Very Good Coolers - YETI

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

If your like me and getting tired of the usual Coleman and Igloo coolers and how they don't keep ice; then, I suggest you look into YETI Coolers. They are very pricey (I bought an 85qt unit for $380.00) BUT it proved to hold ice. I left on April 23rd for a week long Bigfoot/Camping trip here in Virginia and returned home on May 2nd. I used a total of 4 bags of ice, including the initial fill and it lasted until Wed. May 4th with the water still being rather cool. The weather was from 60's at night to the low 90's on most days with a medium amount of humidity. I used 6 bags of ice to keep drinks cold in a small igloo picnic basket cooler that lost ice at a rate of 1 bag each day. This cooler is much better designed, built and will last me for years, not to mention Bear Resistant. I'm planning on buying a second one slightly smaller soon and giving my Coleman's and Igloo's away. Check out: www.yeticoolers.com for more info. :victory:

Pete Wilson

BTW - I got mine through Bass Pro Shops

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I just can't justify spending that much on a cooler. I don't abuse my coolers, I clean/dry them when I'm done, I don't live in bear country, and I don't buy 'cheap' no-name coolers anyway. Maybe if I used a cooler to make my living it would be worth it to me, but...

And yet that still doesn't keep me from wanting one. Walked into Cabela's last weekend and they had built a 6ft wall of Yeti coolers right by the front door, damn them. Very nice coolers, they are indeed.

ddog45

Adventurer
Yeti cooleras are where it is at. I had problems with the lid on my 85qt cooler and they replaced it for free. I will never part with my yeti cooler.

trump

Adventurist
You can buy the nicest cooler you want, but ice is always going to melt. When the price of said cooler is near the cost of a fridge it's a poor decision IMO. To each their own, but why not a fridge? ...I'm just curious why a cooler may be a better choice for what you do.

cjlewis

SE Expedition Society
50QT Yeti Cooler $254 (delivered)
43-50QT Fridge $500 - $1000

Where do you get a Expo worthy fridge for $250?

trump

Adventurist
$250 is about what I paid for mine used in the classifieds here about a year an a half ago. You're thinking short term though. Think of the cost you'll put in the cooler over its life in ice, the cost of soggy food, and you can forget keeping something frozen. So, Like I said, for an expensive box that merely keeps thing cool a while... seems like a poor investment. You'd be better off keeping a cheap cooler and feeding it more ice.

This has been debated plenty though, and I'm not trying to start a fridge vs cooler argument. Just wondering: why the OP's choice was the cooler instead of ditching the pain that is ice?

Another fan of Yeti coolers. They are sold in Australia as Kosciuszko, although I find Yeti easier to spell. We carry fridges as well, but whole fish go better in iceboxes; ice goes better in iceboxes; there is no power draw with iceboxes; and food & drink taste better out of iceboxes.

550_0285.jpg

trump

Adventurist
We carry fridges as well, but whole fish go better in iceboxes; ice goes better in iceboxes; there is no power draw with iceboxes;

See that makes a lot of sense for someone that will need to store their catch or kill. You don't stick a whole raw fish in a fridge and same for meat from a hunt.

Bluewater said:
...and food & drink taste better out of iceboxes.

I can't follow this one though. :confused:

ddog45

Adventurer
It is a lot easier to trouble shoot a cooler. I used a 60qt norcold on my last trip to Utah I loved having the fridge but I cant say that I really trust it yet. I used my yeti as a dry food box just in case the fridge quit working for any reason.

cjlewis

SE Expedition Society
I really wanted a 50QT ARB Fridge but given I am only taking a couple of trips a year and they will be less than a week it seemed overkill. Instead I went with the Yeti in a similar form factor and I'll see where I get.

Ultimately I'd like to have both at my disposal for reasons mentioned above. I also like to leave a cooler at camp for the family while I'm out exploring or take it to the beach, etc.

If I could get a reliable fridge for $250 it would be in the Jeep already. So as long the price of ice doesn't go the way of gas, I'm set...at least for this year.

Cheers!

...and food & drink taste better out of iceboxes.

I can't follow this one though.

Yeah that might just be me; but I swear a cold drink out of an icebox is just right, and a cold drink out of a fridge is just ordinary; unless you can add ice to it.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Yeah that might just be me; but I swear a cold drink out of an icebox is just right, and a cold drink out of a fridge is just ordinary; unless you can add ice to it.

The perfect way of seeing things. I plan on getting a Yeti when I have the time to use it a little more than I do now. For me, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than a fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner