Wait, do I actually want a van? How about a travel trailer?

kga1978

I recently posted about our intention to get a 4x4 144 Sprinter that we're planning on building out over the next year or so. We're currently using our 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (with a roof top tent + other goodies) for all sorts of off-road camping adventures, but we thought that the Sprinter could provide a platform that would allow us to venture out for longer. It won't be as capable as the Grand Cherokee, but it'll get us to most places we'd wan't to go.

However, the idea of either a truck + slide-in camper or a travel trailer to pull after the Grand Cherokee has also come up - and as of late, especially the idea about a travel trailer. I have my eyes on the MDC XT16 series, which seems nice and would have quite a lot of extra creature comforts than the Sprinter: https://www.mdcusa.com/product/xt16hr-east-west-overland-travel-trailer/. BUT, pulling this after the Jeep, we probably wouldn't be able to go as far off-road as we would with the Sprinter - or would we?

We like the idea of the van because (a) it gives us one living/driving space so we can quickly switch from one to the other, and (b) building out the van would give me a project to focus on, which is much needed... Of course, the van is more expensive, more complex, harder to insure, etc.

Anybody been through this thought process? Any advice?

Overdrive

Adventurer
Each style of RV has it's pros and cons. There is no perfect rig for every situation or style of travel.

My thoughts on that trailer you're looking at...it would pretty much be a chore for your GC to tug it around. You won't be going places off road with it where a Sprinter could go. However, trailers are great for establishing your basecamp...and you go out exploring from there, with a great place to return to in the evening. Vans/slide in's are great if your style is more of being on the move constantly--a new location for camp every night. Decisions, decisions!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Chinese built Australian knock offs are heavy thats one thing people here are consistently warning potential buyers about.

I went full circle covered em all.
Going with an adjustable air suspension, aluminum sides/roof framed Azdel fiberglass siding 20ft front bed toy hauler. Geo Pro 19FBTH.
They need the typical going thru loctite on various nuts, water connectors checked etc. But cabinets are pocket screwed and glued, Bed framing is aluminum welded not staples. No staples used in the Geo Pro’s. Once you have the water system, loose nuts, and electrical sussed out owners are pretty consistently reporting very few issues. Skip slides anything if your doing dirt roads.
I wouldn’t be taking the Australian knock offs anywhere the Geo Pro couldn’t go.

marret

Yeah, that trailer has a listed dry weight of 5115 pounds. Seems a lot for a GC.

This is the van forum...

As stated, vans are great if your style of travel is moving a lot, daily, or as I say, great for traveling, not as great for just camping. This also depends on size of the van. Everything is a compromise.

Another consideration is set up and tear down time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that trailer has a listed dry weight of 5115 pounds. Seems a lot for a GC.

This is the van forum...

As stated, vans are great if your style of travel is moving a lot, daily, or as I say, great for traveling, not as great for just camping. This also depends on size of the van. Everything is a compromise.

Another consideration is set up and tear down time.
If your planning any sort of rugged trips especially transiting hot places then long climbs a very good rule of thumb. Dry weight 1/2 or less your tow rig max capacity and when loaded, people, dogs, water etc your not more than 80% your max.

Alloy

The Chinese built Australian knock offs are heavy thats one thing people here are consistently warning potential buyers about.

I went full circle covered em all.
Going with an adjustable air suspension, aluminum sides/roof framed Azdel fiberglass siding 20ft front bed toy hauler. Geo Pro 19FBTH.
They need the typical going thru loctite on various nuts, water connectors checked etc. But cabinets are pocket screwed and glued, Bed framing is aluminum welded not staples. No staples used in the Geo Pro’s. Once you have the water system, loose nuts, and electrical sussed out owners are pretty consistently reporting very few issues. Skip slides anything if your doing dirt roads.
I wouldn’t be taking the Australian knock offs anywhere the Geo Pro couldn’t go.

I didn't see anything in the Gep Pro about air suspension

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Each style of RV has it's pros and cons. There is no perfect rig for every situation or style of travel.

My thoughts on that trailer you're looking at...it would pretty much be a chore for your GC to tug it around. You won't be going places off road with it where a Sprinter could go. However, trailers are great for establishing your basecamp...and you go out exploring from there, with a great place to return to in the evening. Vans/slide in's are great if your style is more of being on the move constantly--a new location for camp every night. Decisions, decisions!
Agreed. For us a trailer as a base camp works best. As stated above every situation is different. What works best for one person may not be what works best for another. Think about your use case and select the one that checks off most of your wants /needs.

billiebob

Sprinter, self contained, dedicated BIG camper that backs up easy. Has some mobility but it is pretty big.
Grand plus a 5115# trailer, flexible but at 10K#, not very mobile and definitely MAXXED out even on a forestry road. Think home away from home.
Grand plus a 2500# EXPO trailer, you can likely tow the trailer where ever the Grand can go and still have the Grand to tour in.

Trailers are great for vacations based from home since the tow vehicle is fully functional when not camping.
Sprinters are fabulous for full time RVers since the unit is self contained needing no setup to camp but an expensive toy to park when not camping.

I like a Wrangler plus a Square Box for the compact flexibility and low buy in. But I'm mostly camping alone.
DSC_0141.jpeg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Trailers work well for base camping and where parking space allows. Several local dads all run vans due to their snow ski use. Most ski resorts don’t have space for trailers in our region.
Also trailer setup leaves a fully functional unloaded vehicle to be used once your base camped. Definitely an advantage depending on your style of camping. We aren’t sit around in camp people we can sit around at home if thats all we’re doing?

foeix

I've gone through a few iterations of family camping set-ups over the past 10 years...

Short story - full-size trailering and exploring off-the-beaten-path camp spots are incompatible. A pop-up is a happy medium worth looking into.... but they are all built with questionable material/practices.

We moved onto a 144 4x4 Sprinter so that we can get further down the inevitable spur road. The ability to walk into the back is invaluable - especially with kids. I've kept both Land Cruisers because I love them to death .... the Sprinter is more of a long-term fling.

Keep in mind we view the Sprinter as a basic tent vs a proper RV. It's used more as a weekender / road tripper for us.

14486589810_8b373bac10_h.jpg

15312702331_26cae809b3_b.jpg

50300423036_9137e280a8_h.jpg

50127608408_680f50a0d1_h.jpg

51996370489_937d27b1d2_h.jpg
51996641770_722f9fe3fc_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner