ZooJunkie

Explorer
Anyone see this?
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/volkswagen-concept-pickup/1049915/
vw1.jpg

Neat!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Vertically stretched Golf 5 door with a box tagged onto the back.

Kinda dig it.

They made the bed removable it appears. VERY smart!

ZooJunkie

Explorer
If you look closely, it's wearing a live axle in the rear. :wings:

I hope this makes it to the USA and in their favorite TDI format.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Interesting.

I had assumed it would be FWD based like the Ridgleline is but if the rear has a live axle I wouldn't rule out a normal drivetrain.

Looks like a big vehicle - at least too big for current consumer tastes and the 1.9. Maybe they'll revamp the 5 cyl? What does Audi have in the diesel parts bin?

I hope it has a proper SLA suspension instead of Mac struts in the front.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
If I could get a pickup version of my 2 door 08 GTI I would buy one in a heartbeat. Or even a pickup version of the Tiguan would also be sweet.

ktrout01

We'll never see it here in North America. VW has no plans to import it here. VW has a bunch of cool trucks but it'll never happen.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I was wondering what I would find when I clicked on this thread... I thought maybe it would be one of those awesome MAN/VW Trucks. I really like the look of those things.
This is what I'm talking about:I could see making this into a fun Expo rig eh
MAN_VW_Truck_War_&_Peace_Show_2006_001.JPG

Here's my dad's "VW Truck" otherwise known as the Caddy here in the states.
Caddyfront.jpg

I've always wanted to see one of these turned into like a prerunner with maybe a swing-arm bug-esque suspension with an IRS diff mated to a nice Audi 1.8T with some goody go fast bits... DOn't know how you'd get a tranny to hook up since there were never any real "RWD" VW's buit there were Syncro's and the Oh so cool "county" I bel;ive that was an Off-Road oriented/lifted Golf with a syncro drivetrain. NAd there was the quantum here int he states so maybe I could get a driveline to go back there...I miss my VW's...Here's my Jetta just for fu8n... 200+ at the Wheels ;) oh baby and yea those are 15's... just some pklainnjane looking Jetta with a Euro Grill and some deeop Skirts... Bye Bye :D
JettaFront.jpg

Sorry for the Hijack, back to the VW trucks...

Cheers

Dave

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
Here's my dad's "VW Truck" otherwise known as the Caddy here in the states.
Caddyfront.jpg

I was about to comment on those old rabbit trucks. We had one for quite a while and literally beat the crap out of the poor thing, it just kept going and going and going and going. Got so bad it couldn't start even in the summer unless you rolled it down a hill and poped the clutch in 1st. Sold it back to my father's friend (who we bought it from) at somewhere between 280K and 350K miles and he drove it for quite a while longer. 40HP diesel with a 4spd, front wheel drive. Who needs 4WD when you can bounce your way up the rutted muddy hill at 40MPH. Worked almost every time the first try, though the shocks eventually died from it. Could even do old "death hill" in Northern Kentucky (I71/75) at 40-45MPH on 3 cylinders. I learned to drive it when I was 10 or 11, loved that thing at the time.

I'd definitely be interested in a mid-size truck from them if they can make it a good value, dependable and usable (i.e. towing, mileage, off-road capability.) The Tourareg is ok, but doesn't have enough potential to be viable---for me---off-road wise. Definitely not easy to upgrade properly at least.

I'd also be worried that they'd try to make a US version based on the Dodge Dakota. They recently did this with their van (Routan is a Dodge Caravan rebadged) for US models.

MSG to VW engineers: If you're going to rebadge, please base it on Toyota Tacos or HiLux. Offer a solid-front axle option (upgrade) for us purists and we'll buy!

Navman

Adventurer
I was about to comment on those old rabbit trucks. We had one for quite a while and literally beat the crap out of the poor thing, it just kept going and going and going and going. Got so bad it couldn't start even in the summer unless you rolled it down a hill and poped the clutch in 1st. Sold it back to my father's friend (who we bought it from) at somewhere between 280K and 350K miles and he drove it for quite a while longer. 40HP diesel with a 4spd, front wheel drive. Who needs 4WD when you can bounce your way up the rutted muddy hill at 40MPH. Worked almost every time the first try, though the shocks eventually died from it. Could even do old "death hill" in Northern Kentucky (I71/75) at 40-45MPH on 3 cylinders. I learned to drive it when I was 10 or 11, loved that thing at the time.

Speaking of those old VW Pickups...I knew a guy who worked at the plant in PA building those and the stories he told... If you ever had a squeak that you couldn't find and get rid of, it probably wasn't on accident. I don't remember all of the stories but the workers developed some interesting anti-quality sabatoge tricks to amuse themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77