Utah: Lake Powell & Zion NP 9-15 to 9-22

teotwaki

Excelsior!
While out exploring in the powerboat we wanted to stop by some well-known Indian ruins

What was interesting was that across from the location in a small side canyon I spotted these small steps leading up a sheer cliff

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Here is an excellent link about Zion's famous Subway Slot Canyon

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway.htm

I will post the few photos that I have and then have to wait for my sister in law's hi-resolution shots. It is not a casual hike and many unprepared folks have been killed or injured due to carelessness. Properly prepared and guided, you will have quite an adventure.

On Thursday we returned the houseboat and powerboat and raced up to Zion in order to pick up my permit for going into Subway.

The plan was for my s-i-l to start from the top with me and go through the difficult parts. The rest of the group would start from the bottom end and meet in the middle.

After an initial hike that involves some routefinding

we found ourselves at the first obstacle, a rappell over a very large boulder. Here is a shot of my s-i-l coming down the boulder, just as we practiced at Lake Powell

ready for touchdown!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
more photos...

We had to swim through here (under the boulder) while pushing our floating packs

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
A Few New Pictures

Rigging the rope

Ready for a short rappell

Into deep water

Doing the splits...

Heading to bowling ball alley

Last rappell into Subway

Subway!

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Awesome. I always tell people that in order to really -see- Zion, you must hike. No driving around to the little pullouts. Looks like you know what that is all about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3