VW Amarok Overland

mallcrawler

I've heard rumors that the Amarok shares the same chassis as General Motors Colorado and Canyon... They do share quite a few characteristics and dimensions... Can you prove or disprove this?

Thanks!

Redrock

Observer
Mallcrawler, that's not accurate - the Amarok is different in nearly every dimension, it's more rigid, and most importantly GM and VW don't cooperate on development.

The Amarok is a very capable truck. I'd be reluctant to buy one for serious long-distance driving, because it still has a ways to go to prove itself and VW reliability is historically mediocre, especially early in a model generation. Toyotas have less to prove. It'd be a moot point in a fairly developed area, but I'd not want to have a turbo go in the middle of nowhere.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I saw a lot of Amarok's at the Rallye Aich des Gazelles in Morocco last week and had a good conversation with someone from VW. He said there are no current plans to bring the Amarok into the US, however this week he is in Washington to convince the US government to relax US diesel standards since VW's plan is to goto 100% diesel in 5 years. If the standards are able to be modified we can see the Amarok here, however only with the I4 CRD engine and in limited numbers.

Redrock

Observer
I saw a lot of Amarok's at the Rallye Aich des Gazelles in Morocco last week and had a good conversation with someone from VW. He said there are no current plans to bring the Amarok into the US, however this week he is in Washington to convince the US government to relax US diesel standards since VW's plan is to goto 100% diesel in 5 years. If the standards are able to be modified we can see the Amarok here, however only with the I4 CRD engine and in limited numbers.

I post pretty frequently on VWVortex, and I've never heard of such a plan - and we hear about what's going on at VW of America directly from insiders. I would be totally astonished if they were even considering going 100% diesel, let alone trying to make it a reality. They do okay selling small numbers of diesel wagons and such, but they're trying to become a major volume manufacturer, and to do that in the US, you can't be selling cars with expensive diesels in them.

My guess is that you were either mistaken, or the person you were talking to was.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I post pretty frequently on VWVortex, and I've never heard of such a plan - and we hear about what's going on at VW of America directly from insiders. I would be totally astonished if they were even considering going 100% diesel, let alone trying to make it a reality. They do okay selling small numbers of diesel wagons and such, but they're trying to become a major volume manufacturer, and to do that in the US, you can't be selling cars with expensive diesels in them.

My guess is that you were either mistaken, or the person you were talking to was.

This is a forum and I assumed someone would chime in like this. This person was from Germany and I can only attest to what I was told. He said now they are at 90% diesel and the plan would be contingent on US standards being met or changed.

mallcrawler

Mallcrawler, that's not accurate - the Amarok is different in nearly every dimension, it's more rigid, and most importantly GM and VW don't cooperate on development.

The Amarok is a very capable truck. I'd be reluctant to buy one for serious long-distance driving, because it still has a ways to go to prove itself and VW reliability is historically mediocre, especially early in a model generation. Toyotas have less to prove. It'd be a moot point in a fairly developed area, but I'd not want to have a turbo go in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for clarifying this! I have to say I was overly optimistic when I heard rumors of the the trucks "possible reltations".

Redrock

Observer
This is a forum and I assumed someone would chime in like this. This person was from Germany and I can only attest to what I was told. He said now they are at 90% diesel and the plan would be contingent on US standards being met or changed.

They aren't at 20% right now, let alone 90.

ExpoMike

Okay, now that I have seen pics of this truck (nice BTW), I now know what it was I saw in the local B&N parking lot. I saw a truck but with a VW badge and was really confused. It had a rear mounted spare tire swing out (think it was a HitchGate, like I have). I was like cool but what was it. It was likely up from Mexico, since we get a lot of vehicles from there, up in San Diego.

Cool rig!

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
I know VW has a long way to go compared to Toyota and other brands. This platform was chosen for travel around Colombia and South America, where VW has an extensive support network.

Will it be 100% reliable in the long run? I don´t, but I did drive all the options (Dual Cab Pickups) offrered in Colombia and the VW won my vote.

Also, Toyota and others didn´t win a reputation based on catalogs and brochures; it´s reputation is based on the experience of people like me who took the risk and tested the unknown!! :)

Opinions so far:

CONS
- Seating position is a bit low for offroading
- I wish the fuel gauge was more accurate
- Ride height is too low, stock skidplate was pretty bangged up when reaplaced (at just 4,000 kms.)

PROS
- Excellente load carrying capacity (1 Ton.)
- Fuel Economy (30 miles per gallon on best tank - 21,4 miles per gallon on worse tank)
- Good engine performance at any altitude (we drove her above 4,000 meter in the Andes las week)
- Confortable interior

Latest Mods:
- Added a set of iguana 4x4 Rocksliders
- Added a hitch and shackle mount as a rear recovery point

Latest Overland Trip: Sierra Nevada del Cocuy

This is definitely one of the most remote regions in Colombia. We covered 2,400 miles in 10 days, but since the Sierra Nevada is located in the high Andes some roads are just too narrow and with too many turn to make a decent progress. Some 50 mile sections required 3 or 4 hours to drive trough.

We stayed at the Kanwara Hostel at 4,000 meters of altitude. Waypoints are available for those of you who are interested.

dsc2194b.jpg
Mine is the one in the middle

dsc2203js.jpg
Guican, the gateway to the Sierra Nevada del Cocouy

dsc2207w.jpg
The trail to Kanwara

dsc2214ls.jpg
Ritak Uwa peak at night

dsc2215.jpg
Kanwara at night

dsc2217l.jpg
Warming up with a fire...and some scotch

dsc2227m.jpg
The trail to Laguna Verde (Green Lake @ 4400 meters of altitude)

dsc2230r.jpg
Surprisingly the 3.0L Turbo Diesel GU Patrol struggled above 3000 meters

dsc2250u.jpg
Zafiro. Just one thirsty horse

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
Seikel Desert Suspension

It´s been a while since my last report on the Volkswagen Amarok. We have now covered 15,000 kms. and upgraded the OEM suspension with a Seikel "Desert" Suspension along with a set of Maxxis MT762 tires of the 235/85R16 variety. We also installed a diesel power chip from PSI in Belgium and the little 2.0L now delivers 190hp and 25% more torque!

The skidplate and rocksliders have paid themselves many times and fuel consumption was barely affected by the tire size change and chip install.

I now need an urgent storage solution for the bed.

Seikel Suspension parts
seikeldesert.jpg

seikeldesert01.jpg

seikeldesert02.jpg

We have since used the Amarok as a support vehicle for our Rally racing Team in the Guajira Desert and as a route recognition vehicle for a future expedition to the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.

Guajira Desert Rally Raid 2012

dsc0163pqj.jpg
Local "Fuel Station"

dsc0164xu.jpg
Fuelling the Nissan Patrol race truck

dsc0278ysa.jpg
The nissan blasting accross the desert, we won 1st place in the stock category

dsc0392l.jpg

Scouting the route for the Sierra Nevada Expedition. The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is the highest mountain closest to the sea, it´s two higest peaks are abobe 5000 meters in altitude.

dsc0401il.jpg

dsc0422qz.jpg

dsc0424jw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven