Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Love everybody's photos of their rigs. Earlier this month my wife and I drove 4,625 miles from the Canadian border to the Mexico border and back to pick up a J30. We hit up Anza-Borrego Desert SP, Joshua Tree NP, Mojava NP, Deathvalley NP, and Yosemiti NP on our way home. Love the quick set up and take down especially for road trips.

Man that sounds like an awesome little journey

dwsmith

Double Rainbow

20160506_180627-S.jpg

Last edited:
I am thinking of sleight tent trailer and going with one of these a few questions?
How much do they weigh? Is it something that you could lift off with a block and pulley system ? Like I do with my current hard top.
So i could put he soft top on when not camping.
of the the two tops
how many of you guys have the j180
what are the weight of the j180 vs the j30
I like the full standup room of the 180 but the cost is a lot more.
What are your egrets and what if anything would you allude differently?

I think when i got mine John told me my j30 is about 100# over stock top
I have no regrets and and very happy with it.

I also have a hellwig 7/8" rear sway bar, rear Old Man Emu HD springs (660#) and front Old Man Emu mediums (330)

I also did an upgraded front axle and did a bigger brake kit all around.

you are welcome to check it out at the expo I will have it in booth 113E

with full gear loaded Im at 5820 total weight

goin camping

Explorer
I can stand up in the J30.

Something to consider if you camp in the desert a lot like I do. The J30 being a hard top does not flap or get wind whipped in the desert winds. The J180 being a long tent seems like it would be susceptible to both of those.

Stock suspension and have not noticed any difference with the J30 added.

drapnea

Less canvas to dry out also with the J30 and bed is ready in 30 seconds. My kids sleep down low and me/wife up top.

Still running stock suspension on a 2013 JKUR and don't really notice much difference with the extra 130lbs up top.

On a side note I have a stock dark blue hard top for sale in the Seattle area if anyone is interested. (PM me).

jeepovich

Explorer
Unit 43 is here. I have lost count of how many nights and 4 low range miles are under the belt. JKU and J30 is like peanut butter and jelly...

[video]https://youtu.be/XjI8xjb9XWM[/video]

Last edited:

Ericwc

@Charlie56 Nice Pictures and video, noticed you had one rig with the J30 and one with a hard shell roof top both on JKU's. How do you feel the setups compare, pros cons of each?

Thanks
Eric

Charlie56

Adventurer
The other JKU has a James Baroud Evasion RTT sitting on a Gobi Rack.
The J30 hands down won the setup and takedown timed challenge.
The RTT has more head room and seemed a lot more comfortable to lounge around in during the day.
The RTT could fit more stored gear (bags, pillows, pads, etc) when closed than my 1st generation J30.
I now rarely use the interior access panels. It's not convenient when two people are in the J30 and the rig is loaded down with gear on a long trip.
My 3rd party ladder was much better than the RTT stock ladder, especially for shall we say, for us heavier set guys.
We both had issues with condensation on one cold damp night. The RTT had a fan that when turned on, dissipated that condensation (so they say).
They were able to strap gear to the top of the RTT. Maybe I could on the J30 but I don't.
For some reason my interior lights stopped working on this trip. No, it's not that the switch was turned off. (Have to trouble shoot that one)

I like my J30 a lot, but can see some advantages to the RTT.
I think I would be happy either way.

Ericwc

The other JKU has a James Baroud Evasion RTT sitting on a Gobi Rack.
The J30 hands down won the setup and takedown timed challenge.
The RTT has more head room and seemed a lot more comfortable to lounge around in during the day.
The RTT could fit more stored gear (bags, pillows, pads, etc) when closed than my 1st generation J30.
I now rarely use the interior access panels. It's not convenient when two people are in the J30 and the rig is loaded down with gear on a long trip.
My 3rd party ladder was much better than the RTT stock ladder, especially for shall we say, for us heavier set guys.
We both had issues with condensation on one cold damp night. The RTT had a fan that when turned on, dissipated that condensation (so they say).
They were able to strap gear to the top of the RTT. Maybe I could on the J30 but I don't.
For some reason my interior lights stopped working on this trip. No, it's not that the switch was turned off. (Have to trouble shoot that one)

I like my J30 a lot, but can see some advantages to the RTT.
I think I would be happy either way.

Thanks good info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL