We do things differently in the uk! My vw transporter camper

neilstubbs

I came across this forum researching expedition trailers.
Here's a few pics of my setup here in the uk. We don't have much off-road hence it's lowered and rolling on 20s with 35 profîle tyres, pretty much the opposite to anything you guys would run!
Still it's great for exploring European Tarmac...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
That's great. That's the first time I've seen a layout where you have forward-facing seating but side-facing dinette. Probably impossible for us to get those seat mechanisms, but I like it.

neilstubbs

Thanks for the compliments!

I couldn't buy those seat mechanisms here either, I drew them up, prototyped in wood and then a mate and I welded them up from scratch. It's not obvious in the pics but they are on linear actuators so they open and fold electronically at the flick of a switch.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the compliments!

I couldn't buy those seat mechanisms here either, I drew them up, prototyped in wood and then a mate and I welded them up from scratch. It's not obvious in the pics but they are on linear actuators so they open and fold electronically at the flick of a switch.

Black magic, in otherwords.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hi Neil, I wanted to dig in a little more on your seat design, since I'm fascinated by the possibilities it opens.

Can I assume that the reel for the shoulder belts attaches somewhere to the backside of the backrest portion of the seats? I like that aspect as it frees the seat location to be independent of proper mounting positions on the van walls.

Also, can I assume most of the "box" under the seat is usable for storage? It seems like the linear actuator to raise the seat back will interfere somewhat in the aft portion, but there'd still be a usable volume there. I'm considering something similar but rather than using the electric actuator, I would just raise mine manually and then use a triangulating "arm" and pin it in place with a removable pin.

Thanks again for posting your wonderful images!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
If the seatbelts attach to the frame:

The frame is less likely to mame or kill if it breaks and the belt doesn't.

The loads on the frame are far greater.

The angles of everything matter significantly more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online