V6 Tacoma clicking noise

Bugslinger

Adventurer
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2009 V6 Tacoma, but when I told it for a test drive the other day I could hear a clicking/ticking noise when I would accelerate. I have been trying to research this topic and have found a few contradicting opinions anywhere from, "it is normal and benign in a Tacoma", to "it is the injectors", all the way to someone claiming it is a cracked exhaust manifold that needs to be replaced. The noise only occurs under acceleration, and not during idling. Does anyone have any experience with this, or knowledge of what it may be? I really like the truck and want to buy it, but I don't want to get caught with some expensive problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
It's referred to as the "Tacoma tick". ;)
I don't have any technical knowledge about it, but they nearly all seem to do it. Mine is brand new and does the same thing. If I accelerate hard, the supercharger whine covers it up anyway!

Bugslinger

Adventurer
So........ I need to get a supercharger and the problem is fixed. That is the best resolution ever. Now I just need to convince my wife.

P2W

Observer
So........ I need to get a supercharger and the problem is fixed. That is the best resolution ever. Now I just need to convince my wife.

Or turn the radio up louder, does it have the subwoofer option?

Try "Motörhead" that should drown out just about anything.

Dibbs

My dealer said it is most likely the injectors. On my FJ it was the PCV valve so….

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Are the injectors an expensive fix?

I think he is just saying that the dealer is calling it normal and blaming it on the injectors or the pcv valve or whatever other ideas they come up with. I have a set of injectors with only a few hundred miles if you want to buy them but I don't think it's going to help you. ;)
Different injectors with the supercharger, same noise.

Search "Tacoma tick" on YouTube and see if it's the same as what you're hearing. To me it sounds almost like a leaking exhaust manifold.

If the truck is otherwise satisfactory, have a dealer check it out. Or find some other examples of used tacomas and drive them.

Actually I re-read the original post that said it is not during idling, somehow I missed that before. Mine does it during idle mostly. Still could be normal but it would probably not be difficult to diagnose a leaking manifold.

Here is a thread worth looking at as well.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/t-sb-0044-14-feedback-engine-ecm-reprogram-pinging.337705/

Last edited:

Bugslinger

Adventurer
The truck is at a dealer and is being sold as certified preowned, but that doesn't mean I trust everything they say. I just want to cover my rear as my last purchase did not end up so well. There also seems to be slightly more rust than I would have expected, even though it is mostly contained to the engine bay and interior seat rails. I am guessing the truck came from somewhere a lot of salt was used.

Toyotas have had similar engine noises for quite a while. My '90 22RE EFI motor in my '57 Land Rover makes injector ticks. The 3RZ in my '83 pickup makes injector noises and is has a crack in the exhaust manifold, which is common. I bought a OEM tubular style exhaust manifold for it and before I installed it I checked it for leaks by filling each tube with water. I found a bad factory weld in one of the tubes.

Since you state that it is louder under acceleration, I would bet it's an exhaust leak. There are plenty of places for it to leak.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I agree. I have the Taco Tick in mine. Worse when it's cold and pretty much goes away when it's up to temp. If you hear noise under acceleration, most likely a leak at the manifold. My sister in law's '08 Tacoma made noise under acceleration that got progressively louder over time. She took it in to the dealer and they replaced the exhaust mani and it solved the issue.

Basil.

I have the same tick in my 07 FJ (Same engine as the newer tacomas) louder when cold and gets quiet as it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased my 06 Tacoma and noticed it at first too. Coming from 99 4runner with the reliable 3.4, it worried me. After some searches as described above, it seemed common and there are a few things that you can do to try and lessen the noise.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I'll have to listen and see if my 4.0 does. On my 2f and unimog, the valves clatter. Sound like a sewing machine. Maybe my hearing isn't tuned to a slight tick.

The following is a signature.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco