switches
Subaru Outback Packed up by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
all packed up
camping out by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
cooking some grub
polar opposites by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Grant I have that same shower shelter. Wife thought I was nutz but was sold on it after our 6 day trip. I paired it with the nemo Helio pressure washer. Which doubles as a great pressure water source for washing up dishes at the heavy ***** Bass Pro shop kitchen grandpa bought us. But if your thinking of building up a RTT trailer skip the heavy bass pro shop kitchen just design a kitchen set up with the trailer.

michael_l

Observer
lots of work to do, and ive been lazy

Edgestar 43qt will be here tomorrow (got a killer deal on it)
Have to make a slide for it, latch for it, finish wiring the pump for water system, obtain hose fittings to hook up the shower heater.

Past that its pretty much ready for this weekends trip to Rausch Creek
By the way, where in the world did you find that fridge so cheaply?!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Looks cool but it's also starting to look heavy....I would ditch the screen on the side. They look like they add weight and wind noise while serving no purpose other than looking Mad Maxish. Really I would ditch the whole roof rack but I find them mostly pointless in general. Just my opinion.

Hutch434

Observer
Looks cool but it's also starting to look heavy....I would ditch the screen on the side. They look like they add weight and wind noise while serving no purpose other than looking Mad Maxish. Really I would ditch the whole roof rack but I find them mostly pointless in general. Just my opinion.

Usually opinions are based on experiences. So you can fit a canoe inside your rig? He already filled the inside cargo area with a fridge and a drawer system. Where do you recommend carrying additional things? Not to mention he already has an awning mounted on the rack.

I like the build! any thoughts on trimming the front bumper flat to get rid of the factory joint seams?

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
yeah, cant fit a RTT inside the car....or should you put jerry cans.

I can lift that WHOLE rack up and bicep curl it. its MAYBE 60-70 lbs total.
maybe 15 lbs heavier than my Yakima rack with extension, lower profile, NO wind noise on the side. I do have some at the front, but ill make a fairing to kill that. In addition, There Is no location to store a spare tire in the Subaru cars. They use space saver spares. So I have either the hitch mount I made or roof top. I prefer the roof because I loose departure angle on the hitch mount.

As for cleaning it up. After MAOF and some other stuff, Im going back to Costa Fabrications to have wings fabricated for the bumper to extend all the way around and a rear swingout made to hold this spare and a can. Ill be mounting a pair of pelican cases to the wings on the rack also

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Usually opinions are based on experiences. So you can fit a canoe inside your rig? He already filled the inside cargo area with a fridge and a drawer system. Where do you recommend carrying additional things? Not to mention he already has an awning mounted on the rack.

I like the build! any thoughts on trimming the front bumper flat to get rid of the factory joint seams?

I have experience hence my opinion. I would carry less stuff, pack less stuff, utilize a smaller fridge, take things that don't need refrigeration etc. etc.

Simple cross bars will carry a canoe (or you can go inflatable) and the awning can mount to the rail.

Just my constructive thoughts, it's a Subaru so the point to me is to keep it light, nimble, and retain as much fuel economy as possible.

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I still get 22 mpg on the highway, while carrying the rack, fridge, drawers, tents, sleeping items, food, a winch, steel bumper, bigger tires, and can still sling it down a curvy road if I really want to. Oh, also with a 10 gal water tank full in the floorboard of the back seat. If im gonna go explore, im going to do it as fun and comfortable as i can. This car does it all that I (me, as an individual) requires very well

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I still get 22 mpg on the highway, while carrying the rack, fridge, drawers, tents, sleeping items, food, a winch, steel bumper, bigger tires, and can still sling it down a curvy road if I really want to. Oh, also with a 10 gal water tank full in the floorboard of the back seat. If im gonna go explore, im going to do it as fun and comfortable as i can. This car does it all that I (me, as an individual) requires very well

Great, glad it works for you and you are happy. Not trying to pee in your cheerios.

That is looking pretty boss! Roof racks are hard to ditch once you use them a lot. Our little Impreza has a loadwarrior on it, and regular uses include canoe, camping, spare tire/jerry can for long/backcountry trips, home renos, furniture moving, on and on and on. It's like owning a truck, sometimes. It does add weight, but it's weight I'm willing to carry, on my car at least. We try to pack our Scooby like we were backpacking, plus some luxuries, like a Coleman stove, cast iron skillet, etc. Seems to work well. At the end of the day, if you like it, it works well enough, and makes you happy, than give'r!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater