US cabover chassis options - Mack??

Adventr.us

As I noted on another thread - I'll just admit up front I'm a total rookie. Not to travel, camping and adventures - but definitely to expedition vehicles. It's years away still that we'd build/purchase, but I'm starting to think about the use cases for our next step, and an expedition vehicle may be the answer. I really appreciate those who've shared the design trade-offs made during their builds on here, it's been extremely helpful.

I understand from those, that to build a cabover-based design, at least one I can use long-term here in the States and with the amenities/living space we'd like, my options are likely the Acela Monterra (or the unrefurbished versions), the Kenworth K370 (with a custom 4x4 or 6x6 conversion), or an older model (possibly European, if over 25 years old.) (At least at this stage, the FUSO looks too small for our application.)

However, driving into work today, I saw a Mack truck with a cabover design. Their website shows both the LR and the TerraPro models. The LR looks closer to the "medium-duty" range of the Kenworth, but looks like it has serious ground clearance issues in the cab - it's made for crew getting in and out of it all day. However, the TerraPro looks more interesting. The marketing scree says it's designed for construction, which would imply some off-road usage. I've searched these forums, and found one thread from 2011 where it was discussed. Nothing since. Anybody know why the Mack TerraPro just isn't even on the radar in these build discussions? Is it too heavy for the application? (It can't be too far off the Acela, can it?) Is there some reason it can't undergo a custom 4x4 or 6x6 conversion like the Kenworth? Crazy expensive compared to the other options? Some other reason?

Adventr.us

Well, I have at least a partial answer to the question - specs say the cab is optimized for a single operator. None of the pictures on the website show a second (passenger) seat. I wonder if that's fixable ...

Adventr.us

Look at the astronomical GVWR.
I see that. But I'm a total rookie. Help me understand :) The low end of the Mack TerraPro GVWR range looks similar to the Acela Monterra 6x6 to me ... which was the platform for a beautiful SLRV build featured in another thread. And the Mack has several suspension options, including "vendor", which I suppose means you could adapt it to ride well at the lower end of the GVWR range?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Overland trucks want a softer suspension for comfort and better grip on uneven ground. Comes down to the weight of your camper. Many folks end up downrating the suspension by removing leaves or changing springs.

Do also note that a camper tends to have a constant weight, that is, it is not loaded and unloaded, but rather tends to run at a constant, heavy weight.

The chassis has possibilities…
Although I wouldn’t want something longer or heavier than what I have now due to mobility considerations.
The transmission options are good. I would consider the Roadranger 11 speed 9ALL in either manual or automated manual form. Even with a 2 speed transfer case.
And of course with full locking rears. And pick axle ratio carefully, with consideration to front driving axle that is planned, tire size, and transmission top gear.
PS: just looked up specs of available Mack 14 speed which is available as automated manual. REALLY good ratios: 0.78 top gear, 32.04 1st creeper gear. Better than 9ALL!!
Believe me, with something that big and heavy, you will be glad to have it eventually.

Last edited:

Adventr.us

I guess the question is what is your application that needs something that big?
Still defining all the use cases, but including at least: Extended travel. Part-time mobile office. Basecamp for adventures. Able to haul our toys: gravel bikes, road bikes, inflatable SUPs. I'm picturing something similar to the Acela 6x6/SLRV unit "poohbearusvi" shared on another thread. Maybe a bit shorter, his is a 6900 mm box, maybe 6200-6400 would be better for us. Large enough for some creature comforts in extended travel - but small enough to get closer to some trailheads and interesting places. For example, I don't need to conquer the White Rim Trail in whatever solution we end up with. I'd rather cycle it (or portions of it). But I do envision something capable enough, and not too large to, drive up to WRT from Potash Road to set up a basecamp for cycling some sections - while knowing full well I won't go down Shafer Trail in the rig.

(I have seen a youtube video of an Earthcruiser going down the Shafer Trail, by the way, so I get that there would be advantages to a smaller rig. And I will make sure to check one out at Overland Expo East this weekend, just for kicks. :)

Last edited:

billiebob

Look to the American Historical Truck Society.

50 years ago the medium duty cab over was king.
And the guys collecting, restoring, rebuilding them are fanatics.

Many of them build them as liveaboard RVs.

There are many sites which cater to old American trucks.... all have classifieds.
Think vocations too. ie Fire Trucks, Construction Trucks, Logging Trucks, Highway Semis..... Vocational Trucks.

ps, don't rule out short conventionals like old 4x4 fire trucks.
the advantage of conventionals is maintenance and even checking the oil.... plus a smoother ride.

Fire trucks are often well maintained low mileage trucks. Many 40 year old fire trucks have under 12K miles.
s-l1600.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

here ya go
all done up and ready for adventure.... but maybe too small ??

sold for $241,000.00
bid went up from $168,000.00 in 25 minutes, got to love auctions

Bring a Trailer does not sell a lot of Overlanders but the ones they do tend to be exceptional.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle