Vintage Military Tires...

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Looking at running some vintage military tires on my small off road trailer behind my jeep. However, I am concerned about balance, shock absorbtion (lack of), and wandering that may occur with bias ply tires.

The trailer currently has a crap 225/75/15 passenger radial and I'd like to go taller w/o going wider (or even go a little skinnier) - like a 30" by 8" wide tire that is tough enough for trail usage. The passenger radial has all sorts of slits in it and I run it around 8-10PSI...The trailer weighs less than 700# full, wet - most likely it is in the 300-400# empty. (I'll weigh it later).

Here is what I'm considering...is this asking for trouble?

I will likely get one of these as a spare (since it is so much narrower then anything else I can find)

Am I going to shake/vibrate everything on-road and bounce it to death off road? Can I run bias ply tires at low pressures like a radial?

Summit Racing : Coker Tire

Mfr Link : Coker Tire Raxion

cok-59132_ml.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

I’m coming from the opposite direction. I’m lightening up an M101A1 trailer from the 100lb each 37” military tires and Budd rims to 235/85r16 on Toyota 6x5.5 rims. The wheels match the 4runner I’m towing with and tire height works out to be the same.

A big heavy spinning tire is harder to stop than a smaller passenger one and your 700lb trailer might add another 700lbs in cargo, so you might consider some electric trailer brakes like I’m doing.

4xdog

Explorer
For that little weight, I'm not sure any of your concerns will make a difference. (It wouldn't to me.)

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I’m coming from the opposite direction. I’m lightening up an M101A1 trailer from the 100lb each 37” military tires and Budd rims to 235/85r16 on Toyota 6x5.5 rims. The wheels match the 4runner I’m towing with and tire height works out to be the same.

A big heavy spinning tire is harder to stop than a smaller passenger one and your 700lb trailer might add another 700lbs in cargo, so you might consider some electric trailer brakes like I’m doing.

Brakes are on the eventual list...given the weight of this thing and having had full loaded w/water/gear before, at 700-800# complete, I barely know it is there. I need to get rid of the slipper springs before heading down that path. (I'm a huge proponent of brakes BTW...all my other trailers have them).

For that little weight, I'm not sure any of your concerns will make a difference. (It wouldn't to me.)

Not sure I follow...my concerns are too stiff/too bouncy/too much vibration with the bias ply tire. Are you saying that the diff between radial mud tire and bias won't matter?

Before switching out the 3500# springs for a 1000# set, I had to toss in a few hundred extra pounds just so it would settle (and this was still running at low PSI).

Mischief

Bias ply tires are indeed stiffer than comparable radials, side by side on a dualy the bias will carry all the weight. That truck tire you showed looks really stiff and also requires a tube which, in itself, requires higher pressure to prevent pinching. 15" tires taller than what you have are seemingly non-existant so you might want to consider finding some 16" wheels that would fit or just finding newer replacements for what you currently have. On a trailer as light as yours just about anything in good shape would probably carry it

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have been running military tires on my 1/4 ton trailers for years and have never had issues with them in terms of their handling on and off road. I use tubes and have them balanced and they work just great. The trailers are generally light so you are gonna have some bounce no matter what tire preference you use. Good shocks/springs on the trailer help that more than a tire would. My only issue is that you would not be able to use one as a spare on your vehicle if you an emergency and needed a tire.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Maybe I'm missing the point, but your trailer has five-bolt hubs. If it is the same bolt pattern as the Jeep, why not run the same tires as on the Jeep so that you then have two extra spares for emergencies? Assuming they will fit in the trailer fenders.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
What kind of wheels does it have? It it is like a M416 then CJ jeep wheels will fit and you use 30, 19.50 15 tires

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Bias ply tires are indeed stiffer than comparable radials, side by side on a dualy the bias will carry all the weight. That truck tire you showed looks really stiff and also requires a tube which, in itself, requires higher pressure to prevent pinching. 15" tires taller than what you have are seemingly non-existant so you might want to consider finding some 16" wheels that would fit or just finding newer replacements for what you currently have. On a trailer as light as yours just about anything in good shape would probably carry it

Turns out they have a tubeless version that is effectively a 30/9/15...and is too wide. I'll check out the 16s, but I think they get wider as they get taller...

The other reason I'm looking at these vintage tires is that all the modern sizes around 30" are too dang wide for both the running tire and the spare.

I have been running military tires on my 1/4 ton trailers for years and have never had issues with them in terms of their handling on and off road. I use tubes and have them balanced and they work just great. The trailers are generally light so you are gonna have some bounce no matter what tire preference you use. Good shocks/springs on the trailer help that more than a tire would. My only issue is that you would not be able to use one as a spare on your vehicle if you an emergency and needed a tire.

Awesome that you have direct experience...are you using replicas NDTs, running old tires, or similar traxion style tires? Any preference in brand? What pressures do you run in the tubes on the trail or on the highway? Any issues cruising at 65-70mph?

Shocks are on the short list - any recommendations?

Also on the short list before an upcoming 1800 mile trip (1600 highway/200 miles of gravel/dirt) in 2.5 weeks... just need to get this thing ready to haul a paltry 500-600# tools & 160# of water. The slipper sprigs have done well with delrin and uhhmw this far. I'll evaluate spring compression and total weight before leaving...with the tongue bearing approx 100# of weight, it will likely be fine. Proper springs /spring hangers are on the long list (with brakes)

Maybe I'm missing the point, but your trailer has five-bolt hubs. If it is the same bolt pattern as the Jeep, why not run the same tires as on the Jeep so that you then have two extra spares for emergencies? Assuming they will fit in the trailer fenders.

33s or my soon to be 35s would require a ton of modifications to the trailer and I kind of dig the simplicity now. I'm going to hang a spare off the rear gate...the tongue is being lengthened 8-12", getting reinforced, adding some alum tool boxes...forward of the wheels will be getting 4 Jerry h20 can holders.

Bolt pattern...need to verify, pretty sure it is 5x5.5. rims are 15" and seem like they are 5-5.5" wide now (also need to verify).

Before you all think I'm nuts, this trailer has done about 12k miles miles in it's current state, with about 2.5k off-road. It tows well, just a little bouncy at times and the crap tires are turning, well, to crap.

Last edited:

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
@Mischief

Looks like I was wrong...there are more skinnies available in a 16" rim...hmmmm... decisions decisions. I'd have to buy 3 x 16" rims to make it all work...

Mischief

Those will all be tubed sizes. Which is fine until you have to pull the tube to fix a flat. No plugging and airing up. If you can find 16" that fit your hub then a 215 or 225/85 would work

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Well, I think I have come full circle...am leaning towards a modern radial - likely a tire in the 30" x 9" range and then use a vintage/old skool tire for the spare (keep the weight and thickness down). I play on hanging the spare off the upper rear gate. Many of the tires for 16" rims come in LRE - which is both heavy & stiff. The search continues. Will update once I make a final decision (watch me end up with some random crap passenger radial tire again. Ha! At least it would be new...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob