Utah in the fall 2015 - 9 days, 475 off-road miles, and 14 hours of digging! (PICS!)

RIDGE

Adventurer
Somewhere along the trail we saw this chick walking...by herself. Remember, I was still expecting to see kids partying at the river. I started to think maybe they were coming in from the other side of the river and that's why there weren't tracks. I just figured she got pissed at her boyfriend and was walking home to get attention.

So she cautiously approached the van after I showed her I already had a chick with me. I've had vans my whole life and know the drill (and various tricks, but that's for another trip report). It turns out, this chick is walking the National Parks by herself! And I thought WE were being brave/stupid. I guaran-effing-tee you some dude cheated on her with her best friend, posted nude pics, and stole their "love child" (a black lab puppy).

Anyway, after asking her some bizarre questions like, "Are you carrying?", I asked how deep the water was. She said something and touched her **********. Kristal translated it for me as "very deep." In all the confusion I forgot to freak her out even more and ask for a picture. I should've told her it was for identification purposes...hindsight is always 20/20.

6 miles and 6 hours from the previous nights camp, we reached the Dirty Devil River. The kids never came. Nobody had been there in months probably, it hadn't been crossed in an even longer time.

This needed some thought put into it! It's hard to tell from pictures, but the embankment on the other side was 5 feet tall, STEEP, and soft. The river bottom was very muddy and seemed similar to quicksand. You couldn't see the bottom and the water was flowing pretty good (later, we found out from the BLM that it was at 100cfm). The water was too cold for sane people to venture in (again, explains the kind of issues that girl had).

I'll be back...

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Thanks again guys! I just pulled over for lunch...I'll try to post up some more pics.

Hurry as I've been waiting for the digging ordeal with great anticipation. I love others misery especially while enjoying a cold beer! Great report and thanks for posting.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
No pics of the wanderer? Was she kitted out at least? Certainly not lost?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
No pics of the wanderer? Was she kitted out at least? Certainly not lost?!

Sounds like he might have been a deer in headlights? Maybe got a firm punch in the arm from Kristal for it? :D
Girl had some big cojones too, wow. I applaud her but man, with the media's spotlight on sickos in the world, she has to be super careful! On our Mighty5 UT trip last year we ran into two younger women pushing a "trike" stroller up the exit of the White Rim Trail. They were from CT or something, walking across the country and exploring as many parks as possible. Nuts, but at least they had each other!

SmoothLC

Explorer
Humm . . . a desert wanderer. Seen a few of those myself along the way. Hope she made it out ok.

Looking forward to the rest.

RIDGE

Adventurer
When I first saw that river, I knew the smartest thing to do was turn around. I was super pissed and felt like a failure for not getting my winch mounted before the trip. Kristal tried to wade out into it and see how deep it was, but she sunk in the mud and almost fell over. She also said it was so cold she couldn't stand it, so I didn't even try.

There was a few things going on that were telling us to go back; the unknown depth, the current, the mud, the super steep embankment on the other side, and the fact that nobody was there (and hadn't been there in a long time!) We didn't do much but think for about 30 minutes, and neither one of us wanted to quit.

Our plan was to eat lunch and fix the van. The ARB wasn't working because it had blown a rubber hose, and I was pretty sure we were going to attempt this crossing, so we went to work. I simply cut the hose and spliced it with a couple hose clamps and a 9mm socket.

In the meantime, we figured out the most intelligent way to do something we shouldn't! Lol. We unloaded all the stuff out of the trailer that couldn't get wet and got all the recovery gear ready. I thought about using my tow straps wrapped around a tire like a make-shift winch (if things got bad). I turned the rig around and slowly backed into the mud. This gave me the option of keeping the van tires on drier ground, and unhooking the trailer if I started to get stuck. The mud didn't seem too bad so I kept going.

We quickly realized that the water wasn't boob deep (except for a couple holes) and I easily backed all the way across. There was no sense in trying to back the trailer up the embankment. The next step was to unhitch the trailer, turn around, and try to make a line up the other side.

There was no way in Hell I was driving that. It doesn't look that bad in pictures, but I tore the front license plate off on my first attempt.

Every time I tried, the mud got deeper and slicker.

The third attempt was with a little speed but I didn't even make it as far as the first time. It was getting bad...I knew I only had one or two more tries before the mud got too bad.

Kristal didn't want to chance being responsible for losing my van to the Dirty Devil, so I dropped her off on the other side and backed out to safety. Horse chicks have a reputation for not being afraid of hard work...And I like crazy, so we're a good match!

I kept trying...she kept digging.

After a couple hours I was able to drive up the embankment without the trailer. Needless to say, we were super pumped! I turned around and went back for the trailer. Something that my friend Dennis taught me, was to not throttle it in the mud. It's difficult to feel the van sink and not floor it! Believe it or not, I was still pretty nervous when I came across for the final time with the trailer.

It's hard to describe how accomplished we felt! We conquered the Dirty Devil, and we sorta smelled like it...so we stopped for a shower and talked about how cool we were. Hahaha.

The sun was starting to set and we had gone 7 miles! The trail after the river was in bad shape. The 10psi in the tires made it live-able.

RIDGE

Adventurer

It was a long day...we did 21 miles in 11 hours! We found a flat spot to camp on with a nice stone fireplace. We were still fist-pumping each other!

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wow, huge kudos to both of you!! Backing the trailer in first was brilliant--one benefit to towing a trailer I suppose.
Can you or anyone else answer this; for a situation with mud like that, would snow chains on the rear, or on all 4 corners, help more, or just make all 4 corners big mudballs and actually make the situation worse? Looking for experience for the future.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
This is a how to clinic in real life over landing well done lots of hard learned past lessons being applied here 🏻🏻🏻🏻🏻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__

Members online