and better photos later.

Man I have to say that is one beautiful looking Jeep there!

ventura911

Adventurer
Rear side window questions

Are the rear side windows tinted? If so, is the tint equivalent to OEM?

Thanks,
Kevin

lysol

Explorer
I copied the original image from http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/jppricing.htm and used my fantastic MS Paint skills to modify it... lol.

Has anyone installed flush mounted LED lights in the side of the top like in the image below? It could be below the awning so you could use it while off-roading as well as while camping. Would be nice to have left, right and maybe rear LEDs flush mounted into the top.

completepaintmatch_2014light_zpsvm3ntrtx.jpg

Last edited:

jungblud

Observer
I copied the original image from http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/jppricing.htm and used my fantastic MS Paint skills to modify it... lol.

Has anyone installed flush mounted LED lights in the side of the top like in the image below? It could be below the awning so you could use it while off-roading as well as while camping. Would be nice to have left, right and maybe rear LEDs flush mounted into the top.

completepaintmatch_2014light_zpsvm3ntrtx.jpg
I like your idea of the side lighting however I would mount them in the middle of the rear 'section' and away from any edges instead of forward near the pillar as you have indicated. This would only be a shift rearward of 8" or so and would avoid the corner around the rear door which is a higher stress area.

I would also recommend you find the smallest flush mount possible and go with high end diffuse flush mounts (Rigid Industries, Baja Lights, etc) so it is a one time install.

I'm now pondering this as a mod.

rubicon91

Explorer
I like your idea of the side lighting however I would mount them in the middle of the rear 'section' and away from any edges instead of forward near the pillar as you have indicated. This would only be a shift rearward of 8" or so and would avoid the corner around the rear door which is a higher stress area.

I would also recommend you find the smallest flush mount possible and go with high end diffuse flush mounts (Rigid Industries, Baja Lights, etc) so it is a one time install.

I'm now pondering this as a mod.

I do not know why you couldnt. One of the options that Ursa Minor offers on their website is the Rebel Offroad black out for the side windows. This is Taylor at Rebels Jeep and if you look here he has lights on both sides with the black out kit. Granted it isnt the Ursa Minor top but if they offer this I dont see you couldnt just add it to the build.

Attachments

• 11206002_1623715971206028_4764338566594563100_n.jpg
    11206002_1623715971206028_4764338566594563100_n.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 11169892_1623715111206114_5286511473876572364_n.jpg
    11169892_1623715111206114_5286511473876572364_n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 59

lysol

Explorer
Actually, I wonder how much clearance is behind where I placed the yellow rectangle to the roll bar. I don't seen any dimensions on the flush mount Rigids, but the SR-Q flush mounts are about 2.5" wide on the outside surface. Moving it back might work Jungblud. The benefit to having them up high would be to use them while driving off road, but they would be in your face and likely unusable while camping.

Last edited:

jungblud

Observer
Actually, I wonder how much clearance is behind where I placed the yellow rectangle to the roll bar. I don't seen any dimensions on the flush mount Rigids, but the SR-Q flush mounts are about 2.5" wide on the outside surface. Moving it back might work Jungblud. The benefit to having them up high would be to use them while driving off road, but they would be in your face and likely unusable while camping.
Those were the lights I was thinking of when I read your post. I have some duallys above the spare which are great for setting up camp or in tunnels for visibility (amber filters are nice).

Another approach that would avoid the cutting is to add them to a roof rack. I'm planning solar panels 100w x 2...no bikes up there!

There is definitively clearance there above the roll bar although I put that dead space to use for some sleeping pads for bad weather sleeping 4 inside the Jeep.

I'll put them up on the roof most likely.

lysol

Explorer
You know what? Another approach could be to use the awning mounts to create/bolt on a small bar that is almost flush with the side of the top. If you did it right, you could still bolt an awning on top of the bar mount. You could then mount a light or 2 to the bar.

ARlZONA

Observer
I ended up with serial #100 with a friend installing #98 the same day. Left San Diego late so the first use as that night heading back to Phoenix.
The jeeps are two years apart, when I looked for my 2015 white was the only one on the lot with 4.10, I was really hoping for Silver, oh well.

And yes, sharp eyes will notice tops have a slope to them now, Jon made this change a few units ago.

20150530_060619_resized_1.jpg

20150530_060810_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:

dwatts

If there are any J30s rolling through Zion National Park, I'd love a chance to show the wife what I've been wasting all my time researching. Thanks!

MTSN

Explorer
I ended up with serial #100 with a friend installing #98 the same day. Left San Diego late so the first use as that night heading back to Phoenix.
The jeeps are two years apart, when I looked for my 2015 white was the only one on the lot with 4.10, I was really hoping for Silver, oh well.

Very cool! I actually really wanted white explicitly for the J30 to match w/o paint and ended up with orange, so it could be worse! :D (That said I actually love the color now)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach