Very Slow Build of my '04 Ram 2500 Hemi

JayT

Hello fellas, I like many have lurked on this site for a year or so now, and I feel like I can now start to focus on my truck a bit and that I should share with the community. My truck, which I bought used in 2009, is an '04 Ram 2500 ST with the 5.7L. It was exactly what I was looking for, gas for fuel as diesel prices were a good 20 cents per litre more than gas, and the ST trim means I have rubber floors, manual windows and doors and nothing electronic to break. Exactly what I wanted. Quad cab gives the wife and I ample room for secure, dry storage when we camp and travel through Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and BC which we have done every summer and winter since I bought it. This truck is my DD (sometimes, I carpool to work usually), I want it to be functional for long drives on pavement and off. I equate it to my Rossignol Bandit, alpine skis: 60% on piste, 40% off. Since I have owned the truck I have kept meticulous records of all oil changes, and any maintenance or repairs. Repairs so far include but are not limited to: front left hub, spark plugs, rear brake callipers and piston. Last trip I averaged 18L/100km highway, dirt road and city.

Goals:
I will caveat this post by saying that my mechanical knowledge is limited and I would like to make the truck more reliable and keep it close as possible to stock.
-Get ride of the chrome on fenders
-tool box or inbed storage as a temporary solution done $60 from local classifieds
-new head unit with bluetooth and iPod capability
-a canopy (cap) for winter
-get some aluminum HD Ram wheels for my summer tires
-install fog lights in stock location
-brighter canopy and dome lights
-repair driver's seat hole that is leaking foam bits
-maybe a CAI

Pictures of moving out to Manitoba from BC in August 2009. It towed the Mazda 3 with no issues, however that little car was heavier than I expected.
IMG_1710.JPG

Some pictures of the truck as I bought it:
IMG_2203.jpgIMG_2708.jpg

Where it is now, with repairs done to body due to $5500 worth of hail damage summer 2011:
IMG-20111128-00024.jpg

I picked this up for free from a guy that worked for me, gonna install it within a couple weeks:
IMG-20111125-00023.jpg

AND, to keep all you picture hungry folks satisfied for a week or so, our last trip through the Crow's Nest Pass in Alberta (July 2011)
IMG_2359.JPGIMG_3360(2).jpgIMG_3366.JPGIMG_2360.JPG

LASTLY, I'm looking for any tips, tricks, recommendations and suggestions for this rig. So far I'm pretty happy with it!

JayT

Got the stereo head unit and CAI installed. The sony unit connected with no issues to my BB and works well. I also removed the cigarette lighter threw a 12v power cover over the receptacle. I don't smoke and like the clean look. The cover was $8 from MOPAR.
IMG_3754.jpg

For Christmas my Dad bought me this K&N so I installed it as well (I kept all my stock parts). Very straight forward install and I immediately noticed a throughtier sound when accelerating and an obvious increase in fuel economy during the 1400km trip home. During one leg of the trip (Medicine Hat to Swift Current) I was down to 15L/100km with a serious tailwind! Either way happy with it so far but I am expecting backlash on this forum as the K&N was probably the most regrettable mod on the "Lipstick on a Pig" thread. Either way here's a pic:
IMG_3756.jpg

Also, over the break while the truck was parked at my parents farm, a pack rat moved into the engine bay, tearing up insulation and creating a little home. After reading and hearing horror stories about the stubborn little buggers, I sorted that out in a hurry with a trap and some peanut butter. Another update coming soon!

JayT

image.jpgphoto.jpg

Got some ammo cans painted up. I think I'm going to use them for towing kit and tool storage to get that junk out from under the back seat. Still haven't decided how to mount/secure them in the box, but I'm not keen on drilling any holes. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk