Want a RTT but concerned about roof loads. Warranted concern?

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I have a nice 4x8 utility trailer that I hope to someday turn into a camping trailer. Then I'll revisit the RTT idea.

Good point JIMBO.

Thanks,

Nate

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thanks Nate-

I have a nice 4x8 utility trailer that I hope to someday turn into a camping trailer. Then I'll revisit the RTT idea.

Good point JIMBO.

Thanks,

Nate

Also, my wife didn't like climbing up the ladder when I hadit on the Jeep-!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

StevieG

Well Adventurer, I too am in the same boat but if you dont mind me tagging on I have a few questions as well. I too am all hot fired on the idea of a RTT but perhaps a good place to start is the ole roofrack! I have gone to several sites pertaining to the various roofracks out there and was kinda impressed with the idea of using Unistrut as the cross beams for whatever roofrack I assemble. Yet as suspected none of them wanta sell the feet alone! Ive never put a roofrack on my silverado that DOESNT have gutters on the body by the way so Im forced to be a bit more picky when it comes to which one I select. Who sells a sturdy rack foot that adapts to unistrut and also doesnt make my vehicle look like something off the Beverly Hillbillies? Thanks in advance.
Steve

Box Rocket

Ground tents are a way to avoid roof loads but the trade off is that you take up valuable cargo space with a ground tent especially if it's a decent sized one. The Oztent is cool but it's not very small when packed. Ive seen plenty of rigs with roof mounted tents tackle some hairy terrain with a lot of off-camber spots, myself included. For the average overlander, the terrain is much less technical so personally I don't think the roof load is much of a concern in terms of COG. Fuel economy is of greater concern than the roof load IMO. Cargo space is at a premium for me so the RTT makes more sense because it doesn't take up room that I need for other items.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
part of why i got it.

it alleviates two pillows, sleeping bags, 6 person tent, air mattress and mattress pump and batteries.

I literally save a huge amount of space, and roughly 40 lbs total.

plh

Explorer
There is a huge space saving when using a RTT, but I had a conventional type and found it to be a huge PIA to put away. Tent floor was about 6'8" above the ground on top of my rack and I had to be a friggin monkey to get the cover on. Sold it and the ARB rack and now building a pop-top (campteq like). Maybe a Roost style would be better for base campers.

here is a question about cog. If you have a rtt lets say 100 lbs on top if you were to put say 100 lbs of water down low In my case this would be in jeep kJ with ht back seat removed and the water stored on the floor in a built in container would that balance things out or would say the momentum of having a weight up high on a tilt be too much to be overcome by water down low?

plh

Explorer
I never even noticed the ARB rack (90? lbs at least) and RTT (110lbs) on top of my Montero

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
part of why i got it.

it alleviates two pillows, sleeping bags, 6 person tent, air mattress and mattress pump and batteries.

I literally save a huge amount of space, and roughly 40 lbs total.
That's subjective. With a massive ground tent, two plush pads, pillows and bags, my RTT is a solid hundred pounds heavier. The ground set up is arguably more comfortable as well. I do like my RTT, though. It's massively easier to use.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
The hurdle I can't get past is the fact that an inexpensive rtt is way more expensive than a really cool ground tent.

Streaky

Observer
Sorry I didn't read the entire thread so my apologies if i'm being repetitious. If weight is the issue/concern then why not do away with the 50kg generated by the roof rack and go for a quality glass fiber calm shell tent and mount it using roof bars?

I had my Autohome Columbus mounted to my Land Rover Discovery with Front Runner roof rack and it weighed a ton...but when I transferred the Columbus to my new Nissan I didn't need the roof rack and saved myself a whole bunch of weight on the gutters!

Attachments

• Rimz 007.jpg
    Rimz 007.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Patrol2.jpg
    Patrol2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 11

fike

Adventurer
I've run my maggiolina on top of my subaru forester for 15,000 miles. It hasn't felt top heavy, but that is mostly because the car is so low to start with. In the big offroad vehicles, your most dangerous time is when you are doing 80MPH on the highway, so I would consider how high you are and how fast you drive. Of course if you are doing a lot of wild of angle rock climbing, maybe the RTT isn't for you, but if you want to get to remote places on rough roads, the added rooftop weight shouldn't be a deal breaker.

As for setup of a basecamp, the maggiolina air top takes exactly 4 minutes to setup with a partner and 5 minutes if you are alone. I generally carry a standalone awning so that I can reserve my spot and leave it in place when I go on driving trips from the basecamp.

Boats: yes it is a pain that you can't carry both very easily. I have 16-foot kayaks and a 15-foot canoe and I have to choose one. I have considered a lightweight boat trailer like the rack and roll from yakima, but they seem pricey.

On the topic of pricey things, If you are going to mount a RTT, I would avoid that fancy frontrunner rack under the rooftop tent--the cheapest ones are something like $700 and will be hidden under the tent. I have run all over the country with my 130lbs maggiolina on two round yakima bars and had no issues of any sort.

why I love my RTT: it's comfy, I'm out of the food chain, it's quick to setup, it's always dry, it's fairly warm, and the strange looks I get are priceless.

I understand the OPs concerns, and it sounds like a good decision for him. For tall vehicles, I too would think twice.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
That's subjective. With a massive ground tent, two plush pads, pillows and bags, my RTT is a solid hundred pounds heavier. The ground set up is arguably more comfortable as well. I do like my RTT, though. It's massively easier to use.

awning makes up for lack of ground tent. Plus when it rains, I don't worry about a nasty tent I have to set up the next day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad