Valpro Water Jerry

Dirtball

Does anyone have experience with these Valpro light blue "water" jerry's? I can't find any info on them anywhere, but they are authentic Valpro. I picked up some locally brand new/never used for a tremendous deal. I want to store/ use gasoline in them, but I'm wondering if the lining is safe for that. The gasket looks different too. I plan to paint or otherwise label them accordingly if I do. Any reason I can't? I'm no expert on Jerrys, but I'm sure someone here knows.
Thanks for the help.

This is my first post in the community, but I hope to contribute much going forward.

Attachments

• 20200421_180239.jpg
    20200421_180239.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200421_180254.jpg
    20200421_180254.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200421_180310.jpg
    20200421_180310.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200421_180218.jpg
    20200421_180218.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200421_180204.jpg
    20200421_180204.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

krick3tt

Adventurer
Don't use them for gas, use them for water as they are designed. Get the ones for gas, a mistake could be a tremendous problem later down the road.
I had one several years ago, now I use the Scepter cans for water.

Dirtball

Thanks for the reply krick3tt. I understand that cans marked for fuel are best, but I got 10 of them for $8/each. I will keep some for water, but I'd like to use a couple for gasoline too. I am wondering if the construction/lining will allow them to hold gas safely. I will paint and label the ones used for gas to avoid any mistakes if I use them that way.

krick3tt

Adventurer
actually they appear to be the same construction so you might just paint the ones for gas red to avoid confusion. That is a great price. I once bought 4 of the green Nato cans for gas at $10 ea from a guy that was buying them military surplus by the pallet load when I went to a North West gathering in Oregon.
The blue cans I got from British Atlantic rusted out within a year so I switched to the molded Scepter containers for water. That is the reason, that and possible confusion, that I did not recommend them for water.
Also I use water bricks for long term storage of water, changing out the contents periodically.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The gasket is easy to change. I ordered a bunch of gasoline gaskets when I got a quartet of NATO Diesel jerry's for a good price a while back.

The lining? I have no way to know whether it's the same, gas-compatible, or not.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I also have extra gaskets for the spout but it is also just as easy to take it out and turn it over to reinstate the seal. As long as the gasket is not cracked it will seal fine.

D

Deleted member 215671

Usually the lining is different for fuel. Interior wise a rust proofer lining that is safe to drink from is generally not the same for fuel products (gas, diesel, and kerosense etc). The color is not so much important as you can 99% of the time swap fuels in a fuel can temporarily without issues. I've had gasoline in yellow and diesel in red (all plastic) and never had a fuel issue so far. But i have yet to put any fuel in my water can rotopax or other containers longterm esp in a metal container. Just my thoughts if they are worth 2 cents.

Dirtball

Well, I filled one with 10% Ethanol gasoline just to see what will come of it. After some time, I'll pour it out and check for degredation of the gas and the lining on the can. Hoping that it will be okay and that I will be able to use some for fuel.

I'm wondering about recoating the inside with a fuel safe lining if what is in there fails.

slvyj

Observer
My understanding is its done so in the middle of the night, you don't mix the two. From a military operation perspective, makes sense to me.

Dirtball

I believe the Scepter plastic cans are that way, but my understanding is the Valpro/Wavian cans are all 3-handled. I think current military issue in the U.S. is the plastic Scepter & LCI manufacture. I could be wrong - it's happened before.

Can handles are for night handling as stated as to not be mixed up and lights needed.

Also the water cans and fuel cans are of different thickness and the caps are different and not interchangeable when it comes to sealing.

Cali has all kinds of crazy laws for fuel can's and although I've never been messed with for Scepter, I have before with non-marked cans with fuel. Also, State and National Parks can enforce it as fuel can's have some venting requirements and obviously impact spill. Fuel and water expand differently in heat and that deals partly why construction are different.

Otherwise, I would say the options are there for your choosing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl