Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Eagle05

Adventurer
I was also curious if a roof mounted solar fan, like the one James Baroud RTT comes with, would be beneficial. When I emailed Ursa Minor about it they basically said they had no experience with it and didn't advise putting a big hole in the middle of the roof. For us in this humidity, it might be a requirement some day after some trial and error. Mandatory research study time I guess.

IMG_8027.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I was also curious if a roof mounted solar fan, like the one James Baroud RTT comes with, would be beneficial. When I emailed Ursa Minor about it they basically said they had no experience with it and didn't advise putting a big hole in the middle of the roof. For us in this humidity, it might be a requirement some day after some trial and error. Mandatory research study time I guess.

I bought a little 12V fan that powers from an internal battery or from USB. It uses so little power I leave it running all night when it's seriously hot/humid and it has made all the difference here in west africa. I wish I had optioned the upstairs USB ports, then it would be extremely easy to leave it plugged in.
This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GPHO0XY

-Dan

JDaPP

Adventurer
This thread has been a really valuable resource for me as I dreamed, then sat on the fence, then planned and finally pulled the trigger on a J30 top of my own. Hoping to have it installed later this month. So thank you to all who have shared here!

A question: A common theme with RTTs, particularly the canvas style, is that using an anti-condensation mat under the mattress is desirable in humid climates or winter. What is everyone's experience in this area? Do you find the mattress, particularly the underside getting damp? Do you find that it is helpful to remove the mattress when you get back to ensure that everything stays dry and mold free?

Thanks in advance!

I lived in central Florida for 3 years with a ursa minor top and I never had any issues with mold, condensation or humidity. Fans were the big helper, I used battery powered mostly but I was only doing weekend camping.

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
We joined the club! After much thought and research we decided to the J30 route for our style of travel and camping. I had been in contact with John from Ursa Minor and was getting close to placing the order when a used one pops up for sale in Colorado. It took a couple weeks to get together but now its official! I want to thank John at Ursa Minor for taking the time to answer all my questions about the top. He really helped make me feel comfortable about buying a used one and will be there if I need anything for it. The seller coloradokid and his wife are a pleasure to deal with and the top is in excellent condition! I can't wait to get out and try this thing out!

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128 (1).jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
Well I got home from picking up the top and decided that the white had to go!
For less than 50 bucks I bought 2 cans of truck bed liner, a couple 3M scuff pads, some poly and masking paper.

IMG_4144.jpg

After a couple hours of prep work it was time to start spraying the bed liner on the top. I decided to just do the outside edge and up to the first rib.

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

I am super happy how it turned out and matches the rest of the top really well!

ExploringJeeps

Delivery ideas?

We just purchased a J30, and I'm trying to figure out how to get one delivered. Anyone know of dealerships in Chicago that have dealt with them? I only have a hardtop that we plan on keeping, so I can't drive to San Diego without at top. I don't have access to a loading dock, and it seems like the crate won't fit on a lift gate. Not sure how I can get it off the truck and into my garage for installation. What have other people done?

Thanks for a great thread here. Tons of information.

drapnea

Can someone detail how they attached a rear canopy to the J30? I just ordered up an ARB 1250 awning and it is being shipped. I have a trip planned in about a month. It looks like theroadchoseme had John do it but I'm curious if others have tried to do it with success. It looks like the key is getting it high enough above the 3rd brake light that it doesn't get hit from the rear glass, but still is mounted to the lower portion of the camper. If anyone has pictures, measurements, etc. it would be very helpful.

Something like this but pictures of the mounting brackets up close and with the top open to show where they attach:

africa-jk-arb-awning-rear-mount-1440x960.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Can someone detail how they attached a rear canopy to the J30? I just ordered up an ARB 1250 awning and it is being shipped. I have a trip planned in about a month. It looks like theroadchoseme had John do it but I'm curious if others have tried to do it with success. It looks like the key is getting it high enough above the 3rd brake light that it doesn't get hit from the rear glass, but still is mounted to the lower portion of the camper. If anyone has pictures, measurements, etc. it would be very helpful.

Nice photo! haha.

Yes, John put mine on there and it's been great.
I just went through all my photos, and I don't have any up-close of the brackets Ursa made.

Give John a call, I think he mentioned putting these brackets into production.

FYI if I was doing it again, I would find someway to make the rear awning waterproof to the jeep when it and the rear-glass are open.
It's an excellent sun shade (I'm sitting under it now), but terrible in a downpour, the rain can freely come in between the awning and the black part of the hard top.
That being said, the 1250 is so narrow it's not fantastic in rain anyway. With a little wind and sideways rain, the "strip" of dry land it provides is only about a foot wide.
I think it needs sidewalls to be useful in rain.

-Dan

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer

Here is another approach to mounting a rear awning.

cowboybirder

Observer
Finished (?) with my take on the perfect overlanding vehicle

Installed the AEV 2 1/2" lift Saturday and the project is complete (for now).
IMG_2564.jpg
Ursa Minor J30 top
]IMG_2577.jpg
Kitchen Partner JK Stove has since been installed
IMG_2580.jpg
AT Overland 5# propane tank
IMG_2596.jpg
AEV premium front bumper
IMG_2599.jpg
HiLift extreme jack on AEV rear bumper and tire carrier
IMG_2605.jpg
AEV 2 1/2" lift

We leave for northwestern Ohio for a week of birding this Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_2577[1].jpg
    IMG_2577[1].jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2606[1].jpg
    IMG_2606[1].jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2597[2].jpg
    IMG_2597[2].jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 66

cowboybirder

Observer
don't know where the thumb nails came from

Installed the AEV 2 1/2" lift Saturday and the project is complete (for now).
View attachment 397452
Ursa Minor J30 top
]View attachment 397453
Kitchen Partner JK Stove has since been installed
View attachment 397454
AT Overland 5# propane tank
View attachment 397455
AEV premium front bumper
View attachment 397456
HiLift extreme jack on AEV rear bumper and tire carrier
View attachment 397457
AEV 2 1/2" lift

We leave for northwestern Ohio for a week of birding this Sunday.

Newe BF Goodrich KO2 tires in 24x10.5r17 to come when these are worn out another 5000 miles or so

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues